Safe to play online with geohot 3.55 cfw?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by bloodred, Jan 14, 2011.

Jan 14, 2011
  1. bloodred
    OP

Member bloodred GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I was wondering if it was safe to online on PS3 with 3.55 CFW???
    and has anyone got banned yet?

2. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It's possible to get banned but there has been no reports of anyone getting banned yet. If you use Cfw there is a high chance of getting banned in the future. If playing online on your ps3 is high priority, I would wait it out a bit.

3. oricon

Newcomer oricon Member

United States
    if Sony gets user info via your psn being signed in, I was wondering if you could just make another account on the PS3 that has no Psn to jailbreak the console,

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Sony gets console-use info via turning the machine on... at least if you've configured the internet properly. That's how it tells you "what's new" and "there are updates available" the moment you turn it on.
    EDIT: Console-use as in, logs of how you use the console. That include what DVD/BluRays you've been watching, what games you've been playing, and what hacks you've been running. Some even believe it can force an update on you (without you pressing "yes").

Having a PSN account has nothing to do with it.

5. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Just a thought: when Sony knows what blu-rays you watch, they invade your privacy. That's something they are only legally allowed to do if you agree to it.

Strange thing that the EC hasn't put a stop to it.

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    It's only invasion of privacy if they know who you are. Statistics get no privacy.

If it's just PS3 # that has been watching Underworld BR, Happy Feet BR, and XXX BR, and also happens to have the GeoHotz 3.55 CFW and is running a bunch of games off the HDD and 2 games off BR... there's no "invasion of privacy" anywhere in there. They don't know who it is, they'll just add it to the statistics and flag it for future action (whatever that action may be - we don't know yet).

Then again, laws on privacy vary from region to region, but I imagine they can get away with it. Google does worse and still get away with it.

7. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    If you get banned, there is a very likelyhood that they will ban your console and not your account. Banning your account would be pointless, seeing as you'd just mae a new one.

So if your console get banned, if you're afraid of losing your high level trophy account, don't worry, just log back on another ps3 and if your trophies were synced, then you still have them.

8. shadowkillerdrag

Member shadowkillerdrag GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Personally i think its a bad idea to go and play online with CFW

If i really wanted to do that i woudl just get another ps3 >

9. rdurbin

Member rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    they would probably ban the account too. Im surprised that they would even consider banning you from PSN itself, I understand banning from games, but PSN can be a money maker for them, legitimate console or not. I guess there no way to separate PSN the online store and PSN the online service for playing games. Same reason applies for being on latest version to use PSN, they are blocking people that could buy stuff from the store

10. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I guess it indeed differs from country to country then. Over here, you're only allowed to gather personal information if the one belonging to that information opts in, and there can't be any sort of punishment as they don't (such as denying them access to the service). This applies to all information "relating to a person", and this line is interpreted in the broadest possible way to include ip-addresses and such.

Bad Sony, baaaad. [​IMG]

11. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States

You opted in when you turned on your PS3 for the first time (check your owner's manual), and again when you signed up for PSN.