SD and microsd recommendation for 2DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by lanbladez, Jul 20, 2015.

1. lanbladez
    OP

lanbladez Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2015
    United States
    I am looking at buying an SD card for my 2ds. Would SanDisk Ultra 64GB Class 10 SDXC Memory Card (newest one) work for launching gateway launcher.dat? Since the transcend 64gb SD card formatted to FAT32 that I got off amazon failed to load. launcher.dat works fine on the 4GB card that I got with my 2Ds. Just need a recommendation for internal 64GB SD card, that can execute launcher.dat without problems.

Also would SanDisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card work for both gateway and r4i?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    As long as it's FAT32 formatted, it should work fine. Many people use that card in their 3DS, for CIA installation.
    But do you really need that much space on the 3DS if you have a Gateway?

I have a SanDisk 64GB in my Gateway, the 32GB should work just as well.

3. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    For the 2ds don't waist your money on GW and just spend all the money on a good sd card, maybe 128gb, this is a little overkill but you can fit just about every 3ds game on it

4. samiam144

samiam144 RĂ©gulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    2DS' seem to have problems with loading the multirom menu, so if I were you I would use just an internal 3DS SD card with cias (leaving the gateway sd slot empty), or rxtools.

5. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    You would need to reformat it to FAT32, since launcher.dat goes onto the SD card in the system, not the one in the Gateway. Honestly, you'd be better off leaving that card as exFAT for the Gateway and just throwing launcher.dat onto the SD card that came with the system. Gateway's site recommends somewhere using exFAT when possible on the Gateway, so you don't have to split larger ROMS and just slightly better loading in general.

That said, I know nothing of using Gateway on a 2DS and these other folks seem to be warning against it, and I have no reason to doubt their advice. But then you'll need something else like Cubic Ninja to get it working, don't forget, so it's not going to be free no matter what.

6. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    Also it has 6.x mset which works beautifully with 2ds

samiam144 likes this.