Hacking Safe To Update To Latest Version?

ChokingVictim87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Long story short-Ive just come back home after a few months working away and haven't been able to update my switch.Im on Atmosphere and have downloaded the latest version, sigpatches etc.

Is it safe to do so? Ive heard home-brew is crashing etc

stsaerox

As old as the NES
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
(fixed)Ive updated sysmmc to 12 and now it won't boot emummc witch is on 11.0.1. Tried to use the latest hekate, atmosphere and payload but I keep gating an error 2002-2634 (0x149402) after switch boot logo. (fixed)

Oh my... I found how to fix it while I was typing this message, I just removed the splatoon 2 cartridge from the slot and it booted!! Now I have to find a working Homebrew app that backups savegames before I get the latest sysmmc update. Can you suggest me one?

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Long story short-Ive just come back home after a few months working away and haven't been able to update my switch.Im on Atmosphere and have downloaded the latest version, sigpatches etc.

Most homebrew should be working fine on the latest version. I haven't updated myself but from what I read only forwarders is not working. You could also choose to update to 11.0.1 instead of the latest version to be completely safe. No games require higher firmware at the moment.

(fixed)Ive updated sysmmc to 12 and now it won't boot emummc witch is on 11.0.1. Tried to use the latest hekate, atmosphere and payload but I keep gating an error 2002-2634 (0x149402) after switch boot logo. (fixed)

Oh my... I found how to fix it while I was typing this message, I just removed the splatoon 2 cartridge from the slot and it booted!! Now I have to find a working Homebrew app that backups savegames before I get the latest sysmmc update. Can you suggest me one?
JKSV is reported to be working on the latest version. There is also mod of Checkpoint in another thread that works on the latest version.

Reactions: stsaerox

stsaerox

As old as the NES
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Most homebrew should be working fine on the latest version. I haven't updated myself but from what I read only forwarders is not working. You could also choose to update to 11.0.1 instead of the latest version to be completely safe. No games require higher firmware at the moment.

JKSV is reported to be working on the latest version. There is also mod of Checkpoint in another thread that works on the latest version.
I had an update notification for sysnand I believe its on 12 (currently I'm on 12 on sysnand but maybe not the latest 12.x.x.x). Does the latest update until today affect in any way a emunand on 11.0.1?

Last edited by stsaerox,

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I had an update notification for sysnand I believe its on 12 (currently I'm on 12 on sysnand but maybe not the latest 12.x.x.x). Does the latest update until today affect in any way a emunand on 11.0.1?
EmuMMC and SysMMC are separate. The only way they affect each other is that the gamecard slot will only work in one of them if the firmware is too far apart.

stsaerox

As old as the NES
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
EmuMMC and SysMMC are separate. The only way they affect each other is that the gamecard slot will only work in one of them if the firmware is too far apart.
Yes I know but my first emuMMC on version 9 under SXOS after updating sysMMC to 10 or 11 couldn't boot anymore probably because there are burned fuses (I don't remember how these are called exactly I'm talking about the firmware downgrade protection)

stsaerox

As old as the NES
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
sorry Ive quoted wrong message

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you mean this? https://github.com/SciresM/Checkpoint/releases/tag/ams-19-compat

I read previous versions had several issues I hope this works

Where should I put the .nro file??? in a specific folder?

EDIT: If anyone sees that "daybreak" app is an acceptable way to update emuMMC later If needed? Or it is trash??

Last edited by stsaerox, , Reason: added daybrake" question

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
sorry Ive quoted wrong message

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you mean this? https://github.com/SciresM/Checkpoint/releases/tag/ams-19-compat

I read previous versions had several issues I hope this works

Where should I put the .nro file??? in a specific folder?

EDIT: If anyone sees that "daybreak" app is an acceptable way to update emuMMC later If needed? Or it is trash??
Yes that is the version I meant.
Put it in \switch folder or make a \switch\Checkpoint folder if you prefer

Daybreak is the prefered way to update EmuMMC offline.

stsaerox

As old as the NES
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Today I had emuMMC boot trouble. Boot sequence was stopping after switch logo.I had to remove both joycons to boot successfully. Seems there are some issues. I'm under hekate 5.5.5 latest atmosphere, I can't understand why issues keep coming, I didn't change anything for days now...

Also modded checkpoint works you can load it by pressing R button while launching a game for beginners.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It is not recommended to update to the latest firmware unless you value online play over homebrew.

rysluoive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
they're called efuses. the 360 used that to protect against downgrading as well.
Hello!
May I ask you something about my switch.
Recently, I've bought a used unpatched nintendo switch from ebay (the s/n is: XAJ70023840___ ) .
When I am trying to run any of the preinstall games (the previous owner hasn't factory reset it and there is a bunch of games already installed) the switch ask me to update the firmware.
So, I would like to ask you, if I want to homebrew my switch, is it safe to update the ofw?
Thank you very much!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!
May I ask you something about my switch.
Recently, I've bought a used unpatched nintendo switch from ebay (the s/n is: XAJ70023840___ ) .
When I am trying to run any of the preinstall games (the previous owner hasn't factory reset it and there is a bunch of games already installed) the switch ask me to update the firmware.
So, I would like to ask you, if I want to homebrew my switch, is it safe to update the ofw?
Thank you very much!
If the console is unpatched, you can update the firmware because the exploit is hardware-based.

rysluoive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If the console is unpatched, you can update the firmware because the exploit is hardware-based.
Hello and thank you very much for your reply!
I was wondering, in order to homebrew my switch (it's defenitely unpatched, I inject the" fusee-test.bin" successfully") if I can follow these steps:
1.Create a micro sd card with the necessary filles.
2. Inject Hekate
3.Create an emuMMC
4.Launch CFW - EmuMCC
5.Use Daybreak to update the Official firmware from 8.0.1 to the latest firmware.

OR

Just update the ofw from the HOME Menu and then follow the above steps from 1-4.
I've read this tutorial: "https://switch.homebrew.guide/index.html"

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello and thank you very much for your reply!
I was wondering, in order to homebrew my switch (it's defenitely unpatched, I inject the" fusee-test.bin" successfully") if I can follow these steps:
1.Create a micro sd card with the necessary filles.
2. Inject Hekate
3.Create an emuMMC
4.Launch CFW - EmuMCC
5.Use Daybreak to update the Official firmware from 8.0.1 to the latest firmware.

OR

Just update the ofw from the HOME Menu and then follow the above steps from 1-4.
I've read this tutorial: "https://switch.homebrew.guide/index.html"
You can follow the first set of steps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse