Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

Rikua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there is an issue with combat loading in Shining Force III Scenario 1. Not sure what is causing it either. I also noticed that you cannot save in the church like you're supposed to be able to do. The game informs you that there isn't enough memory to create a new save. Could be related. Used the modified Cotton2 ini with Guardian Force as a base. Has anyone else encountered this and possibly knows how to fix it?

lingbergh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there any progress in getting sound effects working in Virtua Fighter 2? I tried different roms and revisions. BlockClock = "90" as suggested in some YouTube comments. Highest compatibility setting, but still no SFX. :cry:

Zomorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help?

Back in the day there was one Saturn game that myself and 6 amigos would play from dusk till dawn. No, not Bomberman. Deathtank. This game was hidden within Duke Nukem and there were 2 ways to access it - either by blowing up all the toilets in the game or by having saved game files for Quake and Exhumed. I opted for the latter.

I was hoping to access DT in the same way on switch by creating the relevant NSPs but sadly it doesn't appear in the Duke Nukem menu with Quake and Exhumed saved games. I guess this is because the switch saved games are configured in a different way to how it would be on the native Saturn. Anyway, I did manage to get a standalone version of DT to work on Yaba but because this is only playable on Android it's a pain. Plus when booting the switch in Android only 2 controllers can be paired, which is crappy considering the game is 7 player. So I tried creating a standalone NSP for DT but it doesn't seem to work. So unless anyone has any other ideas I guess I need to start destroying some toilets...

goldzwergXXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Managed to get over 10 games working, thank you all. :)

However for Virtua Fighter 2 there are no punching sounds hearable? Music yes but now sound fx. Any idea why? I used the recommended config from here.

goldzwergXXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
The thing with Nights Into Dreams is there's more than one US version iso you can find online, the only one that worked for me is the one called "NiGHTS into Dreams... (USA) (RE)", while this one did not boot "Nights Into Dreams... (USA) (DW0453)".
NIGHTS INTO DREAMS Europe worked for me.

Reactions: Zomorph

sgkaelgkrwera

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we compile all assets into one post? I keep making files i think will work but I don't know if my issue is a bad config or texture or wallpaper or what.

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we compile all assets into one post? I keep making files i think will work but I don't know if my issue is a bad config or texture or wallpaper or what.

Any optimal configs are linked in the compatibility spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X4iLL8J5sPMlxr_XbfZ-3f21IF9ni-otn2wwl-4hzsk/edit?usp=sharing

If you need icons, I'm still making them, I upload them here.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_rjVgGDuTv0KTlYIRzhtCo_LBCfJXp6i?usp=sharing

If you need the texture to hide the "Options" icon, custom controller layout screen, etc.
The ones on this comment should work with any base.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/saturn-...testing-and-debug.600756/page-60#post-9638200

Last edited by Levine91,

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to zoom/scale games? Shining The Holy Ark has borders on top and bottom that I would like to get rid of.

You can either use the widescreen hack or if you actually looked at the config ini file, you would see there is an option literally under [Screen] to do exactly what you're asking about.

hallo can i activate scanlines ?
thanks

Try it, see what happens, and report it here.
No need to ask about it. Just try it out.

Reactions: Zomorph

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A handful of games have gone from Unplayable to Playable/Partially Playable
Currently you will need to use the Full Compatibility config (see attached) along with the advised CPU Overclock.
The games likely can be optimized further if adjustments to the config are made, so please help us out by making and testing adjustments of your own. (Be sure to lower CPU OC as well after making config changes).

All Japan Pro Wrestling Featuring Virtua - 1683MHz
All Japan Pro Wrestling Featuring Virtua (Rev A)- 1683MHz
Casper (USA) - 1581MHz
Virtua Fighter Kids (USA) - 1785MHz (fps mildly lags)
Wachenroeder - No OC Needed

and of course, these have been updated in the compatibility spreadsheet.

Attachments

• Full Compatibility.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited by Levine91,

phreaksho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been watching this thread for awhile now and I'm curious, are you able to make full blown Saturn nsp files with this or is it an over the top layeredfs thing. Like custom icons and the likes, how easy would it be to get the bug! games working on the switch with savestates and whatnot?

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Got link?
Got it from here
Any optimal configs are linked in the compatibility spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X4iLL8J5sPMlxr_XbfZ-3f21IF9ni-otn2wwl-4hzsk/edit?usp=sharing

If you need icons, I'm still making them, I upload them here.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_rjVgGDuTv0KTlYIRzhtCo_LBCfJXp6i?usp=sharing

If you need the texture to hide the "Options" icon, custom controller layout screen, etc.
The ones on this comment should work with any base.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/saturn-...testing-and-debug.600756/page-60#post-9638200
If you take cover art requests id love to have NHL allstars 95 and Worldwide soccer 97 covers and christmas Nights also🙂

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can either use the widescreen hack or if you actually looked at the config ini file, you would see there is an option literally under [Screen] to do exactly what you're asking about.
You mean the Magnification="1.50" setting? I gave that a try by giving it "2.0" as value, but nothing changed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....