Run Gamecube backups from USB Gecko or SD Gecko?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by hankarlo, Nov 17, 2011.

Nov 17, 2011
  1. hankarlo
    OP

Newcomer hankarlo Member

Ireland
    Hi all,
    Is it possible to run gamecube backups from either a USB Gecko or SD Gecko on my Gamecube? If not, whats needed to get them to run? Or is it possible to run them on Wii? Ive read on another forum that I need an original Action Replay disc for it to work on Gamecube but then I read I need a program called usb-boot. I'd really appreciate if any off you guys can give some solid info regarding the above. Thanx for reading.

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    USB-Boot allows you to play backups via usb gecko and a connected PC. SD-Boot allows to play them from sd card. And Swiss is the successor of SD-Boot, and loads the backups from sd card or DVD-Rs(only on gamecubes). Running Swiss on a Wii is easier in my eyes than running it on a gamecube, but it's written and tested only for actual gamecubes. To run it on a Wii, google "Wii Swiss Booter", and install the required cMIOS.

But on how to run it on a gamecube, i don't know, i guess using an original Action Replay disc is only one way and there are others.

3. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Do you know if there are any plans to adapt Swiss to work on a USB Gecko? I imagine it would be just as slow as using USB-Boot since you still wouldn't have USB2.0, but it is interesting.

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    It was planned, but emu_kidid didn't have time yet to implement it. And since it would still require a PC and as slow or slower than reading from sd card, i don't really care anyways.

5. JoostinOnline

United States
    Why would it require a PC? I don't know how Swiss works, so forgive my ignorance on the matter.

6. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    It would require a PC because USB Gecko isn't a USB host device, it's a slave device. You need a host device to be connected to it to make use of it i.e. a PC.

7. JoostinOnline

United States
    Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks.