Hardware Ryzen 1700 Build

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, Everything has been assembled and tuned to the best of my ability. I'm open to suggestions on benchmarks and real-work testing! It was super fun getting this together, and now I want to put it through the wringer! Heres a few pics of the build, and from what I've done already.
Capture.PNG IMG_0262[1].PNG IMG_0263[1].PNG Capture.PNG IMG_0265[1].PNG

I think this is the strongest/best/most advanced tech I've ever owned. Played Minecraft and Homefront, seemed pretty stable besides some weird buggy stuff(maybe someone can help me tune that out) like I can run 1080 in Homefront at great FPS, but Minecraft can be laggy. I think its just over resourced for the game. Did a bit of video work and it is so much quicker than anything I've worked on before. Extremely happy with the results overall though! Eventually going to drop another stupid amount of money into this again, for a Vega card(hopefully workstation for CAD work) a 4K monitor, some VR gear, up the RAM to 64GB, and a 4 TB SSD.

Hi everyone! So I'm currently putting together my first high-end rig(at least I think it's high-end). I've bought this
image.png image.png

image.png image.png

Went a bit over budget on the tower, but OS/programs will make that back in savings.

Main uses will be video/sound editing and production, a little gaming, and possibly streaming. On a scale of 1-10 in PC building experience, I'd say I was at best a 4. Super thrilled and looking forward to assembling this and working on it!

image.png image.png
image.png image.png
image.png image.png

Update: Had to get a MSI B350 Tomahawk because Amazon got dumb(Long Story) so I ordered from Newegg, and yeah.

Thanks everyone for all the input and help! Especially @raystriker and @Foxi4

Attachments

• IMG_0264[1].PNG
    IMG_0264[1].PNG
    57.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by brickmii82,

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I think you could do better on the SSD price. I got mine for $40, almost half as the one yours is

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Get a gtx 1060
I beg to differ. The RX480 and GTX1060 perform equally, since the AMD ReLive update-and thats for the 8GB and 6GB versions. The 3GB version of the GTX1060 has lesser CUDA cores, while the 4GB RX480 performs identically to the 8GB version. AMD GPUs age better.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You could also do for with a better case and PSU

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to keep the tower under $1000 USD for now(I'm sure I'll have plenty of upgrade options over the next year or 2), and peripherals and OS/programs I assume will hit me for at least $600USD more.

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSU I chose because it had good reviews and ratings, which I still skepticized by asking you folks what you thought. Off the build now, so Im looking at other options through Newegg and such.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
GPU-wise go Nvidia. AMD performs better in DX12 by a small margin and synthetic benchmarks put them on a similar level, but in real-life applications, especially in gaming, Nvidia performs significantly better.

Reactions: brickmii82

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GPU-wise go Nvidia. AMD performance better in DX12 by a small margin and synthetic benchmarks put them on a similar level, but in real-life applications, especially in gaming, Nvidia performs significantly better.

Well, I already purchased the RX480. I suppose I can tinker around with it for a bit, but in a few months I'd like to get a workstation card for 3D modeling and foolery with a good 3D printer.

Everything in the OP has been bought, and I'm looking around for Windows, Kaspersky, Vegas Pro and/or Adobe Premier, a decent 4K monitor to go split screen with the one I have already, and a trackball mouse. Mines breaking lol.

I have the SSD, case, and power supply in my cart on Newegg, so I'm just sitting on it to decide if I want to add anything else.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, I already purchased the RX480. I suppose I can tinker around with it for a bit, but in a few months I'd like to get a workstation card for 3D modeling and foolery with a good 3D printer.

Everything in the OP has been bought, and I'm looking around for Windows, Kaspersky, Vegas Pro and/or Adobe Premier, a decent 4K monitor to go split screen with the one I have already, and a trackball mouse. Mines breaking lol.

I have the SSD, case, and power supply in my cart on Newegg, so I'm just sitting on it to decide if I want to add anything else.
What SSD are you getting? I've had great experiences with Samsung Evo 8xx drives using 3D-NAND, so I suggest those. With their prefetch toolkit enabled, R/W speeds surpass the quadruple digits mark, which is extremely impressive, and even without prefetch you can count on 500mbps reads, at least according to Crystalbench. I'm rocking an 850 Evo and I couldn't be happier with it - it's affordable and blazing fast.

As for the PSU, don't buy the cheapest thing you can get - you'll need stable lanes.

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What SSD are you getting? I've had great experiences with Samsung EVO 8xx Evo drives using 3D-NAND, so I suggest those. With their prefetch toolkit enabled, R/W speeds surpass the quadruple digits mark, which is extremely impressive, and even without prefetch you can count on 500mbps reads, at least according to Crystalbench. I'm rocking an 850 Evo and I couldn't be happier with it - it's affordable and blazing fast.

As for the PSU, don't buy the cheapest thing you can get - you'll need stable lanes.

I have an ADATA SU800 256GB in cart, though I just looked at the Samsung Evo you've suggested and the price difference should be small if there is one. Newegg won't give me the price until after checkout, and it lists for 94$ USD while the other is 78$. If I have a disc copy of Win7, could I get away with installing that initially then using a cheap Win10 product key and download? I could cut the price of Windows in half at least that way.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have an ADATA SU800 256GB in cart, though I just looked at the Samsung Evo you've suggested and the price difference should be small if there is one. Newegg won't give me the price until after checkout, and it lists for 94$ USD while the other is 78$. If I have a disc copy of Win7, could I get away with installing that initially then using a cheap Win10 product key and download? I could cut the price of Windows in half at least that way.
You can get away with using Windows 7 permanently if you want, many users never upgraded to 10 at all, proclaim good performance and they swear by it, but I personally prefer 10.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are talking about a "high end built", yet you stick to a RX 480 which is everything, but high end.
and what do you need an X mobo for when you do not crossfire/SLI?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
you are talking about a "high end built", yet you stick to a RX 480 which is everything, but high end.
and what do you need an X mobo for when you do not crossfire/SLI?
Future upgrades. If he's not planning on playing VR games or using 4K, he won't really need any more horsepower. From what I understand, this'll be a rig for video editing first and gaming second, so the focus is the CPU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1