Homebrew Scaling Sprites?

DigitalDesignDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To clarify what you mean by scaling sprites, do you mean you're trying to resize or scale up or down the sprite's image during gameplay?

Or are you trying to scale sprites in order to fit DS within Game Makers sprite size limitations. For example, taking a 86x86 pixel sized sprite image and scaling it down to fit DS Game Maker's max sprite image size of 64x64 pixels.

Both are doable, but the later usually requires you to redraw/correct some of the sprite art manually since scaling down an image with a image editor like photoshop will not do the job perfectly as desired.

EpicCyanide

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 64x64 sprite within the game's files that I need the game to draw at 3x the size (dont really care about how blocky it will look) so that it can better fit the screen. It's supposed to be a fullscreen graphic, but it's animated so I can't make it a background.

DigitalDesignDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 64x64 sprite within the game's files that I need the game to draw at 3x the size (dont really care about how blocky it will look) so that it can better fit the screen. It's supposed to be a fullscreen graphic, but it's animated so I can't make it a background.

Thanks for clarifying what you are trying to do. :)

Ds Game Maker (DSGM) is only able to scale sprites 2x their original size so the max size you could get with the 64x64 sprite is 128x128 pixels.

Below is an example showing how to do that if you're still interested in that method.
DS Game Maker Sprite Zoom Example

Alternatively, you could still animate the backgrounds in a way by loading a new background after a small amount of time passes by using timer events or making a very large background that contains the individual frames of a large sprite and just move the background to display the proper frame every so many seconds.

Last edited by DigitalDesignDude,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