Hacking RxTools O3DS Help

GeBeCluck23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so, after following numerous guides, and trying multiple different combinations, I'm finally turning to the forums for help. I want to use MenuHax 2.0 to boot CTRBoot Manager 1.2, to in turn boot RxTools. I've read all the guides, and 90% of it I got figured out. I used BrowserHax to get to the starter kit, which in turn, I used for MenuHax, and then CTRBoot Manager. And here's the thing, it all worked fine. As a matter of fact, I also tried doing all of this in my N3DS, and it all worked fine, and I'm even autobooting into EmuNAND and everything via RxTools! Ironically however, when I try to get it to work on my O3DS, that's where I run into problems. I can always boot INTO RxTools, but once I get there, the initialization either fails, it reboots to CTRBoot Manager, it straight up hangs, or gives me a NATIVE_FIRM error, all depending on which version of RxTools I use. (Or depending on where I put firmware.bin, or rather I try renaming it, but don't even get me STARTED on that!)

TL;DR
How do I autoboot RxTools on O3DS? I've tried NUMEROUS combinations, and can't get it to work.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it's a recent build then it doesn't use firmware.bin. You need to run the python script and it will create a firm folder with 3 files in it which you move to the rxtools folder.

GeBeCluck23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's a recent build then it doesn't use firmware.bin. You need to run the python script and it will create a firm folder with 3 files in it which you move to the rxtools folder.
I have tried this build a few times as well. I'm afraid that I didn't meticulously write down every single combination I've tried, (I probably should have...) however I know that I've tried that a few times. That is, running the python script and then putting "firm" and the resulting files within it, into rxTools. If I remember correctly, I believe I used the latest nightly build (12-05-15, as of this writing) and had my directories setup like:
[SD]:\rxTools\firm\*.bin (<- 3 files)

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
but once I get there, the initialization either fails, it reboots to CTRBoot Manager, it straight up hangs, or gives me a NATIVE_FIRM error, all depending on which version of RxTools I use. (Or depending on where I put firmware.bin, or rather I try renaming it, but don't even get me STARTED on that!)
O3DS / rxTools 1024-now
- Double click cdn_firm.py to generate "firm" directory.
- Move "firm" directory into SD://rxTools

O3DS / rxTools 1001-1002
- Double click cdn_firm.py to generate firmware.bin
- Move firmware.bin into SD://rxTools/sys

N3DS / rxTools 1024-now
- Find CakesFW firmware.bin
- Rename it into 0004013820000002.bin
- Move it into SD://rxTools/firm

N3DS / rxTools 1001-1002
- Find ReiNAND firmware.bin
- Rename it into 0004013820000002.bin
- Move it into SD://rxTools/data

GeBeCluck23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But can you boot rxtools via other entrypoints? (mset or browser)
Okay so, like an idiot, I forgot to mention that I'm on a 9.2 firmware 3DS, in other words, mset isn't an option. I went on the browser though, went to rxtools.net, clicked on Launch, and it said it expected RxTools.dat. That wasn't included in the other builds I've been using, so I went ahead and downloaded RxTools 2.6 from the website, which gave me a .dat file as well as a means of loading through Cubic Ninja, (which I do not own, but I figured that CTRBoot Manager should be able to load it, as it's a .3dsx file) so I went ahead and setup my SD Card for that, so I had:
[SD]:\firmware.bin
\rxTools.dat
\rxtools.3dsx
\rxtools.smdh

All four of those files are on the root of the SD Card.
(I find it odd that version 2.6 doesn't come with an actual "rxTools" folder. Is that intentional or not? Because I went ahead and deleted my current rxTools folder off the SD Card in case the newer version's data interfered.)

Finally, I tried the browser method on rxtools.net again; it failed. Booted me back to the Home Menu, and said something about an error occuring. I figured I would give the .3dsx file a shot, so I modified my boot.cfg file (considering I've been using CTRBoot Manager this entire time) to redirect where it looks for rxTools to be "rxtools.3dsx" in the root directory, rather than the default "rxtools\sys\code.bin" that's usually there.
...That failed too. It seems like it made an attempt to load the .3dsx file, but instantly hung on a black screen.
(And for further clarification, I can get into CTRBoot Manager just fine. From within CTRBoot Manager, I can go to the Homebrew Manager and everything, there's no issue there. It's just the STINKING rxTools that's having the issue.)

(...And again, recall that I got this all setup perfectly fine on my N3DS. Menuhax, CTRBoot Manager, and rxTools, they all work just fine. It's just on this rotten O3DS that I'm having trouble. Bleahg!!)

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so, like an idiot, I forgot to mention that I'm on a 9.2 firmware 3DS, in other words, mset isn't an option. I went on the browser though, went to rxtools.net, clicked on Launch, and it said it expected RxTools.dat. That wasn't included in the other builds I've been using, so I went ahead and downloaded RxTools 2.6 from the website, which gave me a .dat file as well as a means of loading through Cubic Ninja, (which I do not own, but I figured that CTRBoot Manager should be able to load it, as it's a .3dsx file) so I went ahead and setup my SD Card for that, so I had:
[SD]:\firmware.bin
\rxTools.dat
\rxtools.3dsx
\rxtools.smdh

All four of those files are on the root of the SD Card.
(I find it odd that version 2.6 doesn't come with an actual "rxTools" folder. Is that intentional or not? Because I went ahead and deleted my current rxTools folder off the SD Card in case the newer version's data interfered.)

Finally, I tried the browser method on rxtools.net again; it failed. Booted me back to the Home Menu, and said something about an error occuring. I figured I would give the .3dsx file a shot, so I modified my boot.cfg file (considering I've been using CTRBoot Manager this entire time) to redirect where it looks for rxTools to be "rxtools.3dsx" in the root directory, rather than the default "rxtools\sys\code.bin" that's usually there.
...That failed too. It seems like it made an attempt to load the .3dsx file, but instantly hung on a black screen.
(And for further clarification, I can get into CTRBoot Manager just fine. From within CTRBoot Manager, I can go to the Homebrew Manager and everything, there's no issue there. It's just the STINKING rxTools that's having the issue.)

(...And again, recall that I got this all setup perfectly fine on my N3DS. Menuhax, CTRBoot Manager, and rxTools, they all work just fine. It's just on this rotten O3DS that I'm having trouble. Bleahg!!)
Ok follow this tutorial its very straight forward and includes steps for auto booting https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ if you have problems ask in that thread and dont make more Honestly Just format everything and strart fresh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson