Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
QUOTE said:
Saddam Hussein sentenced to hang
November 05, 2006
OUSTED Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein and two of his senior allies were today sentenced to death by hanging after an Iraqi court found them guilty of crimes against humanity.

If an automatic review of the death sentence fails, the former strongman will hang within 30 days.

Judge Rauf Rasheed Abdel Rahman ordered bailiffs at the Iraqi High Tribunal to force Saddam to stand before the court as, visibly trembling, the former strongman attempted to shout down the verdict.

"Make him stand," barked Rahman, as Saddam begged the guards: "Don't bend my arms. Don't bend my arms."

A court official held Saddam's hands behind his back as Rahman, shouting to be heard over the defendant's protests, declared: "The highest penalty should be implemented."

Saddam was sentenced to death for his role in ordering the deaths of 148 Shi'ites in the village of Dujail, north of Baghdad.

As he was led away, his arms still pinioned, Saddam declared: "Long live Iraq. Long live the Iraqi people. God is greater than the occupier."

Saddam's half-brother and intelligence chief Barzan al-Tikriti was also sentenced to death, as was Awad Ahmed al-Bandar, who was convicted as the president of the kangaroo court which ordered the Shi'ites executed.

The former vice president Taha Yassin Ramadan received a life sentence, while three Baath party officials from Dujail received 15 years each and a fourth, more junior figure, was cleared. Saddam will have his sentence automatically reviewed by an appeals panel.

If the appeal judges find grounds to question the judgment, Saddam will face another trial.

If not, the sentence imposed today will stand and will be carried out within 30 days.

Under the statutes establishing the tribunal in December 2003, both the defence and the prosecution have the right to appeal the verdict.

Saddam's lawyers would have to show there was an error in procedure or non-respect for the law.

"If Saddam is condemned to death, the defence will appeal," Lebanese lawyer Bushra Khalil of Saddam's defence team said earlier this week.

If the original sentence is upheld, however, the tribunal statutes say that the sentence must be carried out within 30 days, a fact confirmed by public prosecutor Jaafar al-Mussawi.

Saddam has also been on trial since August 21 charged with ordering the Anfal Campaign in the Kurdish heartland of northern Iraq in 1987 and 1988 which resulted in the deaths of more than 180,000 people, prosecutors say.

"As for the other trials, the tribunal will judge those defendants still living, since those who have been executed can no longer be prosecuted," Mussawi added in June.

The statutes state that no authority, not even the president, can pardon anyone convicted by the tribunal or commute their sentences.

Source: The Australian

This sentence was definitely expected but I'm not too happy about it. I don't believe in the death penalty, not for anyone. Saddam was responsible for so many deaths and tortures, why give him a quick exit from the world? What resolution will that bring? Death wont solve what he's done.

Just my opinion though. Thoughts?

masvill20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
He deserves a slow death, since that's even more painful than a hanging. So he can feel all the pain he has brought to this world. (Just my sadistic side, sorry, but still, he deserves what's coming to him)

johnnyafc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well there will probs be a Channel 5 Show 'Hanging Live' - least he will be popluar with women, being 'well hung'
wink.gif

neveras

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hang him and guaranteed the picture of him on the end of the rope will be the cover of most newspapers and magazines across the world and will survive for a very very long time as an Iconic picture.

Lock him up and let him fade into obscurity.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Hang him and guaranteed the picture of him on the end of the rope will be the cover of most newspapers and magazines across the world and will survive for a very very long time as an Iconic picture.

I´m sure there will be no photo, that will make a stupid urban legend about how the let Saddam free.
dry.gif

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow, 2 massive republican gay sex scandals, Whitehouse releasing Atom Bomb blueprints in Arabic on a website, and the hanging of Saddam. Why can't all these people just chill out over a huge hoagie ? ? ?

8b-hoagie-super-sub-450px-jpg.jpg

neveras

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I´m sure there will be no photo, that will make a stupid urban legend about how the let Saddam free.
dry.gif

I'm quite positive there will be a photo and quite positive if they have an execution it will be publicized. Maybe not if it happened on U.S. soil but definitly since it will happen on Iraqi soil.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It says trail, but it wasnt a trail . They should have not done this , so many things stink during this whole course.

Pathetic excuse to hang him, they shoulda just done that when he was overthrown save us the mockery in the "court" room

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know Saddam is evil. But hes an old man and probably going to die in a few years anyway, whats the use of hanging him. Saying they'll hang him is like they're some kind of victorian lynch mob .

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
I just hope that one day Bush and Blair will have to stand trial for crimes against humanity too . They have murdered a lot more innocent people in Iraq than Saddam ever did!

How about Bush senior being hauled up as well ? Considering he's the one that gave Saddam the chemical weapons, it's only fair that he should be put on trial.
unsure.gif

Hypocrisy at it's best.
lecture.gif

L

lastdual

^ Bush and Blair aren't forcing the Sunni and Shia to kill each other...

Unfortunately, it seems like it took someone as brutal and Saddam to keep peace in the region (except in the north, which is largely peacefull because the Kurds outright kill any insurgents that show up from Iran or Syria). Saddam was only a year away from nukes, and given his track record it's good he's gone, but now we've got another nuclear arms race about to start in middle east as all the countries that feel threatened by Iran are pushing to start their own nuclear programs as well...yay...

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know hanging for those who want a slow painful death can be. If the drop doesn't snap your neck you will slowly suffocate to death or get the blood cut off from your head from the rope+neck+your dangling weight. It can take hours or worse in some cases to finish someone that way.

Personally I think the death penalty is fine, especially in cases like this one. Furthemore had they chose to keep him alive he would just be more trouble than it is worth with him being a mouthpiece for those who side with him still, and a reason to try and break him out over the years causing more violence than there already is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-