Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

Shaneus

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Tempest 2000: Boots, but menus operate very slowly even with full OC. Once the game itself loads it's like the screen doesn't clear , so it's all blurry and you can't make out anything. Default settings used for .ini.

I would try to change options in the .ini but I need to clear the save file first and I'm not sure where that's located on the SD card/what it's name is.

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Tempest 2000: Boots, but menus operate very slowly even with full OC. Once the game itself loads it's like the screen doesn't clear , so it's all blurry and you can't make out anything. Default settings used for .ini.

I would try to change options in the .ini but I need to clear the save file first and I'm not sure where that's located on the SD card/what it's name is.
Cotton2_Switch.ini, root of the roomfs folder.

Shaneus

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Cotton2_Switch.ini, root of the roomfs folder.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I know where the ini file goes and the naming, but apparently have to delete a save file otherwise the ini won't be read. I don't know where that save file is :)

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
where is the discord channel dedicated to discuss this topic?
nobody joined it yet, i suggested that we share everything in public here and only resort to Discord if we need to share files

so far we are still figuring out how to compile the NSP and add optimized Game Settings, then we need to share a master pre compiled NSP
i will focus on making original assets to anything that we can edit inside the NSP or making custom Game covers

if someone wants to compile The NSP with the assets i create you are free to do so
i am only interested in a clean NSP that has no info about Success or the original games, if we reach that milestone and are able to compile the NSP with injected ISO, i will dedicate sometime to make special assets for all the games that worked

Last edited by ZER-O,

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nobody joined it yet, i suggested that we share everything in public here and only resort to Discord if we need to share files

so far we are still figuring out how to compile the NSP and add optimized Game Settings, then we need to share a master pre compiled NSP
i will focus on making original assets to anything that we can edit inside the NSP or making custom Game covers

if someone wants to compile The NSP with the assets i create you are free to do so
i am only interested in a clean NSP that has no info about Success or the original games, if we reach that milestone and are able to compile the NSP with injected ISO, i will dedicate sometime to make special assets for all the games that worked

I'll be more than happy to join the discord, I would have done so the other day, I just have no idea where it is.
You never posted an invite link and your profile is private.

Shaneus

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
---!!! IMPORTANT !!!---
Make sure to delete your save file after making any changes to the .ini config, otherwise the changes will not take effect!!
To echo a post I made earlier (but with some more detail), can anyone tell me where to find the save file mentioned above?

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Have the same issue with the script. Even dumped the NSPs out of the XCI with the same result, so it likely isnt my keys. Was able to get things working without the script using the same files, so something seems off.

I may need to manually step through all the tools and see what is happening...
Try to use the script in debug mode (not full debug) and attach the log file.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any idea why following the instructions on first page would still launch cotton2 and not the replaced rom?

Almost as if the installed cotton2 game is still looking to its original files wherever those are stored, rather than layeredFS ones in atmosphere/contents/...006/romfs where the rom swap was made creating that folder and using the folder name in one of the first pages and then dropping in files

Yes, renamed it new rom’s cue to Cotton2.cue and kept new Rom’s bin filename
As is

Came after a slew of updating firmware from 12.0 to 13.0.

Trying to get to the bottom line for a friends cfw switch but not really that versed in the scene

Admittedly much more familiar with ODE’s on original hw
But

Edit: gonna defer to him figuring this one out on his own / refer him to this thread and encourage him to post here. I’m better with other older handhelds hah this just ain’t my area of understanding

Last edited by playstays_shun,

Zephir1991

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Any idea why following the instructions on first page would still launch cotton2 and not the replaced rom?

Almost as if the installed cotton2 game is still looking to its original files wherever those are stored, rather than layeredFS ones in atmosphere/contents/...006/romfs where the rom swap was made.

Yes, renamed it new rom’s cue to Cotton2.cue and kept new Rom’s bin filename
As is

Came after a slew of updating atmos/hekaku/firmware from 12.0 to 13.0 and sigpatches. Emunand side too

Trying to get to the bottom line for a friends cfw switch but not really that versed in the scene

Admittedly more familiar with ODE’s on original hw
But

I've followed those steps https://gbatemp.net/threads/saturn-...n-force-testing-and-debug.600756/post-9624726

And it works flawless so far.

dj5927

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
SSF의 'EZ 설정'을 기반으로 몇 가지 표준 구성을 구성했습니다.

특정 타이틀에 대한 실험 구성을 업로드하여 테스트하고, 시도하고, 실험하고, 결과를 공유할 계획입니다.

https://github.com/xYuunaX/SegaSaturnTribute

I did a few tests with this.

full
highest
Both options are too expensive.
Games that used to run at the default clock on the Switch also require overclocking.

I didn't get the feeling that the gameplay was particularly improved.

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I did a few tests with this.

full
highest
Both options are too expensive.
Games that used to run at the default clock on the Switch also require overclocking.

I didn't get the feeling that the gameplay was particularly improved.
Please note these are experimental configs, performance may vary depending on the title.

EZ settings full and highest is supposed to be highest compatibility, but slowest performance.

example: Full Compatibility (Very Slow)

You will need to experiment.

137221201-849009fc-6fdf-479d-89fc-45dd62dc272f.png

chobochobo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I've followed those steps

And it works flawless so far.
Hmm. The folder name isn't correct for the Collection right? I tried it anyway, but it doesn't work for me - selecting Cotton2 in the front menu gives me Cotton 2. When I use the folder name as per Purple_Shyguy, I get a Error Code: 2002-0001, twice, and then a black screen.

What am I missing please? I'm taking the microSD out and putting in my laptop. Then I make the folder, transfer the BIN and CUE, rename the cue. Then I reboot the Switch and delete the save file, and then start the game. Black screen each time. It'd make my day to be able to play Baku Baku Animal on the go! Please help LOL

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
i made a template and remade the entire Design from scratch, i can drop an image in Photoshop an shuffle all the style i created
ill share a sample of what i am doing in HD first
and i made an intro logo to replace Success/zebra engine by going directly to PlayerGuide Controller screen and replace it with the new image
ill share the .Tex file later or just rename the pictures and add the header before %PNG and rename to .Tex
View attachment 279469View attachment 279470View attachment 279471
Any change to get the .tex file? These images looks great! The Saturn logo is awasome 🙂

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I may take a shower to remove all the sunburns in my body