RELEASE Ryjin: A NSZ Converter Mod

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by GnK23, Oct 15, 2019.

1. GnK23
    OP

GnK23 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2016
    United States
    I was having second thoughts at first on releasing this early the second version because there are no available installer to support this yet. I will change the order or even take out the older version once tinfoil/lithium is updated.

linuxares likes this.
  2. nicoboss

nicoboss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2019
    Switzerland
    Why don't you just put all exe files in one release? There is no reason why you shouldn't use NSZ 2.0 for solid compression too. You named the zip "Ryjin 2 A NSZ 2.0 Converter MOD Early Release.zip" so if you extract it on Windows using right click there will be spaces inside the path breaking your script. Please add support for spaces in file paths. I also noted that if python.exe isn't the default start application for .py files it will open the editor instead of python.exe registered inside PATH. Why do you even still require installing python and its libraries for your tool. You could just ship a portable python version with all the libraries installed with your release like I’ve done it for https://nicobosshard.itch.io/floatmotion portable version. There are even tools like https://pypi.org/project/auto-py-to-exe/ or https://pypi.org/project/PyInstaller/ packing everything into a single exe file so a zip wouldn't even be required anymore. Your shortened NSZ 2.0 changelog should better states something like “Block compression technically supports playing compressed games in the future” as otherwise it could be misleading. Other than that, I really like your tool as it simplifies the process of creating solid and block compressed NSZ files a lot.

GnK23 likes this.
  3. GnK23
    OP

GnK23 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2016
    United States
    Thanks Im going to work on it during my free time.

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Now we need an XCI compressor to make XCZ files and SX OS needs to add mounting of XCZ files to their CFW.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If it is illegal because it requires a modified sysmodule (I'm assuming this is the case), wouldn't an easy legal way of doing it be to simply dump the needed files from the system and patch them? Could even be automated from something like Hekate. Or are they doing it using official/leaked SDK tools/info?
    Or is the problem that they are including game card keys in their firmware? As some past history has shown, leaking encryption keys seems to be legal or at the very least in a gray area where it's unprosecutable, you can still find the DVD encryption key all over the internet to this day and it's even hosted on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AACS_encryption_key_controversy
    Companies tried to have it taken down from sites, some complied, others did not, ultimately nothing ever came of it and the sites that didn't comply were unharmed. Their lawyers probably told them they would lose if they went to court over it.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Oct 21, 2019
  6. GnK23
    OP

GnK23 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2016
    United States
    Removed Ryjin 2 for now: I will wait until tinfoil is updated to support the new nsz
    Added Ryjin 1.4 see changelog for new features.
    Thanks @nicoboss for the tip last night.

I tried packing all the files into one single exe but the problem is it takes more time for the pc to execute the exe everytime the app is used plus the working folder is now bigger 200KB = 16mb. You can feel the effect when you launch Ryjin 1.4. For now it will remain separated so as not to double the execution time.

Last edited by GnK23, Oct 22, 2019
  7. blawar

blawar Developer

pip Developer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    just dont write the index section if its solid compression.

8. GnK23
    OP

GnK23 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2016
    United States
    Sorry im confused. What is the command for solid compression with threading for nsz 2.0?

Threading for 2.0 is only availble for block compression

Last edited by GnK23, Oct 22, 2019
  9. nicoboss

nicoboss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2019
    Switzerland
    It was removed by blawar according to him "It barely helped speeds and hurt compression ratio"
    Source: https://github.com/nicoboss/nsz/issues/6

For solid compression you want to achieve multithreading by compressing multiple games at the same time not by multithreaded compressing a single one as zStandard will just internally make independent blocks for each thread lowering compressing ratio. If this behavior is intended block compression should be used instead. It was a mistake to even add solid multithread compression in the first place.

10. GnK23
    OP

GnK23 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2016
    United States
    I see... if that's the case then I will stick with pre nsz 2.0 for now. Until nsz block compression is fully adapted with the installers.
    It is difficult to convert solid compression without threading especially if im going to convert only one big file.

11. nicoboss

nicoboss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2019
    Switzerland
    You shouldn't as it was removed on purpose and would take less than a minute to add it to NSZ 2.0. Solid multithreaded compressed games DON'T have the quality you would get when compressing them single threaded. It's bad enough it was there in the first place and I highly recommend for everybody solid compressed their games with multithreading enabled to recompress without multithreading. If multithreaded solid compression is really required for some users, we could make a warning to inform the user about its disadvantages. It's like block compression but without any of its advantages and all its disadvantages. It's so dumb but if you really want it, I can add it again with a warning. I highly recommend NOT to use it except maybe to temporary compress a game just to transfer over and then deleting the NSZ file.

Last edited by nicoboss, Oct 22, 2019
    GnK23 likes this.
  12. GnK23
    OP

GnK23 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2016
    United States
    I think that's better because it would give users more options over their files.

13. nicoboss

nicoboss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2019
    Switzerland
    Yes true I agree and will add it. However it needs to be made very clear the file generated that way are quite dirty and have a worse compression ratio then without multithreading and the only real reason to use them is because current title installers don't support block compressed NSZ files. Once they do there is absolutely no reason for such ugly compressed files to even exist. Please only use that feature for temporary NSZ files as you definitely don't want to long-term store your games in such a format.

GnK23 likes this.
  14. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    How do you get the keys.txt from your switch?

15. nicoboss

nicoboss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2019
    Switzerland
    Last edited by nicoboss, Oct 22, 2019
    t-bot likes this.
  16. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    I already have my prod.keys and whenever the program opens all I get is a blank command prompt window.

17. GnK23
    OP

GnK23 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2016
    United States
    Have you tried to rename your prod keys to keys.txt?

18. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Yes. But still get no results- nevermind, guess I had to wait a while :P

19. GnK23
    OP

GnK23 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2016
    United States
    Probably the blank command prompt is the result of the decompression for the nsz.exe file I place there. Try to wait for the program to finish loading then it will execute the command. Dont close the program.

DuoForce likes this.
  20. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Is there any kind of framework required to run this? That may be this persons problem.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted