PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
Ugh. Looks like Destructoid can hang up their "good site" hat.

It was just a crap article from Kotaku in the first place. Just some sensationalist "we're hard-hitting journalists, we swear" plea; there is no "controversy" here. Amazingly, it looks like Destructoid took the poor article idea, and made it worse.

edit: almost forgot the hilarious parts:

QUOTE said:
"Slaczka then pulled the classic, "we're not racist, look at all our not-racist stuff" card, detailing a number of black characters in the game"

"anybody with a shred of social intuition should have seen this mini-controversy coming a mile away, no matter how silly it is. "

Oh Really?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahaha. Obviously they didn't do it on purpose, but personally, I think it is hilarious.

PS Im not racist
mthrnitesmiley.gif

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Wow, the journalist is a complete idiot. Should 5th Cell have removed every single word that could be taken as a racist slur even though it is a legitimate item?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Scribblenauts is not racist, the game's word finder happens to be black himself.

Look, Scribblenauts has been the centre of HYPE in gaming journalism lately, and places like Joystiq and Kotaku will take any opportunity they can to write about Scribblenauts, from nonsense like the Sambo gourd to writing reviews or parroting what WB predicts out of the games sales.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
President is a white guy! Political disrespect to all world leaders.

Rockstar is white! Disrespect to so many contributing musicians especailly the blacks who make excellent Jazz and Blues music.

Bodyguard is bald! No respect for such a noble occupation! SO ANGERING!!
mad.gif

Saying anything is discriminating? Might as well add another 30% of the word database in.

taken

Trophies
XP
Country
I heard of the word sambo. But it was in a comedy in 1972 Love Thy Neighbor. But there again the coloured guy was calling a white guy honky.
When a coloured family move next door to a white family.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Never heard the term used for either connotation, but I believe they did intend for it to be a gourd, seeing as there are countless obscure words in the game and they just love reusing sprites.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol, I wonder what's wrong with people, saying that everything is racist. It's just like that time with Animal Crossing Wild World. Some sheep says the N word and people made a huge fuss out of it. I mean come on, so can I say that chocolate is racist, or vanilla is racist?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm in all my efforts to be an all round offensive bastard I have never come across this word as anything other than a Russian martial art.

Anyhow in such cases "look at the intent of the person doing the deed" and I must admit I laugh more at the knee jerk reactionaries than I do at the those who believe pigment means something.

Noke0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sambo was a brand of watermelons in the 30's, it is a fighting style, it is also a fig leaf gourd from Ecuador. Sambo will never be considered a racist word. Now I am not calling any of you ignorant, but there are so many different levels of stupidity. It is too hard to talk to people anymore (The journalist). Stuff like this just get's me pissed.

Islay

Trophies
XP
Country
ROFL, thats a retated word to count as rasist, it's slang for a sandwich :/, if i'm not mistaken, but that not important, someone had to know it could cause offence, so that statments is a blant lie.

Also can some one explain why it rasist ?

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow. This thread really brings the KKK members out of the woodwork. Newsflash: "Sambo" IS a racial slur. Even if it has other definitions, saying otherwise is rewriting history. Watermelons were fed to black slaves because they kept slaves hydrated, watermelons were branded "n*ggerapples." Yeah, linking those two isn't racist at all. This might have been a mistake, but SOMEONE should have caught it, don't give me this ignorance bologna. Ignorance doesn't maintain racial harmony, so why are you guys so interested in turning a blind eye? Go put on your hoods. Or better yet, get a history book.

wikipedia on "sambo"

Watermelons: a slave food

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1