Hacking Save Corruptions - How to avoid in the future?

skitariister

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I was playing Layton vs. Ace Attorney and I closed my 3DS to go out and run some errands.

I opened my 3DS and I only have a black screen. Pressing buttons didn't do anything. Thinking that the connection between card and 3DS was probably poor, I turn my 3DS off and reboot it.

I go back into the game and it...decides to reset my data. The game just deleted all my progress (I'm on Chapter 6...)

I've already been very careful since I lost my Dual Destinies save where I turned the 3DS off without closing to Home but this is starting to get on my nerves. The funny thing is that when I use someone else's save the game automatically tells me it's corrupt and resets me back to square one.

How do I avoid this in the future? How does it happen, exactly? Is it a case where the save file's progress doesn't match the last known state of the game? I'm pretty puzzled myself.

Thanks.

skitariister

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird. I switched from R4i to Gateway just now and I'm able to use the Dual Destinies save. I'm done with R4i now. Permanently.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can recover my Layton vs Ace Attorney save now.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You should always just do home and close if you planning to leave the 3ds in sleep mode, even with the gateway you will very occasionally get a black screen after the 3ds has been in sleep mode a while.......but it should just revert to your last save since you home and exited out, but I have only had it happen once or twice on gateway, the latest R4 FW has a bug(which one doesn't :P) but this time it's randomly deleting saves, so you probably got hit by that

ShocWave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, it has never happened to me, but I have some ideas as to how you can prevent save corruption.

Corruption can only happen if a file has been modified.
Gateway will write the save onto the big SD card (card1) for most games, and the microSD (card2) for games like Pokemon X/Y.
Now, gateway will not write the save file until you either: close the game or power down.

Flash cards are known to freeze if you leave the lid closed for too long. The time it takes to freeze is complete random and you will never know when it will happen.
I suspect that if you power down while the 3DS is frozen, Gateway will write a corrupt save to the SD card.

If the game ever freezes on you, you can try ejecting both SD cards before powering down to avoid corruption.
Now, like I said before... This is only my assumption, but I have a feeling that it will work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ok then no