Rune Factory 4 .BIN Editing

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by ristar, Mar 1, 2016.

1. ristar
    OP

ristar Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2012
    United States
    Hey, everyone! I just got started in 3DS romhacking, and I'm poking around in a decrypted rom to edit some specific things. Specifically, I'm trying to find a way to decrypt the .bin files inside the ExtractedRomFS into something that may resemble readable text. Is there any way to do this, or any tool that can give me pointers as to where to look inside these? When I open these files up in Notepad++, it just shows huge blocks of (NUL) characters. I hate to ask such a broad question, but any guidance would help me early on. Any ideas?

2. Newtrat

Newtrat Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    Quebec
    I know I'm late, but me too I'm looking for this. But generally speaking .bin is a generic extension used for thousands of file formats across computing with nothing in particular linking them up, indeed I can well imagine you have dozens of examples of different formats using the extension .bin right there. It could also be that the devs renamed existing files .bin so it might be that one or more of them is a known format but you are going to have to look at them and see.