Rusty on emulation knowledge, what is safe for playing DS roms?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Moekou Fujiwara, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Moekou Fujiwara
    OP

Moekou Fujiwara Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2013
    United States
    By this point I already bought most of the games for the 3DS games I'm interested in so the primary interest in a flashcard would be for games not localized.

However I recently just found my Acecard 2 filled with DS games. Does it not work since my 3DS is currently updated to the latest official firmware? Do I really need to get the 2i instead? Is it dangerous to even try putting it in? I've been scared to try since I don't want to take any chances since I've heard bricking stories. Getting an itch to finally beat Okamiden after my 2nd DS broke down.

2. mainframe004

mainframe004 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2010
    Flashcarts bricking 3DSes are just rumors that have no truth to them at all. Here's more info on why: http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-bricking-rumor.284730/

As for the acekard 2i, it no longer works on the latest firmware since there are no more firmware updates for the flashcart that allow it to run on the latest 3DS firmware.

3. Moekou Fujiwara
    OP

Moekou Fujiwara Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2013
    United States
    Hmm, are there currently any cards to play DS games on 3DS even with the latest firmware?

4. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
    R4 clones - these you will have to find a vendor that actually sells one that works on the firmware your 3DS is on.
    DSTWO - has an update ready within a few days of a 3DS firmware update.

5. Moekou Fujiwara
    OP

Moekou Fujiwara Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2013
    United States
    I see thanks. Which ones would you guys most recommend?

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i recomend you DSTWO since it allways get updated up to today... and they are quick to update it... and it had resisted so far...

other r4 clones just get 1-2 updates and nintendo ban them permanently

7. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Dstwo worked for me fine. It can update itself even when 3DSfirmware is to new to lauch properly as it is, so don't worry.

8. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    DSTWO is pricey but is gonna be the most worry free solution as of right now, based off of their track record with this card in the past.

Aside from DSi Mode (only the (blocked) CycloDS iEvo has it), this card has more features than any other on the market, so you're going to be able to emulate GBA and SNES games fairly decently with it as well.

9. Moekou Fujiwara
    OP

Moekou Fujiwara Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2013
    United States
    Oh, it's pricy? How much is it usually? I got my Acecard 2 years ago for under $20 online.

If it costs more than $40-$50, I might be better off just buying some old used DS.

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The AK2 never worked with the DSi or 3DS. It was made before the DSi or 3DS were even out.
    The 2i was blocked a few updates back, in 5.0. Same update the Gateway was blocked in, coincidentally.

About $35. It's not pricy compared to the likes of CycloDS, in fact I never considered it pricy at all. Here it's less than half the price of a new handheld game, but price doesn't matter anyway when you're getting access to a library of thousands of games.

11. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Yeah its usually between $35 and $40 USD depending on where you buy from, not including shipping costs. I consider it pricey in comparison to other cards I've had, and considering a new DS game here is usually $40.

Totally worth it though.

12. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    The DSTwo I own, it's the best.

13. inuyasha555

inuyasha555 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Canada
    I also vouch for the DSTWO, its an amazing piece of hardware. It works on the 3DS latest firmware and it also features GBA emulation and linkage between the NDS and GBA roms (for things like Pokemon which have extra options if you have a GBA game inserted)

That together with an option that allows you to search for your own cheats on the fly, save at any point in a game and slow it down (never found a use for this), it's amazing.

14. Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Banned
    Aug 27, 2011
    Canada
    Minecrapt
    Or if you really don't want to get a dstwo you can get the r4 gold from r4ids.cn. But no anything else.
    And the 3DS bricking rumors are all bullshit you can put a fucking original r4 in it and let the error screen pop up and nothing will happen.

15. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I seem to recall the AK2i being blocked as of 4.4. the acekard website still has the notice not to update to 4.4 until they release a patch, which never happened.
    also as I remember updating to 4.4 then waiting for the patch until the day it was revealed that Nintendo permablocked it and a new HW revision would be needed to work again.

I wish i would have not updated to 4.4, and eventually all the way to 6.3.
    If I was still on 4.3, I could enjoy my AK2i and get and use a Gateway on the same console.

16. elcravo

elcravo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2013
    Gambia, The

And how would you do that? It was my understanding that you need a console on which the dstwo actually works to update it. Please tell me how this is supposed to work.

17. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    沖縄県
    You're right. It means sometimes the DSTwo when blocked, can still be updated. (doesn't work all the time)

18. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
  19. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    You should name update file with proper name, instert in 3DS and wait for two minutes. 3DS will show an error of course, but the point is that in 2 minutes dstwo will be provided with time and power to update itself behind the scene.

20. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    The DSTwo has it's own CPU and RAM (Comparable to a Dingoo A320) and thus can update itself as long as it has power though it is more risky than updating the regular way. Basically, you rename the update file to dstwoupdateb.dat, start it up, and when the "an error has occured" screen pops up you let it sit there for 5 minutes or so while the cart updates itself.