SD Card corrupted RIGHT AFTER I finished the hack

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by SinkyChan17, Jan 9, 2017.

1. SinkyChan17
    OP

SinkyChan17 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    Hi all.

Last night, I followed this guide right through and through with NO issues. everything worked perfectly: https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax)

HOWEVER.. as soon as it was done, I put the SD Card in my PC so I could get some stuff on it, and the MOMENT I put it in my PC, it showed up as corrupted. Put it in my 3DS, wouldn't work.

I had to format it.

My issue is, what do I do now? I'm not sure.. do I have to re-do EVERYTHING? Or are there only certain steps I'll have to do?

2. kittensauce

kittensauce Got a spare screen?

Mar 22, 2016
    United States
    What step were you on right before the SD card corrupted? Do you have another SD card? You shouldn't have lost too much (except for whatever game saves you had, unfortunately). You'll probably just need to get a new SD card, start from the beginning of the section you just did, and finally finish the guide as normal. Be sure to not skip any steps, ever!

3. SinkyChan17
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    I didn't know this posted! When I clicked to post this, it gave me a strange error! It was finished. I finished every step, and it worked. It was literally RIGHT AFTER I finished it that I put the SD Card back in my PC and it was corrupted!

4. kittensauce

Mar 22, 2016
    United States
    Luckily for you, you weren't too far into the guide; otherwise, things might have gotten complicated. Just restart the guide, following every step, and you'll be fine. However, unless you can somehow recover your previous SD card, you'll have lost all of your pictures and saves. It's happened to me, too; more than once, unfortunately.

5. MarioMasta64

MarioMasta64 hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    i think the reason these things happen is because people link to in between parts of the guide rather than the start

Attached Files:

6. SinkyChan17
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I actually completely finished the guide! It was working. I had Luma Updater, FBI and Homebrew Launcher installed. Everything was good to go, but then I put my SD in my computer and it corrupted! So I just want to know a few things, sorry if it's too much trouble!

1) The initial hack itself installs on the system, NOT on the SD card, right?
    2) Since that happened, do I Just need to re-install the cia's for those applications?

7. MarioMasta64

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    did you check the sd card for errors before you began like the guide suggests?

8. SinkyChan17
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    Yeah, I actually did. This is the part that shocked me the most, to be honest. I haven't had an SD card fail on me in a VERY long time. It was pretty shocking.

9. AlexanderLS

AlexanderLS GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2016
    United States
    The 3ds doesn't officially support sdxc.
    When people use sd cards greater than 32GB, the failure usually comes, not immediately but it will come.

I have no idea what size/brand your sd card is.
    You should buy a 32GB from a reputable brand that works flawlessly with 3ds.

Last edited by AlexanderLS, Jan 10, 2017
  10. SinkyChan17
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    I'm using an 8GB card if that means anything :0!

11. MarioMasta64

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    well then. try formatting the sd card and restarting the guide. see if that helps. windows is finicky so even corrupted files make it deny sd cards

12. AlexanderLS

Oct 7, 2016
    United States
    Well then, That certainly isn't the problem.
    I hope you backed up your nand min on your computer just in case.
    SD Cards are cheap, get a 32GB sandisk, preferably u1+.
    Personally, I wouldn't want to use a sd card that has already failed once.
    Sandisk makes the most reliable sd cards IMO.

SinkyChan17 likes this.
  13. SinkyChan17
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    I backed up every time the guide told me to. My 3DS still works, I just don't have those applications on it anymore and i'm just wondering which step I should go back to in the event that you successfully complete the hack and then RIGHT AFTER your SD card corrupts.

14. AlexanderLS

Oct 7, 2016
    United States
    Go back to the FBI inject step.
    Re install all the home brew from the FBI H&S injection.

You should probably do most the prepwork again.
    The files you dled and put into your SD Card do get used for Homebrew.

Last edited by AlexanderLS, Jan 10, 2017
  15. kittensauce

Mar 22, 2016
    United States
    Congrats on finishing the guide. :)
    The exploit does install on the system itself, so you'll only need to copy Luma3DS' arm9loaderhax.bin to the root of your SD card to get your 3DS booting again. You will also need to reinstall all your CIAs (using the FBI H&S injection method, as described above), but it shouldn't be that many, seeing as you just finished the guide.

16. SinkyChan17
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    Thanks both kittensauce AND AlexanderLS! ^___^ that's all I needed to know. Thanks so much!

17. MarioMasta64

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    just format and restore /files9/ /file9/otp.bin /files9/nandmin.bin /files9/nandmin.bin.sha youll need to basically follow the guide from the nand restore section from here

18. TheMynx

TheMynx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    Belgium
    He FINISHED the ENTIRE guide. There's no need for him to restore his NAND again. All he has to do is follow the guide again from the FBI inject section

19. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Nah, format the sdxc card properly, take good care of it, and it works as well in the 3DS as a standard or sdhc card. (Had 128GB card working fantastically, recently upgraded to a 200GB card, and it too is working fantastically). Still, always back up your cards (or external hard drives in general) anyway, just to be safe, once every month or 2 and absolute worst case scenario where you've lost your card somehow, can easily be replaced with a new card and a transfer of your latest backup.

20. zombigrn

zombigrn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2016
    United States
    I had the same problem, but mine was because I didn't pay attention to the message ubuntu was throwing me. I thought it said I could eject but at the last moment I got a glimpse, something about "writing to.."

Mine still reads perfectly, windows is the only os saying there is something wrong with the card.