heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
We try not to deal too much in rumors here at the Canada Nintendo Examiner, so we were a little slow to run this. But between a slow week, a few people tipping us off, and a little of our own investigation, we have decided to to go ahead and run this. Just be sure to pay close attention, so you can separate the facts from the fiction.

GamingBits reports (via Nintendo 3DS Blog) that they received an anonymous tip which says that our local GameStop and EB Games stores across Canada are now taking pre-orders for Nintendo's upcoming handheld system, the 3DS. This does not come as a huge surprise, as GameStop is often known for adding items to their system for pre-order well in advance, sometimes before something is even officially announced.

That said, there is an accompanying image with the story, which you can see at left. Purportedly from one of GameStop Canada's computers, it shows a release date of Sunday, March 20th, 2011, and a price of $299.99 CAD. For those wondering, there is no indication of specific colors (Cosmo Black, Aqua Blue, or anything else) for the pre-order.

We just gave our local EB Games store a call, and they confirmed that they are indeed taking pre-orders for the system, and that the above details are correct... for what is in their computer system, at any rate. Since Nintendo has not made any official announcements regarding the specific release date or the North American price for the unit, and it seems that the price was determined by converting the retail price announced for the Japanese release, these details are subject to change.

So, to recap: EB Games/GameStop Canada stores are taking pre-orders for the Nintendo 3DS, with $25 required to reserve yours. However, the price and release date are not finalized, and could still change.

That said, there is no time like the present to start saving and putting some money down on the handheld of the future. You'll probably want something to play on the system, too, which is why it's a good thing that EB Games/GameStop are taking pre-orders for Kid Icarus Uprising, too.

But what's funny about that is that the release is shown as March 1st... 19 days before the platform it would be playable on is available. All the more reason not to take the release dates and prices seriously for now.

http://www.examiner.com/canada-nintendo-in...or-nintendo-3ds

Kool? fuck yeah now I just need the UK stores whatever to start taking pre-orders!
rofl.gif

Price is obviously not set, so it could be anything...

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
TM2-Megatron said:
Hopefully the price isn't accurate; that's nearly $340 after taxes in Canada; and if the 3DS breaks $300 by even $1 (as a matter of principle) I intend to wait until there's a significant price drop.
you think that's bad the dsi here to buy is $250 so i expect the 3ds to be double that!

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
TM2-Megatron said:
Yes, but North American prices are traditionally less than a straight conversion of the Yen price. Australia and Europe get ripped off, for sure (something to take up with your branches of Nintendo and your retailers); but we don't.
it's not the retailers, i've seen the prices that we them in for at work
it's nintendo of australia being dicks

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
monkat said:
mercluke said:
it's nintendo of australia being dicks

Don't forget taxes
happy.gif

It isn't the taxes I begrudge, personally; those actually pay for things (most of the time) that I consider worthwhile to society, and it's up to us to keep the government in check when spending them. My main issue with retailers in Canada (not nearly as bad as AUS or EUR) is that they don't price things taking the current exchange rate into consideration; and they haven't for a long time, now. If this $300 CDN price tag actually were accurate, I'd expect the 3DS to retail in the US for around $265 or $270 USD, despite the actual conversion from $300 CDN being around $294 USD right now.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
TM2-Megatron said:
Hopefully the price isn't accurate; that's nearly $340 after taxes in Canada; and if the 3DS breaks $300 by even $1 (as a matter of principle) I intend to wait until there's a significant price drop.
you think that's bad the dsi here to buy is $250 so i expect the 3ds to be double that!
I've started to see the price drop to about $200 for Christmas.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
Yes, but North American prices are traditionally less than a straight conversion of the Yen price. Australia and Europe get ripped off, for sure (something to take up with your branches of Nintendo and your retailers); but we don't.
Not true when Wii came out. Wii came out as $249.99 in NA, but approx $215 in JP at that time of exchange rate.

Given the high price, I will pursue a PS2 and another DSi XL and wait for 3DS price drop or revision model.

D

Deleted_171835

Horrible price but that's just a placeholder.
If the 3DS does turn out to cost $300, I won't be purchasing it until they lower the price.

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
Horrible price but that's just a placeholder.
If the 3DS does turn out to cost $300, I won't be purchasing it until they lower the price.
Yeah. Even with 5% taxes, it's still a poor price.

You know what? If the 3DS is the best system compared to GBA and DS, why not call this site 3DStemp? But, of course, it's not temporary any more, it's permanent. So, replace temp with perm and we get 3DSperm. Welcome to 3DSperm!

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SOS-Rens said:
Hmm
299.00 CAD = 221.172 EUR
would be Nice WHAT I mean it IS nice
biggrin.gif

I actually expected 300 EUR but this is even better ^^
.... I hope the Rumor is a Fact
I hope it isn't. Because Nintendo wants $$$ and they'll jack up prices for all countries that have (or have had) a monarchy government. It means that Japan gets the best price, while Canada and the States have it $300, Europe (majority) 250Euros, Australia $400, and Russia for 6,000 rubles.

KuRensan

aka Pearbook
Trophies
Website
intheseaofclouds.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Knyaz Vladimir said:
SOS-Rens said:
Hmm
299.00 CAD = 221.172 EUR
would be Nice WHAT I mean it IS nice
biggrin.gif

I actually expected 300 EUR but this is even better ^^
.... I hope the Rumor is a Fact
I hope it isn't. Because Nintendo wants $$$ and they'll jack up prices for all countries that have (or have had) a monarchy government. It means that Japan gets the best price, while Canada and the States have it $300, Europe (majority) 250Euros, Australia $400, and Russia for 6,000 rubles.

pff why doesn't takes the whole world one sort of coin and one language, games would be much cheaper if they didn't had to be translated all the time-_-

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...