SCDS2 iPlayer Movie Plug-in

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Nov 9, 2010.

Nov 9, 2010
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG] SCDS2 iPlayer Movie Plug-in
    11/11/10 Expected Release
    [​IMG]

Team SuperCard has provided some more info on the upcoming Movie Plug-in, now officially named the iPlayer. The software is expected to be released on 11/11/10 and will feature some core updates, bug fixes, and more. Users will be happy to hear that external subtitle files are now supported (sadly only .SRT). GBATemp has received a change log for the recent BETA as well as the BETA itself. Although there will not be a second round of testing, I would be happy to answer any specific questions which directly relate to this update.

[​IMG] GBATemp Hands-on Preview

2. Black_Knight_666

Member Black_Knight_666 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    What file formats are supported? Will there need to be a specific resolution for the videos?

3. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    I just can't wait for the release

What with 'iReader' for the viewing Text/Pictures, & now the 'iPlayer' for Video/Music - All I need now is a selection of PDA type plugins (e.g TXT editor/File Editor/Calendar/Calculator/Planner etc) & I guess I won't really need Moonshell2 anymore
    & before anyone says - use 'DSOrganise' - I already do, but it would be nice to go STRAIGHT to some of the features that it has from the plugin menu (I've never use the Browser/IRC or HB database & wish I could get rid of those)

@ Black_Knight_666: apparently it can support the following
    • Video?Avi,Rm/Rmvb,Mpeg,3gp,Flv,Mov,Wmv
      Audio?mp3,wma,ape,flav,wav,aac,ogg,ra,m4a
    It seems it can handle any resolution BUT the larger it is the more likely it will suffer from picture corruption & stutters

SOURCE:
    http://www.yopool.com/news/24/DSTwo-Player...ing-Report.html
    http://www.yopool.com/news/23/SCDStwo-medi...er-testing.html

4. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    But... I might need Halp!

[​IMG]

Wait... I thought it also supported .mkv...

5. Nobunaga

Member Nobunaga Empty

Greece
    2 days left [​IMG]
    Can't wait.

6. aiRWaLKRe

Member aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Awwwww I think HALP would of been neat [​IMG]

It sounds like when a noob asks for help

BTW can't wait will be nice to finally have the stated plug-ins. Then the team can get to working on bug fixes for all the plug-ins

7. Ranma

Member Ranma GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Yeah really. Do you think they could be convinced to change it back to HALP?

Seriously, who would want that "fixed?" [​IMG]

8. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    If any of the fine freaks working here at GBAtemp could pass it on to SC team; SRT is nice, but most subbed video files are Soft-subbed, so softsub MKV support would be nicer [​IMG]

As far as HALP, yes, it's funny, but it's unprofessional, SC team still needs to look good and sell cards.

9. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    maybe i'm showing my age here, but any subs which are external files (.sub, .ass, .srt) used to be called "soft-subs" as opposed to hard-subs which are encoded with the video. does mkv contain the vid and subs but the subs aren't hard-coded and can be extracted as a file? the mkv i tested with subs worked, but i don't know how the vid was encoded. sorry for my mkv ignorance, its not a scene standard and i rarely come across it as a format.

-another world

10. DoomRavager

Newcomer DoomRavager Member

Malaysia
    @Another World - Generally if people use the mkv container, the subtitles should be softsubs. You could check the details of the mkv using MediaInfo, it displays details of what tracks are included and how they were encoded.

11. Etalon

Member Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Morocco
  12. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    It's a little confusing.

Nowadays, pretty much anything with subtitles is encoded in .mkv. The subtitles are softsubs (sometimes MULTIPLE softsubs are available for multilingual material) embedded into the MKV (but still extractable) "DirectVobSub" is probably the most used handler of such subs.

Dual audio works the same way, each .mkv (and even some breeds of .avi) can hold multiple audio tracks, DirectVobSub handles them as well.

The real benefit of encoding this way is that there is only one file to manage instead of multiple files. Plus, it's just a standard.

Most common in anime.

13. amiga

Newcomer amiga Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Finally, they officially recognize what everybody knew, the supercard team made the iplayer.

And this seems that the iplayer is practically dead, sad for me, I bought it because I thought coming from sc team it was gonna have great support, how wrong I was.

At least they could launch a firmware update that makes the iplayer compatible with scds2 (not with ds roms, Im only interested on homebrew, emus) and then forget about iplayer if they want.

14. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

.mkv is Scene standard for several years now, e.g. http://pastebin.com/x1rivxS5 [​IMG] - even though I doubt SCDS2 supports HD playback. [​IMG] There are lot's and lot's of Torrent trackers that serve non-scene SD x264 encodes in .mkv containers, though.

Usually ASS/SSA is being used in .mkv, several tools can convert that to .srt.

15. xaeroak15

Newcomer xaeroak15 Member

United States
    The flv can be some containers and holds various a/v code, looking forwarding the compatibility.

16. mechagouki

Member mechagouki Kill 'em all...

Canada
    Hope they know iPlayer is a trademark of the Philips corporation.

17. Stevetry

Banned Stevetry Most perverted person in GBATEMP

Puerto Rico
    this is the end for DPG videos for SCD2 users looks like i will have to add avi videos in my DPG site XD

18. haddad

Member haddad GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Yes! Cant wait to test it out

19. Escape

Member Escape GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you're talking about the video I sent you, then the subs were hard coded.

Anyway, having only .srt support is not a big deal.
    It's very easy (and quick) to convert subs files - all you gotta do is download
    Subtitle Workshop (which is 100% free), load your subs file, and then save as SubRip (.srt).
    Shouldn't take more than 20 seconds...

For extracting subs from an MKV, I suggest using MKVextractGUI (search for "MKVtoolnix"),
    and just as I wrote on the SC forum, If there's a dual audio MKV file, the SC2 video plug-in will (most likely) play only the default audio file, so if you want it to play the other audio file, you gotta extract the video, your chosen audio file and subs file (if there is one), and then merge the video file and the audio file with mkvmerge (which is also contained in the MKVtoolnix package - which is also 100% free, btw), and leave the subs file (if there is one) outside - so the SC2 will be able to read it, as I suppose it won't be able to read the subs if they were inside the container.

Thanks for the info btw [​IMG]

20. RalphUp

Member RalphUp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    HAHA Thats a Funny one! I think they would be MORE worried about the Nintendo / Third Party Developers RIGHTS than that of Philips!!! [​IMG]

PS BBC have an iPlayer too!!!