Hacking Scrubbing? How do you effectivly scrub a game?

belomeclone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have some of my games on my computer to try them out in Dolphin, but they are pretty big files. I know about Scrubbing, but I have never been able to do it effectively. How do you scrub a file, exactly?

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
With dolphin just right click on the game and compress iso you will get a .cgz image you can use with it. Wii files are different; There is .wbfs and .ciso which you get with wiibackupmanager and others but they dont work in dolphin

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
wiibackupmanager parses the iso's when you convert files to iso (i'm pretty sure u can even convert/copy iso to iso). The end result is the new ISOs take up less space on the hard disc, but once u copy or move them to another location, they will go back to the full ISO size. So as long as u use wiibackupmanager to move your Wii iso's from one place to another, they will take up less space... however... I still prefer wbfs files, cuz then u can just copy them using windows explorer like normal and they will stay compressed.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Step 1: Scrub the ISO

Step 2: Set the folder that the ISO is in to compressed (right click the folder, and click the "compress" button) Note you must have the ISOs on an NTFS formatted drive.

That's it. This keeps the ISO in an easy to transfer/move format while still giving you all the benefits of a scrubbed ISO.

belomeclone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sao Mortel said:
With dolphin just right click on the game and compress iso you will get a .cgz image you can use with it. Wii files are different; There is .wbfs and .ciso which you get with wiibackupmanager and others but they dont work in dolphin

Do those cgz files work when you put then in WBFS? I mean, how do some people get .iso's that are scrubbed?

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are many programs out there that scrub games...

As far as I know, cgz will only work with dolphin... not a very good solution, but if you only ever plan on using dolphin not a terrible one.

First I think you have to understand what Scrubbing actually does. In Wii games there are basically 2 components... The actual game data, and the filler. The filler is just random data to pad out the games to the full size of a DVD (4.7gb for single layer, 8.5 for dual layer). Most games come no where near filling the DVD, and some take hardly any space at all (wii music, for example, is only a few hundred MB in size) but all that random data compresses terribly.

That's where scrubbing comes in, scrubbing removes all of those random bits of useless data with 00's or FF's... Both of which compress incomprehensibly well. The actual ISO itself is still the same size, but when you use any form of compression on top of it, it shrinks the game down nicely.

TL:DR Scrubbing doesn't make games smaller, it makes them easier to compress. Some form of compression or conversion is necessary to get the game size down. I again recommend just using NTFS compression since you don't have to convert anything ever and can easily move it to different locations/devices as needed.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
sorgelig said:
that's trimmed ISO.

IIRC scrubbed gamecube iso's are smaller.
Trimmed Wii ISO's are fake signed, so you can't burn them to disc and use them with a mod chip or put them on a wode unless you have ios that allows trucha signing.

for running wii games on usb, converting iso to wbfs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-