1. Islay

Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ok, I get the picture, its rude, offence a martial art and a TV set in one , Oh and a gord !!!!!!
    May I ask why it's important if a game has a word or to that are offence , its 1 in a million chance u will find it unless your looking, and look at silent hill u have the loveable tri heads rape nurse zombie
    and sex and gore all over the place and no one cares.

and to Depravo, I think your right, that is offencive, far more then the term that started this topic in the first place, it is saying a race cant do something because of there race, if a business did that there would be law suite or 2 for a few million.

2. Gold_Yoshi

Gold_Yoshi Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Ok, I won't say anything bad about blacks ever...no matter how many times walk around the city and get called a Cracker! [​IMG]

3. syko5150

syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    you should know this already since you live in the US theres no law against being racist yes its morally wrong but people have a right to not like someone i dont agree with them but just because they call someone something doesnt mean anything can be done to them about it thats called freedom of speech.Racism will never go away so its best to ignore it...thinking racism will go away is the same as thinking peace is an option it just wont ever happen.people in the world whether they admit it or not enjoy violence and controversy its entertaining yes its sad when people are at risk of losing their homes and losing friends/family members but the reality is other people around the world sit back and enjoy talking about that stuff even if they say they dont like it so the reality is just because people don't like something doesnt mean it will ever go away people need stupid things like racism and war for the sake of argument without those things what will people do?

4. clegion

clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    and yeah, people go around complaining bout hot coffee

5. Private|Par

Private|Par GBAtemp Advanced Fan

If you were to use the word "gay" to mean something dumb in anywhere intellectually above say, a high school, you would be looked at as an insensitive, idiotic asshole. You certainly would not be travelling somewhere safely, as I'm sure many people would be seeking to "question" you about such usage. The word "gay" does not mean stupid. We already have a word for stupid. That word is "stupid."

On the racist argument, no. Scribblenauts is not racist. If perhaps you typed in Fried Chicken, or Pokemon, and the appropriate stereotype acted in the stereotypical way, then perhaps it would be a different story. Sambo may have been racist in the past; but I think it is preposterous to say that when it had been used for other things, such as watermelons.

6. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

But some people seem to think "freedom of speech" means "I have the right to call someone a nigger, but you don't have the right to call me a racist for it otherwise you're oppressing me and attacking my freedom of speech."

If you want freedom of speech, you have to accept that people have the freedom of speech to call you up on what you say.

As far as I'm aware no-one's brought criminal charges against the makers of scribblenauts, no-one's called for it to be banned, a few people have just raised an eyebrow and written a few tounge-in-cheek blog posts about it. But even if someone was genuinely going on a crusade against it and thought it was racist, they have the right to that opinion and the right to air it. Hell, if Jack Thompson can go on a crusade to get GTA banned, they have a right to launch a similar campaign against Scribblenauts,not that they'd get very far. But I've yet to see that these frothing individuals who want to burn copies of the game exist anywhere but in the minds of some people in this thread who have a bit of a persecution complex.

7. Mr Slayer

Mr Slayer Newbie
    Newcomer

New Zealand
    you can type in Maori and you get a sterotypical pacific islander

8. clegion

clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    so?, what should it do according to you?, summon the island or bionicles?

9. King Zargo

King Zargo I'm a Star

Nepal
    I don't think its in a company's best interest to insult their user-base.

Its probably an accident.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - scribblenauts, racist,