1. BrittanyOfKoppai

OP BrittanyOfKoppai Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm a bit new around here, but I'm not new to homebrew. I've been on the fence about whether or not I should install fastboot3DS for a while, and I had a couple questions I'd like answered before I install it.

1. Can I still run Luma3DS without my SD card in once installed?

2. Can I safely update Luma3DS using lumaupdate once installed?

Answers are greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Yes and Yes - I did this recently

3. BrittanyOfKoppai

Newcomer

United States
    Great! Thanks for the quick reply! :yay3ds:

peteruk likes this.
  4. BaamAlex

BaamAlex S̶̥͝l̷̹̀͗e̶̼̖̩̅͊e̷̛̦͉̦p̷̘͌͝i̵͇̠̞̿̌n̷̰͚͌̓͝g̷̦̲̍̆͝

Germany
    But fastboot3ds has nothing to do with luma.

5. BrittanyOfKoppai

Newcomer

United States
    Well, it does boot luma, I was just inquiring if it booted luma correctly

6. dwain12435

dwain12435 GBAtemp's Unofficial EarthBound Maniac

United States
    Luma will work without an SD Card inserted as long as the SD Card's "boot.firm" file has been copied to the NAND, and the SD Card's "luma" folder has been copied to NAND:/rw.
    If you're using a decent guide, then this should automatically be done by a script.

Last edited by dwain12435, Sep 14, 2020
  7. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Is there some reason in particular you are looking at fastboot3DS instead of boot9strap?

fastboot3DS does not seem to be as popular and you are more likely to have difficulty finding a solution if you unexpectedly run into problems, I think.

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Fastboot3DS seems to be the most modern option, with more features, and there don't seem to be many known issues with it. Seems like the obvious choice to me.

fmkid and peteruk like this.
  9. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    +1

I'm also a happy Fastboot convert, it's great for having multiple firm's to select on power on

Only problem I had was a minor one with Version 1.2 which had some sort of screen init bug which wouldn't chain load openagb firm correctly, but replacing it with the very latest dev build cured that issue

fmkid likes this.
  10. BrittanyOfKoppai

Newcomer

United States
    Well, various reasons. I want to get the most out of my 3ds, and I’m actually planning on getting into home brew development sooner or later, and I’ve heard fastboot 3ds can streamline that process

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That is another reason I’m using fastboot3ds, actually

peteruk likes this.
  11. dwain12435

dwain12435 GBAtemp's Unofficial EarthBound Maniac

United States
    Can't you do this with boot9strap and Luma3DS chainloader?

12. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Yes

13. Nintendo Maniac

Nintendo Maniac GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Apologies for grave-digging this thread, but I'm finding that, after installing fastboot3ds, I effectively can't run luma3ds CFW without the SD card being present...or rather, it's possible but way less convenient than it was with boot9strap.

To clarify, when no button is held during boot-up, you will load the luma3ds CFW regardless of whether you're using boot9strap without SD card, boot9strap with SD card, or fastboot3ds with SD card.

However, with fastboot3ds installed and the SD card removed, when no button is held during boot-up the console will instead boot directly into fastboot3ds. This is undesirable behavior for me and I'd love to instead have it boot into luma3ds CFW.

I'm just going to quote my post on the subject from the open_agb_firm thread:

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac, Apr 8, 2021
  14. BaamAlex

BaamAlex S̶̥͝l̷̹̀͗e̶̼̖̩̅͊e̷̛̦͉̦p̷̘͌͝i̵͇̠̞̿̌n̷̰͚͌̓͝g̷̦̲̍̆͝

Germany
    A cfw'd 3ds without an sd card makes no sense. So, you need one. Doesn't matter if you use boot9strap or fastboot3ds. I installed it and don't have any problems.

fmkid likes this.
  15. Nintendo Maniac

Nintendo Maniac GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Cartridges and installed DSi ware do not require an SD card, and the SD card requirement makes accessing those more difficult - especially if it's an SD card that is not exclusive to the 3DS.

My plan is to use the same SD card between the console and a PC so that save data for various installed games can be accessed on either platform in a sort of "Super Game Boy" / "Game Boy Player" fashion; but if the SD card is in the PC for whatever reason (perhaps it's creating a backup?) I don't want it to make life difficult to simply use the 3DS like a normal non-softmodded system (which is also how I have my modded DS phat and Wii configured).

EDIT: So it turns out one CAN achieve what I want with fastboot3ds and have identical behavior regardless of when the SD card is present or removed. The confusion is that, when the SD card is present, fastboot3ds settings are saved to the SD card. When the SD card is removed, fastboot3ds settings are saved to the NAND.

It was simply a case of this inconsistent saving behavior throwing me for a loop. So all one has to do is, while the SD card is removed, set the first boot slot to "nand:/boot.firm" and then also change the boot mode to "quiet boot"

The following github issue is what tipped me off: https://github.com/derrekr/fastboot3DS/issues/41

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac, Apr 8, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Fastboot3DS, Running, without