safesysupdater vs sysupdater? share your brick story!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by reiyu, Jan 26, 2016.

?

which do you think is better?

1. SysUpdater

60.7%
  2. SafeSysUpdater

39.3%
  1. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    i've been using the regular sysupdater to downgrade both o3DS and n3DS, for me and my friends and it seemed to work fine, so far did 9 units and no bricks, not even semi-bricks.

i've been also reading that there's safesysupdater, but people have also reported that it freezes halfway. as much as i want to use it, i'd rather be careful first.

would anyone be able to share their opinion about their brick story? and what do you think could have possibly gone wrong?

cheers.

--EDIT--
    today, 2 of my buddies having JP n3DS use the same set of files and instructions, and safesysupdater froze midway on one of them. i certainly do not recommend using safesysupdater at this point. use julian's sysupdater with libkhax instead.

Last edited by reiyu, Jan 29, 2016
    popokakapetu likes this.

2. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I had SafeSysUpdater freeze halfway. I would wind up with a half firmware. It seemed like 9.2, but system settings or internet browser would freeze. These same files would either give me a title exception or freeze halfway through install on sysupdater from tuxsh or julian. I finally managed to get Ninjhax 2 setting it to 9.2.0-24U to boot and finished the install with safesysupdater.

3. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Safesysupdater has the exact same code as sysupdater (Tux's build, not Julian's), the only difference is that Safesysupdater checks that you have the right files o3DS vs N3DS, from the right region (USA, EUR, JPN) and checks that they aren't corrupted.

So is a bit silly to compare them when it is the exact same thing and the file checker is the only difference.

Last edited by Tony_93, Jan 26, 2016
  4. Arubaro

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    I downgraded my o3ds 10.3 with sysupdater julian's version.
    First try without a problem

5. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    but as far as what i've seen, there were issues where safesysupdater freezes halfway. never heard that with people using sysupdater though.

popokakapetu likes this.
  6. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    I saw lots of people getting softbricks and halfway downgrafe freeze witht the regular sysupdater beforw Safesysupdater was even a thing.

I made a poll a while ago, 15 people reported success and 0 reported a brick.

Is just luck wether the app bugs or not.

7. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I haven't had any issues with either. A friend and I downgraded three o3DSs all together. Mine was done with SysUpdater and the other two with SafeSysUpdater. They all worked on the first try.

8. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    fair enough. would you recommend switching to safesysupdater though?

9. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    In my case, It kept freezing at a specific file.

10. dradonhunter11

dradonhunter11 French o-MEGA modder

Oct 27, 2015
    Canada
    The Distorded and chaotic land
    I downgraded 2 3ds with julian version (both first try), a friend try with safeSysUpdater and it alway do a pink dot

11. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Safesysupdater is just more noob friendly (avoiding bricks fue to wrong/corrupted files), but since you already downgraded 9 units we know this is not the case.

If you have the right files and you know they aren't corrupted (which you know) I don't see any benefits switching over,

The only risk I see is a file corrupting when going from PC > SD but that is highly unlikely.

12. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    any benefits in boot/run rate though? sysupdater took me like 4-5 times to run properly with menuhax to properly downgrade.

13. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    I downgraded 2 systems and man I envy you so much.

I was unable to downgrade at all with sysupdater, it just black screened in about 10 - 15 tries.

I was able to downgrade them with Safesysupdater but it took so many tries that I lost count, 20 - 25? I don't know... Second system took only 4 tries, Some people reported success at first/second try on both of them... Some people took 50...

Boot rate should be about the same, I guess you just got lucky perhaps.

14. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    what entrypoint did you use? i just used menuhax and renamed the sysupdater.3dsx to boot so it auto boots. my first ever downgrade with a 10.3.0-28J o3DS was with browserhax, and that took me 10 tries and sysupdater froze at "rebooting", but the downgrade was fully successful. after that, i went the lazy route and did autoboot with menuhax and surprisingly it did make my boot/run rate go up, also it auto rebooted after the downgrade.

15. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    I vote sysupdater, because it always worked for me for 16 different 3DS! If you just use the right files, and the right method (Menuhax),then it will work. Sure the app may crash before you get into it or gets an error about not being able to find cia info, if you keep retrying and it will work in about 5 tries or less. I've never softbricked or hardbricked a 3DS from downgrading, nor have I frankenfirmware'd one. They were all able to create emunand, and install cia's just fine.

The version I use is unknown, possibly comes from Julian.

First there was sysupdater that could brick, then there was sysupdater by julian that prevents hardbricking, then there was safesysupdater which I think is a fork of Julian's.

Overall I just stay away from safesysupdater and just use the sysupdater that works for me. I'm really confident in it's success.

12 N3DS, and 4 o3DS. Even EUR region.

popokakapetu likes this.
  16. andre104623

andre104623 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 9, 2014
    United States
    Philadelphia, PA
    I cant cast a vote because there should be a neither option. I had the first sysupdater downgrade my jap n3ds perfectly but my US n3ds xl zelda edition that came with 9.9u no go. Both versions failed to downgrade my US n3ds always ended up with a incomplete firmware. I tried everything to get it to work just never did sooo I'm waiting for gateways 10.3 update hopefully it will work or else sky3ds+ its going to be.

17. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I used SysUpdater way back when it was stupid and unstable. It didn't work with CFW's when I first used it, then used it again when it was fixed.

18. Robmead23

Robmead23 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    Robmead23 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2015
    I downgraded 2 o3ds with normal sys updater no brick and now running rxtools

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  19. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    wow, i just had 2 buddies downgrade japanese 3DSes, and one of them softbricked with safesysupdater. it froze halfway just as what i feared in my first post. definitely wont recommend anyone to use safesysupdater, the name is so ironic.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  20. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    Exact same experience!

Ricken likes this.