Hacking rxTools Issues

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi everybody! Over the past 2 days I have been trying to use rxTools on a 2DS I picked up running 9.0.0-20E. The only issue is.... I can't create an EmuNand through the Gateway menu! When I format my EmuNand it sits there and performs the operation like you'd expect it to, however once it's finished and I turn off my DS, once the SD card is placed into the computer and checked with Disk Management there's only one partition (Which I think is normal). However according to @samiam144 my EmuNand is taking up more space then it should! The 4GB card that came with my 2DS only had 1.71GB left after the format and the 8GB card I'm currently experimenting with (Testing with small cards before buying a larger one) has 5.52GB. Whenever I boot into rxTools (using version 2.6) the EmuNand text in the lower left corner is red despite me formatting everything correctly (To my understanding I do it correctly).
The launcher.dat was obtained from Gateway's official site and is the latest release (3.4.1) so that shouldn't cause the issue (Unless the file got corrupted whilst I downloaded it).

So have any of you Temper's got any advice/help to give me? I would really appreciate it! :yaynds:
I have posted a thread about this issue on the official support forum for Gateway but I haven't had any response from there so I thought you guys would be the best to ask!

Last edited by Baccabechoppin,

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Please change the latest nightly version which you can get it from rxTools big thread.

BTW, is 2DS's NAND size 2GB?

Last edited by MelonGx,

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Not been able to create an emunand has nothing to do with rxTools

- Try using a quality known brand for SD (Sandisk / Samsung / Etc...)
- Format the SD with SDFormatter v4
- Get the latest Gateway files from Gateway site
- Place launcher.dat in the root of your SD
- Boot into Gateway menu
- Dump your NAND and follow Step 1 or Step 2

Step1:
- Format Emunand (This will wipe everything from your SD (including your NAND.bin))
- Boot into Emunand

Step 2
- Remove your SD from the 3DS and connect it to your PC
- Backup your NAND.bin file for later re-use and backup
- Remove your SD safe from your computer
- Place it back and boot back into Gateway Menu
- Format Emunand (This will wipe everything from your SD (including your NAND.bin))
- Boot into Emunand

You should be good to go now and install rxTools to your SD (see rxTools topic) or ask help here: [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS)

Last edited by DjoeN,

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not been able to create an emunand has nothing to do with rxTools

- Try using a quality known brand for SD (Sandisk / Samsung / Etc...)
- Format the SD with SDFormatter v4
- Get the latest Gateway files from Gateway site
- Place launcher.dat in the root of your SD
- Boot into Gateway menu
- Dump your NAND and follow Step 1 or Step 2

Step1:
- Boot into Emunand

Step 2
- Remove your SD from the 3DS and connect it to your PC
- Backup your NAND.bin file for later re-use and backup
- Remove your SD safe from your computer
- Place it back and boot back into Gateway Menu
- Boot into Emunand

You should be good to go now and install rxTools to your SD (see rxTools topic) or ask help here: [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS)
Don't have a Gateway card so I can't boot into EmuNand without rxTools, however I followed step 2 and the problem is still there. I'm starting to believe it's an issue with the card itself however I cannot try with either of my Sandisk cards as they have all my Wii homebrew on them

wiiando

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't have a Gateway card so I can't boot into EmuNand without rxTools, however I followed step 2 and the problem is still there. I'm starting to believe it's an issue with the card itself however I cannot try with either of my Sandisk cards as they have all my Wii homebrew on them

You don't need a gateway card to boot into emunand

Reactions: MelonGx

wiiando

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
If he can't boot into classic mode, something is wrong.
You should be able to boot into gateway classic mode without gateway cart, if you can't do that, no need to start setting up rxTools
Something is wrong with your emunand, like i said, try using a quality SD in the first place

bitjacker

GBAtemp Disorderly
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
run diskpart. list disk. select disk (the disk that is your sd). clean. create partition. take out sd card and reinsert. does it show up as a drive with its full capacity now? now try format emunand.

Last edited by bitjacker,

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BTW, is 2DS's NAND size 2GB?
Just found something interesting: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Flashcart_FAQ#What_is_the_correct_size_of_the_NAND_dump.3F

Seems she/he has one of those 2DS with a 1.21GB nand.

@Baccabechoppin what size is you nand.bin when you highlight it, is it 1.21GB? That would explain why your emunand partition becomes 2GB whenever you format emunand.

