Hacking Rusty on emulation knowledge, what is safe for playing DS roms?

Moekou Fujiwara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By this point I already bought most of the games for the 3DS games I'm interested in so the primary interest in a flashcard would be for games not localized.

However I recently just found my Acecard 2 filled with DS games. Does it not work since my 3DS is currently updated to the latest official firmware? Do I really need to get the 2i instead? Is it dangerous to even try putting it in? I've been scared to try since I don't want to take any chances since I've heard bricking stories. Getting an itch to finally beat Okamiden after my 2nd DS broke down.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i recomend you DSTWO since it allways get updated up to today... and they are quick to update it... and it had resisted so far...

other r4 clones just get 1-2 updates and nintendo ban them permanently

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Dstwo worked for me fine. It can update itself even when 3DSfirmware is to new to lauch properly as it is, so don't worry.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSTWO is pricey but is gonna be the most worry free solution as of right now, based off of their track record with this card in the past.

Aside from DSi Mode (only the (blocked) CycloDS iEvo has it), this card has more features than any other on the market, so you're going to be able to emulate GBA and SNES games fairly decently with it as well.

Moekou Fujiwara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, it's pricy? How much is it usually? I got my Acecard 2 years ago for under $20 online.

If it costs more than $40-$50, I might be better off just buying some old used DS.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
By this point I already bought most of the games for the 3DS games I'm interested in so the primary interest in a flashcard would be for games not localized.

However I recently just found my Acecard 2 filled with DS games. Does it not work since my 3DS is currently updated to the latest official firmware? Do I really need to get the 2i instead? Is it dangerous to even try putting it in? I've been scared to try since I don't want to take any chances since I've heard bricking stories. Getting an itch to finally beat Okamiden after my 2nd DS broke down.
The AK2 never worked with the DSi or 3DS. It was made before the DSi or 3DS were even out.
The 2i was blocked a few updates back, in 5.0. Same update the Gateway was blocked in, coincidentally.

Oh, it's pricy? How much is it usually? I got my Acecard 2 years ago for under $20 online.

If it costs more than $40-$50, I might be better off just buying some old used DS.
About $35. It's not pricy compared to the likes of CycloDS, in fact I never considered it pricy at all. Here it's less than half the price of a new handheld game, but price doesn't matter anyway when you're getting access to a library of thousands of games.

inuyasha555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also vouch for the DSTWO, its an amazing piece of hardware. It works on the 3DS latest firmware and it also features GBA emulation and linkage between the NDS and GBA roms (for things like Pokemon which have extra options if you have a GBA game inserted)

That together with an option that allows you to search for your own cheats on the fly, save at any point in a game and slow it down (never found a use for this), it's amazing.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Or if you really don't want to get a dstwo you can get the r4 gold from r4ids.cn. But no anything else.
And the 3DS bricking rumors are all bullshit you can put a fucking original r4 in it and let the error screen pop up and nothing will happen.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The AK2 never worked with the DSi or 3DS. It was made before the DSi or 3DS were even out.
The 2i was blocked a few updates back, in 5.0. Same update the Gateway was blocked in, coincidentally

I seem to recall the AK2i being blocked as of 4.4. the acekard website still has the notice not to update to 4.4 until they release a patch, which never happened.
also as I remember updating to 4.4 then waiting for the patch until the day it was revealed that Nintendo permablocked it and a new HW revision would be needed to work again.

I wish i would have not updated to 4.4, and eventually all the way to 6.3.
If I was still on 4.3, I could enjoy my AK2i and get and use a Gateway on the same console.

elcravo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It can update itself even when 3DSfirmware is to new to lauch properly as it is

And how would you do that? It was my understanding that you need a console on which the dstwo actually works to update it. Please tell me how this is supposed to work.

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And how would you do that? It was my understanding that you need a console on which the dstwo actually works to update it. Please tell me how this is supposed to work.
You're right. It means sometimes the DSTwo when blocked, can still be updated. (doesn't work all the time)

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

You should name update file with proper name, instert in 3DS and wait for two minutes. 3DS will show an error of course, but the point is that in 2 minutes dstwo will be provided with time and power to update itself behind the scene.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

The DSTwo has it's own CPU and RAM (Comparable to a Dingoo A320) and thus can update itself as long as it has power though it is more risky than updating the regular way. Basically, you rename the update file to dstwoupdateb.dat, start it up, and when the "an error has occured" screen pops up you let it sit there for 5 minutes or so while the cart updates itself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1