Hacking Safe to update when Priiloader is installed?

mike81

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a red Wii with 4.3u. I've installed Homebrew channel and Bootmii as IOS. If I install Priiloader, is it safe to update the Wii sometime after? I know I have the lastest update now, so it isn't an issue right now.

Does it just depend on what gets updated? What could happen? Would Priiloader just get uninstalled and I would have to reinstall it?

I know I can block disc and online updates, but I'm just asking.

Thanks for the help!

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
block disk updates only.
when nintendo want you to update google (system menu you want to update to) updater.
it's like a normal app for the homebrew channel.
you can use it to not unhack (brick) your wii and allowing it to be up to date and your priiloader doesn't get deleted.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find safe updaters to be rather tedious at times and sometimes you get a ton of people who seem to experience problems with them. So just to say a "Safe Updater" is not the only route to go & will probably take the longest to update with.

Safe Updaters tend to take a little longer to update because they seem to patch things that may not necessarily be needed to be patched, so it's a unnecessary process.

The simplest and easiest way to ever & I mean EVER! update you Wii is to use a program like ModMii or NUSD and obtain the System Menu Wad from one of these apps for pc. Since updates usually only update previous IOS or add new ones to the list, some update to a newer System menu, you can use multiple programs to do these all.

Say you wanted to be on the latest System Menu right? DL the Wad of that system menu with either ModMii or NUSD and install via Wad Manager (multimodmanager is a good choice or any other), now your on the latest System Menu. Note this also applies to downgrading but people tend to brick because the IOS that particular System Menu may need to run on might be a STUB and STUBs are useless, so on that note always make sure the IOS that System Menu uses is installed!

Say you wanted to stay on 4.3 and a newer System Menu came out ok. You can use ModMii to DL all the updated IOS or even use NUSD your choice, however if you have a great internet connection and just love to use it you can grab this nifty little homebrew called WiiMod off the forums here and they have a batch update IOS feature
smile.gif
pretty nice eh.

Is all this unnecessary? probably, yes. So if your worried about updates use Priiloader hacks like "No Disc Updates" and "No Wifi Updates" and when ever a new System Menu comes out that you want you should update via Wad.

You should know that there is no requirement to update to a new System Menu with these 2 hacks active. Games run off a IOS and so does your System Menu so as long as your IOS are up to date you will always be able to pay the latest games with out being forced to update.

You may also want to check out Sneek or Uneek I did and now i love it :)no need to ever update and it runs just like the wii just maybe a little slower. Slower means I have 519+titles on wii and it takes 90sec to boot up and 60 secs to load any game or homebrew now consider if your an average user this will show no effect to you.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
ilman said:
block disk updates only.
when nintendo want you to update google (system menu you want to update to) updater.
it's like a normal app for the homebrew channel.
you can use it to not unhack (brick) your wii and allowing it to be up to date and your priiloader doesn't get deleted.
No. Just...no.

Waninkoko's updater started bricking wii's after 4.2 came out (obvious...it was set to download the latest system menu...but since "the latest" system menu used an IOS that wasn't installed yet, you ended up with a system menu that wouldn't load because it was missing its IOS).
I'm not saying that still happens today, but still..."google updater" the very day a new firmware upgrade arrives? That's just asking for problems. At best, you'll end up with an updater that tells you your wii is up to date (because it only checks for 4.3, and not for whatever future version is just released). At worst, it tries to install the latest system menu...that may use God knows what IOS the next firmware will have.

You also don't seem to understand how priiloader works. It replaces the current system menu (the menu is still there, but on a different name). So yes...assuming a future firmware comes with a new system menu (which is very likely), it will overwrite priiloader, and you will have to reinstall it.

Blocking online updates is at least equally important as the blocking of disc updates. Not just because you could accidentally click 'yes' when it asks for it, but because there are way too much people who have friends, relatives and pets that tend to use the wii at exactly the wrong time...and choose the wrong answer to that question as well.
(heck...I have my wii blocked from all updates and from online usage...and I'm the only user of the thing).

QUOTEDoes it just depend on what gets updated? What could happen?
As mentioned: an updated system menu means you have to reinstall priiloader. Aside from that, I don't think nintendo can do much more than what they already did with 4.2 and 4.3: clean out trucha bugged IOS'es, stub cIOS'es, delete unauthorized channels (the HBC, mostly...though theoretically, they could delete any channel that isn't in their list of legally allowed channels) and update boot2. I don't know to what degree they can do things like delete the \apps folder on your SD card or format any USB drives on your wii, but still...I don't want to be the first one to try it out.

There's something to be said about sneek/uneek too. That thing IS safe. No matter what happens, it cannot touch the actual nand, so if you want to check out updates...that's where you can find a good sandbox environment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.