RxTools 9.5 > CFW 10.3

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jonnytron, Jan 17, 2016.

1. jonnytron
    OP

jonnytron Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2015
    I've heard talk of Cakes and Reinand supporting emunand of 10.3 these days. I'd like my N3DS system to be running a 10.3 emunand but i'm currently running a coldboot into RxTools 9.5 with A LOT of titles loaded.
    I was wondering how easy it is to switch over CFW's and how similar my options are to RxTools (given that i'm pretty sure a lot of my cia's are out of region and/or include DLC. A few things i've heard mixed experience of with reinand at least.

Any advise on a good tutorial or possible issues i might face with;
    - out of region games
    - DLC

2. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Just wait until rxTools releases it's 10.3 support, it won't be much longer.

Anyways if you still want to migrate you just need to get the other CFW files and put them in your SD card, and add entries to ctrbootmanager.

That's all you need to do...

3. Aroth

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Switching is not hard. Just place the files for the new cfw on your sd card and load it instead of rxtools. I strongly suggest you make a backup of your emunand and sd first though, JUST to be safe.

Your biggest issue will be out of region cias and their DLC. From what I understand, you have to load hans, ntr, or fmp to play those in the first place on rxTools, and the same is true for Reinand (though NTR does not work atm on a N3DS with 9.6+ firm).

As for other "features", reinand supports loading DS carts, DSiWare and gba vc games (ambassador AND injected) from emunand. For DSiWare and Ambassador GBA games, you will need to install the titles to both emunand and sysnand. For injected GBA games you will also need to install the patched agb_firm (you can find it on that iso site) to emunand AND sysnand.

4. jonnytron
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2015
    If theres such an RxTools build coming then ill probably wait for that to drop thanks. I'm in no great rush at this point

Good to hear its easy to do and i'd always make backups with the amount i've got on the emunand at this point. out of region cia's work just in Rx with pasta but i dont believe their DLC does without NTR etc.

5. Aroth

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    I know DLC never works unless its the same region as the installed game. Basically the last 8 characters of the DLC's TitleID have to match the ones from the game itself.

6. jonnytron
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2015
    Well if I was to attempt use of a DLC i'd have it match the region of the game itself. I haven't tried using for instance JP DLC but i know that JP, US and EU cias work and EU DLC (EU system). I think its out of region DLC that don't work even on the game with a matched region to them (without NTR)?

7. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    It will come, they just have to add support for the new keys. I'd expect it sooner rather than later.

8. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    10.3 support should be a good-enough reason to FINALLY have a new official RxTools release. What's this vague stuff about CFWs and nightlies and mods. Just pop out an official "unstable"/beta release very 2 months and a "stable" every 6 months, or sooner when circumstances allow/require.

Another example: CTR 3.2 was released back in March (which is just a month and a half away) with experimental features.