Safely transfer from Wii to Wii U guide?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by 8BitWalugi, Nov 30, 2012.

Nov 30, 2012
  1. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Is there a guide for transferring from hacked Wii to Wii U, while retaining all saves?
    VC doesn't bother me, I keep it all on SD card menu and can simply install their WADs. Retention of saves is what I'm fearful about, mainly in instances of two saves for the same game, but different region.

I thought about just backing up all save files (Extracting each save with SaveGameManagerGX individually, deleting saves I don't want transferred, and proceeding with the transfer process), but that doesn't seem like a great idea.

Thoughts?

2. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    Well, I am performing the transfer now, just used BootMii to backup my Wii's NAND. Backup just completed, now going to just try the transfer tool process without removing anything to see what happens.

AFAIK it will just transfer the legitimate content and ignore all the rest.
    As for the different region saves, I doubt it would care about that, and it will just see it as a save, just like any other. I have a few import games' saves so I will see what happens.
    I will post here after the transfer with my results.

EDIT: Results!

What got transferred:
    - WiiShop account data
    - All Miis
    - All disc game save files, regardless of region, including saves belonging to custom/fakesigned discs EDIT2: Transfer tool said saves for my hacked Mario Kart Wii versions were transferred, but checking again, and they are nowhere to be seen... probably best to backup saves belonging to hacked/modified discs, just to be sure.
    (Also copies over things like Bathaxx and Indiana Pwns just fine too, found out by accident since I forgot I still had them :lol: )
    - Legitimately purchased/dl'ed-from-WiiShop channels that happen to be on the Wii System Memory at the time
    (Ones not on Wii System Menmry, like on SD Card, can just be redownloaded via Wii Shop Channel since account data was transferred)
    - Saves from said legitimately purchased VC and Wiiware channels
    - Apparently Wifi or internet data or something, but no way to access Wii Settings to check though

What did not get transferred (stays behind on the Wii):
    - Custom/fakesigned channels (All pirated wads are fakesigned, so none of them, also no homebrew channels of course)
    - Saves belonging to said illegitimate channels
    - Preinstalled channels, like 25th Anniversary SMB for example
    - Saves belonging to said preinstalled channels

One thing I do not know about however, was DLC. I did not have any DLC to actually transfer, so I could not tell you what it would do there.

And of course, anything that gets transferred, gets erased from the Wii, and overwrites any already existing copies of the same things on the Wii U's vWii (like saves already on there for example). Also, any stuff that does not get transfered is left behind on the Wii untouched, it does not get destroyed.

Now to restore that NAND Backup I made earlier back onto the Wii :P

3. Black_Knight

Newcomer Black_Knight Advanced Member

United States
    So to confirm, the move doesn't wipe everything after the scan and transfer begins, just the games and saves that can be moved and are.

4. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Australia
    Ah, how would I go about creating a NAND backup?

I hear it's 'Launch BootMii via HBC', but I try that and all I get is a black screen and a blinking disc slot. :/

5. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    If you have Bootmii installed, you do it through that.

6. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Australia
    I tried booting it, but it didn't work. :/

EDIT: I didn't have it installed. Dorp.
    Currently in the middle of a NAND backup! (That is, Gear>1st option)