RunDLL problem.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by EvangelionEX, Dec 27, 2010.

Dec 27, 2010

RunDLL problem. by EvangelionEX at 3:01 PM (400 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. EvangelionEX
    OP

Member EvangelionEX GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Well, when I start up my computer, I found this.

[​IMG]

I went to msconfig>Startup tab and found this...

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what it is but I followed this few steps.

MSCONFIG>Startup>Uncheck the box>OK>Reboot.

Is that harmful or something? I'm really afraid it is...I did a quick scan before this happens. I don't think it detected anything but there is a file it can't be scanned.

[​IMG]

This have never happened before and I'm really afraid now. Is it harmful or something?

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    It should be fine. I can't find anything online about that startup item, so I guess it is not important. Provided no application you use has suddenly stopped working, it is safe to assume it is OK to leave that item disabled.

3. EvangelionEX
    OP

Member EvangelionEX GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Currently, nothing have stopped working for me. I'm panicky because this is my mum's laptop so =.= I can't find anything about that too. I disabled because I'm afraid my parents will chew me up if they saw the popup and blame me for any virus or something. I downloading Avast free version and I'm doing a full scan tomorrow.

I'm just wondering if it's some kind of virus and at worst can destroy the laptop or something.

4. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I doubt its anything to worry about too much. Apparently the DLL doesn't exist on your computer anyway, so even if there was a problem, it'd be more of an issue if there WASN'T a pop up, as that'd mean the DLL was being run without you knowing.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I would argue the opposite- a "randomly" named DLL file found stashed in the application data folders (not a place for executables to be) makes me very hesitant.

Indeed were it not for some developers laughing at the idea of windows having specified directories for things I would be reaching for my USB drive of PC fixing tools.

As SifJar said though it appears to have been removed. While I might be inclined to dig deeper that is probably just personal paranoia talking.

Also mcafee and avast- why both of them? Rather nicely mcafee provide a standalone uninstall tool (those that fix PCs- it is one of those essential USB drive programs) so give it a spin- http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507