Hacking Running Fusée Gelée through a Teensy 3.6

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've been suggested on Reddit that a Teensy could work to run Fusée Gelée. I made some research and it looks like the Teensy 3.6 can have USB host support using this cable.

This library is a complete re-implementation of the USB protocol. It could be used as a base to make a Fusée Gelée launcher - I checked the code and everything needed is there. As we control everything that goes through the USB port here (remember, everything is re-implemented in the library), there will be no compatibility issues. The Teensy has enough memory to store both payloads (the one you want to run and the intermezzo payload).

The only drawback is that a Teensy 3.6 is not cheap, as it costs approximatively $40 (at least from France). I guess that in the end, somebody will sell a standalone Fusée launcher for less money than that anyway (or even a DIY kit using something else than a Teensy).

But I am curious - I wonder if somebody on this forum own a Teensy 3.6 and have programming knowledge to try this ? All is needed is to embed the payloads in a Teensy program and then use the USBHost_t36 library to port this script. It could be needed to use fusee-launcher.py to generate the payload beforehand if the memory is short on the Teensy.

natinusala

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Curious to see if it can also be done with an arduino uno or something.

There is a USB Host Shield available for a lot of Arduinos but it's more complicated to use, it costs $24 and the library may not contain what we need for fusée gelée. The Teensy 3.6 is the best value for money, however I find $40 quite expensive, especially since a Raspberry Pi Zero can do the same.

tecfreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Curious to see if it can also be done with an arduino uno or something.
It probably can't be done because of the missing usb host capability. But there are some usb host shield boards for the uno and due that may do the job. But still, i think you want the device to be as small as possible. A custom stm32 board with an usb-c connector would be awesome.

natinusala

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It probably can't be done because of the missing usb host capability. But there are some usb host shield boards for the uno and due that may do the job. But still, i think you want the device to be as small as possible. A custom stm32 board with an usb-c connector would be awesome.

The Raspberry Pi Zero is a good candidate, it's cheap and somebody has already wrote something to run fusée gelée with it. I don't know how it's powered however, might need an external battery (regardless of the device used actually).

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The Raspberry Pi Zero is a good candidate, it's cheap and somebody has already wrote something to run fusée gelée with it. I don't know how it's powered however, might need an external battery (regardless of the device used actually).

How is the TX device pulling power ? From the switch itself it would appear ? Something the adruino and the teensy could achieve . I am not skilled enough to take this on . IT wont be long before some USB guru comes up with it i would imagine.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
it has a USB port so my first presumption was that it might have a small battery inside. But that could be wrong especially concerning the price... Maybe thats only their update channel (and for some reason they cant use usb out).

Reactions: DaveLister

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
it has a USB port so my first presumption was that it might have a small battery inside. But that could be wrong especially concerning the price... Maybe thats only their update channel (and for some reason they cant use usb out).

The sample code sets seem to imply time waits are available for device initialization, and download execute scripts already built , i have no idea though would this need to be more linux friendly in terms of deploy and execute .

T-Error

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is an official Android distro for the rPi zero so I guess you could simply use the apk someone wrote for android phones.

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
There is an official Android distro for the rPi zero so I guess you could simply use the apk someone wrote for android phones.
I found that I think it was for the Pi III though needs XHCI support as well right ? @USB 3.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sitting here pondering to buy adruino . teensy usb3.6 or Pi zero , going full dig dug on the pi Zero offering thanks for the tip @T-Error. Just wan to have one on hand just in case lols.

Last edited by DaveLister,

T-Error

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I found that I think it was for the Pi III though needs XCHI support as well right ? @USB 3.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sitting here pondering to buy adruino . teensy usb3.2 or Pi zero , going full dig dug on the pi Zero offering thanks for the tip @T-Error. Just wan to have one on hand just in case lols.
Your right there only is a distro for rPi3(remembered that wrong) and some do say that the zero is to weak to get an up to date android running. But who needs android when you got linux. I'm not sure about XHCI support with the zero.

Last edited by T-Error,

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in the day before CFW on the ps3 A teensy was used to run A payload. I still have mine. So I don't see why something else couldn't do the same here. Just not the teensy I'm talking about it's probably not what'll get the job done but no external power was needed for that. But with two payloads needing to be run that'll get A little more complicated. It was about $20USD shipped back in the day.

Last edited by link42586,

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Back in the day before CFW on the ps3 A teensy was used to run A payload. I still have mine. So I don't see why something else couldn't do the same here. Just not the teensy I'm talking about it's probably not what'll get the job done but no external power was needed for that. But with two payloads needing to be run that'll get A little more complicated. It was about $20USD shipped back in the day.
USB 3 and XHCI is your only road block i would guess on the older model.

Last edited by DaveLister,

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB 3 and XCHI is your only road block i would guess on the older model.
Yeah it's oldschool but it worked then. Same concept now but needs to be updated. I would say this idea is 100% possible and i'm sure this will happen at some point. But won't we be getting coldboot at some point? Without RCM (software) & need of pc?

Last edited by link42586,

T-Error

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Back in the day I used my android phone to hack the PS3. ;)

SilverfalconLP

Trophies
XP
Country
Im made .IMG for Raspberry Pi 3 whit autolaunch fusee-launcher on boot and hotspot for if i need change payload whit shh on movile ,i have idea make mini powerbank whit pi zero bit for the moment work ok pi3+powerbank

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Im made .IMG for Raspberry Pi 3 whit autolaunch fusee-launcher on boot and hotspot for if i need change payload whit shh on movile ,i have idea make mini powerbank whit pi zero bit for the moment work ok pi3+powerbank
Both devices i have ...........
Was looking at trying to achieve a less clunky operation , still would be interested in playing with it .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-