Btw, I thought your were using rxtools 3.0 beta, from the tutorial, you should try it if you haven't already.
-----------
Found the above info here: https://gbatemp.net/entry/possible-2ds-nand-backup.10503/
The user @thaikhoa says "GW knows that and loads emuNAND properly while other CFWs can't do." when speaking about the 2DS that has a 1.21GB Samsung NAND like an N3DS.

@AlbertoSONIC is that still true?

RainThunder

Trophies
XP
Country
If he can't boot into classic mode, something is wrong.
You should be able to boot into gateway classic mode without gateway cart, if you can't do that, no need to start setting up rxTools.
His emuNAND is higher than 8.x, which means he can't boot into Classic Mode without Gateway cart.

@thaikhoa has a solution here

Last edited by RainThunder,

AlbertoSONIC

Pasta Team Member
Trophies
Website
www.albertosonic.com
XP
Country
Italy
Just found something interesting: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Flashcart_FAQ#What_is_the_correct_size_of_the_NAND_dump.3F

Seems she/he has one of those 2DS with a 1.21GB nand.

@Baccabechoppin what size is you nand.bin when you highlight it, is it 1.21GB? That would explain why your emunand partition becomes 2GB whenever you format emunand.

Btw, I thought your were using rxtools 3.0 beta, from the tutorial, you should try it if you haven't already.
-----------
Found the above info here: https://gbatemp.net/entry/possible-2ds-nand-backup.10503/
The user @thaikhoa says "GW knows that and loads emuNAND properly while other CFWs can't do." when speaking about the 2DS that has a 1.21GB Samsung NAND like an N3DS.

@AlbertoSONIC is that still true?
Yeah It's true.. We have the solution ready (reading the nand size instead using hardcoded offsets) but I really didn't have much time to work on rxTools in last month... :(

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@RainThunder So he will need another 3DS or 2DS that has a ~950mb nand chip? Damn :/

@AlbertoSONIC :(
at least it's close to completion :)

@Baccabechoppin So you have two options for now.

1. Try what thaikhoa did (you will need to find another 3DS/2DS that can format emunand on your SD card)

2. Skip the emunand part of the tutorial and just setup the RxTools files + Inject FBI into sysnand (Unless this is also not possible due to your nand size?)
Then when a fix is ready for you, you can just backup your SD card, Format Emunand, move your SD card stuff back, and everything will have migrated to your emunand.

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The NAND.bin is 1.21GB, so I would have to find another O3DS with a smaller NAND size, create my own NAND with Decrypt9, then format EmuNand with the O3DS and then inject my own NAND into that correct? I don't have another DS to try with, I only have a N3DSXL & the 2DS so this'll be fun!!! However once I get it all running how would I inject my NAND into the formatted EmuNand?
(An idea: Couldn't someone just send me a smaller NAND? Or do I have to manually create it?)

Reactions: thaikhoa

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The NAND.bin is 1.21GB, so I would have to find another O3DS with a smaller NAND size, create my own NAND with Decrypt9, then format EmuNand with the O3DS and then inject my own NAND into that correct? I don't have another DS to try with, I only have a N3DSXL & the 2DS so this'll be fun!!! However once I get it all running how would I inject my NAND into the formatted EmuNand?
(An idea: Couldn't someone just send me a smaller NAND? Or do I have to manually create it?)
Your idea wouldn't work because you need Gateway to make the partition of 1GB in size on your own card.

But I just had an idea :o

You create your nand backup using Decrypt9

Then I can make a new emunand on my spare 4GB SD card, and make an image of it (an exact copy) using USB Image Tool. Then I will send it to you and you can use that same tool to "restore" the image to your card.

Finally, you can inject your nand backup made using Decrypt9 over my emunand that is within the image that you "restore" to your SD card!

The downside is, the image I send you will be about 3.7GB :/ If you're down with that then send me a message :P
Also, it may not work for whatever reason, but I say it's worth a shot :)

Last edited by samiam144,

Piluvr

Yeeeet
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your idea wouldn't work because you need Gateway to make the partition of 1GB in size on your own card.

But I just had an idea :o

You create your nand backup using Decrypt9

Then I can make a new emunand on my spare 4GB SD card, and make an image of it (an exact copy) using USB Image Tool. Then I will send it to you and you can use that same tool to "restore" the image to your card.

Finally, you can inject your nand backup made using Decrypt9 over my emunand that is within the image that you "restore" to your SD card!

The downside is, the image I send you will be about 3.7GB :/ If you're down with that then send me a message :P
Also, it may not work for whatever reason, but I say it's worth a shot :)
wouldnt that brick?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Push it :creep: