OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Got my SCL from kicktrading on Friday (yay, only took three days!), and had some questions and impressions. I'm sure you've all read the reviews, so I'll refrain from reiterating common knowledge. That said, I noticed some surprising things...

Impressions:
1) It's not _quite_ flush. This may be a manufacturing issue with mine, but while the top of the SCL is flush, the bottom juts out a small amount (small=miniscule). I don't really mind though, it's all but unnoticeable. What it comes down to is that the DSL GBA cover is more rounded than the SCL (the part that constitues the "handle").
2) When I heard that there may be some issue with the TF card falling out due to it being front load (as opposed to side load), I thought I'd just put some tape on it or something. I'm glad to say that I have no qualms not bothering with the tape. I find it hard to believe that it would EVER fall out without some vicious pounding (or if you dropped the whole unit on a hard floor or something).
3) This thing is TIGHT. For my unit, rocking it right to left does NOT work. You just have to pull on it HARD. This may only be an issue if I buy the DS browser (which I may not, as I want to take it on vacation, but I'm leaving pretty soon). Initially, I wasn't too concerned with it, but after trying to take it out, I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up some sandpaper...
4) Superkey from Kicktrading has a splashscreen (thought they thought it did not). *shrug* I don't like it, but it's not worth complaining about.

Just a quick question so far....
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! - love this quirky game, but everytime it's about to start the music, there's a long pause. Feels like 10-15 seconds? Is this normal? Annoying when I have to retry it after failing a level due to laughing. I'm patching all my games with IGR only (nothing else) btw.

Sweet product, and great service by Kicktrading.
J

ps. BTW, there's a new version of DSOrganize (2.2 Final - Blue) which works better than the SCL patched version that's floating around. Only problem is that it currently doesn't save.

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Patch all you're games with 'restart' 'trim' 'fastergameplay' all on leave 'ique' and 'gba linkage' off (unless trying to run an ique rom or actually trying gba linkage function). The 'enable patch cartidge access' option only needs to be on for new roms un-supported by the client which need it (test by experiment), FF3 and the Rune roms need it on, but when the client updates you probably won't need it on anymore for those 2 roms.

Tthe 'fastergameplay' option you turned off is probably the reason you're game pauses for so long.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my SCL from kicktrading on Friday (yay, only took three days!), and had some questions and impressions. I'm sure you've all read the reviews, so I'll refrain from reiterating common knowledge. That said, I noticed some surprising things...

Impressions:
1) It's not _quite_ flush. This may be a manufacturing issue with mine, but while the top of the SCL is flush, the bottom juts out a small amount (small=miniscule). I don't really mind though, it's all but unnoticeable. What it comes down to is that the DSL GBA cover is more rounded than the SCL (the part that constitues the "handle").
2) When I heard that there may be some issue with the TF card falling out due to it being front load (as opposed to side load), I thought I'd just put some tape on it or something. I'm glad to say that I have no qualms not bothering with the tape. I find it hard to believe that it would EVER fall out without some vicious pounding (or if you dropped the whole unit on a hard floor or something).
3) This thing is TIGHT. For my unit, rocking it right to left does NOT work. You just have to pull on it HARD. This may only be an issue if I buy the DS browser (which I may not, as I want to take it on vacation, but I'm leaving pretty soon). Initially, I wasn't too concerned with it, but after trying to take it out, I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up some sandpaper...
4) Superkey from Kicktrading has a splashscreen (thought they thought it did not). *shrug* I don't like it, but it's not worth complaining about.

Just a quick question so far....
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! - love this quirky game, but everytime it's about to start the music, there's a long pause. Feels like 10-15 seconds? Is this normal? Annoying when I have to retry it after failing a level due to laughing. I'm patching all my games with IGR only (nothing else) btw.

Sweet product, and great service by Kicktrading.
J

ps. BTW, there's a new version of DSOrganize (2.2 Final - Blue) which works better than the SCL patched version that's floating around. Only problem is that it currently doesn't save.

1. It is flush, just check my review: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=35982
lecture.gif

2. Your right its in there tight!
smile.gif

3. It is hard as hell to get out but goes in ok.
hate2.gif

4.SuperKey has a a splash screen for quite a while now although you can still find batches of the old model marked as," Old Version" usually.

Your not using "Faster Play Game"? That option is a must have with the SC Lite and what type of memory are you using?

I hope you are enjoying your SC Lite!
grog.gif

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

jigaboo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I appreciate your review, FifthE1ment, but I have one too. Mine is not completely flush. The bevel on the handle on the DSL slug is more pronounced than the SCL - hence the stick out. As I mentioned before, it does not detract from the product in the least.

Well, the reason I mentioned the Superkey having no splash is because I asked before I ordered, and Kick mentioned that it didn't have one. So, just a note to those ordering it from Kicktrading.

Hmm. Reason I didn't use the "Faster Game Play", was I thought the game would be speeded up or something! I'll try this out when I have the chance. Oddly enough, this is only "slowdown" (more like load-time) I've encountered in about 15-16 games I've tried...! I'm currently using a Kingmax 512mb TF card (supposedly up to 12.5MB/s). It was the cheapest I could find.
BTW, I've heard varying reports of instability using "Trim Rom". I figured it was pointless, as I do have 512MB to play with, and hence didn't use it. What are your success rates like? Does anyone have replicable failures with the "Trim Rom" option?

And yes, I'm certainly enjoying it. Cheers!
J

jigaboo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Here's what I mean:

Close up of the "lip" of the SCL:
T0_-1_1551794.jpg

Close up of the 'lip" of the DSL "slug" or cover. Notice, the bevel closely follows the contour of the DSL.
T0_-1_1551797.jpg

Finally, a comparison of both. It's obvious that the SCL "handle" or "lip" could be thinner and more bevelled to more closely mimic the DSL slug. As I said before though, it's really not a big deal...
T0_-1_1551799.jpg

J

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
use trim rom for every game... I'll be shocked if you find a rom that has trouble with it on as I have had SC's for over 6 months and have yet to find one

gokong

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It is not completely flush.. its not a big deal and is a non issue really.. but the truth of the matter is it is not flush.. so ppl saying it is flush plz stop.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine sits out no where near as far as your lip. I will have to take a pic tomorrow to show but I think you need to push yours in just a tad more.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

jigaboo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Kingofnoobs, look at the pictures - it ain't flush and your denials won't change it. FLUSH = DS slug. And I already said it twice - I don't find it a problem.

Fifte1ment, this mother aint budging a nanometer. Not with my hands, not with a hammer. Don't really care either way - probably just a batch that's got slightly poorer tolerances.

J

KINGOFNOOBS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jigaboo, if you sand it a tiny bit. Then its completely flush. And besides its just random. I have anothin SCL thats completely flush without sanding. Errors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool