Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So with the megascript, I press 6 then 16 to get to the saturn inject menu, I press 2, the menu comes up, I select cotton2.nsp, then it just kicked me back to hte previous menu asking:
1. Show help
2.Inject

I have title.keys and prod.keys in the same folder as the megascript.bat

Halp plz

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do what i do, if the original cover was already a shit Design, find a better picture from wallpaper or from Japanese promo or concept art and use that as the new cover, dont try to remake the same boring cover unless it was already a great design

if its a game you really love, then find the art book or the Official website and create an original cover image with it

To each his own, I LOVE the Saturn cover.
I try to find the original cover illustrations if available (in high quality) or the closest high quality alternative to the cover.
Is this game as good as I want it to be from the cover?

Of course it is! I wouldn't personally create covers of games that aren't good! (Usually).

"Motteke Tamago with Ganbare! Kamonohashi"

A arena based multiplayer game in the same vein as Bomberman except the goal is to collect egg's and let them hatch in order to bring them back to the nest.

lingbergh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I can't get the USH Saturn script to work. It throws some warnings, that it failed to match some keys. But I guess this is not the problem here (166/166 in key validation). So it's creating the NSP image. The resulting NSP file is installable (no errors here). The icon and info I set in the USHS creating process are correct (no placeholder errors, icon loading loop, etc.). When I launch the game/program I have to choose a user account first. Is this correct? Some NSPs like SM64 jump right into the game, without selecting a user. The game/emu won't load and keeps saying a software error has occurred (black screen). No error codes here.

When I extract the created NSP again the files seem to be in place. Is there something in AMS/hekate that needs to be enabled like nosigchk, old acid patches?

EddieRiggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
press any Button to skip the logo screen (this was the Player Guide showing you the controls
if you use the Script to inject, you will skip all intros and go straight to saturn logo
Sorry to bother you, is there's some kind of trick to make a png file right? I'm creating one (same color settings, size & resolution settings as yours), then I add one line of header in hex editor. But the game keeps crashing on startup. I've tried both Photoshop and GIMP, but still no luck...

temp.JPG

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So with the megascript, I press 6 then 16 to get to the saturn inject menu, I press 2, the menu comes up, I select cotton2.nsp, then it just kicked me back to hte previous menu asking:
1. Show help
2.Inject

I have title.keys and prod.keys in the same folder as the megascript.bat

Halp plz
For you and those who want to test the script, I will not help anymore if you don't attach the full log report file when you encounter a problem.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I managed to build an NSP with the script. New icon is there and it loads, however to errors come up, then some sort of frame with a menu that I can navigate. But the middle stays black. It seems the ISO isn't loading. I used Guardian Force.

Just to clarify, in the step of the script, where it asks for the cue/bin, I choose the folder containing those files, ricght? What name are the cue/bin expected to have?

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to bother you, is there's some kind of trick to make a png file right? I'm creating one (same color settings, size & resolution settings as yours), then I add one line of header in hex editor. But the game keeps crashing on startup. I've tried both Photoshop and GIMP, but still no luck...

View attachment 280369
send me a PM with the image you tried to edit

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For you and those who want to test the script, I will not help anymore if you don't attach the full log report file when you encounter a problem.
Sorry about that, here's the log, I didn't even realize a log was generated. Sorry for the inconveneince.
Many thanks

Attachments

• Thorhax-Saturn-Inject-Script-error.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 110

EddieRiggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
send me a PM with the image you tried to edit
Well, since I'm newbie it appears I cannot send you image or link to it via PM.
So, I'll attach it here. It's nothing personal, just japanese style saturn logo for splash screen =)
I'm not sure which editor was used for this particular pic, cos I've been trying a lot (to reduce size as well), but all of them are crashing the game the same way. Thanks!

Attachments

• saturnlogo.png
    saturnlogo.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 64

Zephir1991

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The script is working - even if it throws errors at you like "failed to match key". Just ignore them. I've created 10 games so far using the script (all the same game) and installed them with Tinfoil. Tinfoil gave me an error every time I installed a game - and most of them didn't even work (blank icon loading thingy) but one game finally worked flawless.
No clue why - I've created every game the same way with Guardian as a base.

So if you get the script errors while creating your new NSp game, just try it out and check if it's working.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If people want to get rid of the "failed to match key" warning messages, then edit the copy of prod.keys that you're using with the script (keep an unmodified copy elsewhere for safekeeping) and remove each line that has a key name from the warning messages.

Zephir1991

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
your custom image is not working, use a different image, or open/edit/save it as a different type png/jpg, and/or resize it to something like 256x256
The Icon works correctly. The icon loading thingy is something that happens after installing the nsp. And well, it works if tinfoil installs those nsp games correctly.
Also Tinfoil throws errors like "failed to create placeholder" no clue why.

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry about that, here's the log, I didn't even realize a log was generated. Sorry for the inconveneince.
Many thanks
Your problem is the path where you have installed the script, it is a long path but the real problem is that it contain spaces. I've fixed this, your language problem will not be after an update and the problem of return to menu of injection also, even with spaces in your script's path. If you use an other function of the script and have some problems it could be the spaces in the installation path, I'm not sure that this bug isn't somewhere else in the script. With the new debug function I want to review all of the code, I will pay attention to this problem also to fix it everywhere (I'll also fix the parentheses problems in path witch is a frequent possible bug, not present anymore in the Saturn injection).

Reactions: Thorhax

lisreal2401

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just discovered that it recognizes FDD saves from the PC emulator.
Recreate the Backup/FloppyDisk/Partition0/1 folders in romfs and add your bins.

Though you can read the saves, you can't write to FDD unfortunately.
2021101808524900-F6B98A8E3D88E9176AA9241DCAD1B777.png
I was toying with this about a week ago - it never occurred to me to use SSF to create the save image, though using the Floppy Disk... disc software you can move saves back and forth if you use the same .ini file per game

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, since I'm newbie it appears I cannot send you image or link to it via PM.
So, I'll attach it here. It's nothing personal, just japanese style saturn logo for splash screen =)
I'm not sure which editor was used for this particular pic, cos I've been trying a lot (to reduce size as well), but all of them are crashing the game the same way. Thanks!
i was remaking it in 1080p, ill make you 2 versions of it

Last edited by ZER-O,

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I was toying with this about a week ago - it never occurred to me to use SSF to create the save image, though using the Floppy Disk... disc software you can move saves back and forth if you use the same .ini file per game
my ini doesn't save in the savedata, I have a workaround for it. But it's not ideal, as it breaks savestate.
I also use the same save file for all my games, as i've moved to using SimpleModManager to switch games.

But yes, you need to create the saves in the PC emulator, switch emu crashes when it tries to write to FDD.

Reactions: matt!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...