RUMOR - PlayStation 4: Sony “confident” of pre-Xbox 720 release

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess Sony learned the power of launching ahead of your competitors from the 360 last time. I would have figured that Microsoft would remember that too, but if this is true, maybe not...

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Oh no, is Sony planning to pull a Wii U with PS4-Vita connectivity?

It won't work. The secret to a successful gimmick is not making it sold separately. Developers don't want to build their games around a function that only a small fraction of the market can take advantage of.
It'll probably just be an optional feature, like they've always done in the past. It's not exactly going to be like the Wii-U is doing.
That's the thing. Vita-PS4 connectivity will not be able to challenge the Wii U in the same way. Just as the Move was unable to counter the Wii. If they want it to be anything more than a curiosity, it needs to come in the box with the system.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well...

24 cores seem TOO MUCH for a gaming console.
24 cores can drive up the price a lot.
Is Sony going to include internal memory?

These are the questions wandering in my head after looking at the article, but as of now I'll take this news lightly.

But Vita X PS4, yup I see that coming.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God dammit. Who gives a shit about 24 core if its just going to have the same shit I can grab on PC off steam for like 1/2 the price. Sony better be doing something original with the PS4. Hell I would settle for them doing the same exact thing as the WiiU. I'm just sick of all the fucking hardware improvements that devs are just using to make shit look better.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

It won't work. The secret to a successful gimmick is not making it sold separately. Developers don't want to build their games around a function that only a small fraction of the market can take advantage of.
It'll probably just be an optional feature, like they've always done in the past. It's not exactly going to be like the Wii-U is doing.
That's the thing. Vita-PS4 connectivity will not be able to challenge the Wii U in the same way. Just as the Move was unable to counter the Wii. If they want it to be anything more than a curiosity, it needs to come in the box with the system.
The connectivity between the Vita and the PS3/4 is far more then the WiiU+WiiU Tablet or the WiiU+3DS could ever offer - think of the Transfarring-like systems, Remote Play via Internet, sharing Minis and so-on and so forth.

With the WiiU, the tablet is the integral part of the experience. With the PS3/4 and Vita, it's more of an add-on that's not entirely necessary. It's two very distinct and different approaches. Sony clearly wants you to consider buying both but doesn't push you to it - they show the possibilities though.

I haven't seen any 3DS-to-WiiU connectivity material yet, so I'd say that it's Nintendo who's slacking here. It's all fun and dandy to connect to the tablet controller, but the tablet controller *is* a part of the WiiU system. There's nothing that even remotely tries to convince their clients to buy a 3DS+WiiU combo, and they should be trying to endorse that like they did with the limited albeit present GBA-to-Gamecube and Wii-to-DS connectivity.

Well...

24 cores seem TOO MUCH for a gaming console.
24 cores can drive up the price a lot.
Is Sony going to include internal memory?
First you need to know what kind of cores those are, actually. If they're non-complex cores that are there just to enable advanced multi-tasking then it may not rank up the price even by a dime.

Also, I find it improbable that Sony *wouldn't* include internal memory seeing that they have the PSN store with game downloads, don't you think it comes as obvious that the console will have some sort of storage embedded? ;)

1Player

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Also, I find it improbable that Sony *wouldn't* include internal memory seeing that they have the PSN store with game downloads, don't you think it comes as obvious that the console will have some sort of storage embedded?

Nintendo is stupid enough to do it. Just look at the pathetic 512mb for all their wiiware crap and saves.
Thank god for emulated nand.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think after what the 360 did this generation, I'm starting to think the same will happen next generation with the Xbox and the Playstation, because MS seems to know what they're doing and actually bothers sometimes with their customers while Sony is busy counterattacking hackers, removing features and enforcing their shit on people.

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
Also, I find it improbable that Sony *wouldn't* include internal memory seeing that they have the PSN store with game downloads, don't you think it comes as obvious that the console will have some sort of storage embedded? ;)
I don't recall the Vita having internall memory, so this might not either. Chances are that you're right, though.
If there are 24 cores, wouldn't the system overheat?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't recall the Vita having internall memory, so this might not either. Chances are that you're right, though.
The Vita is a portable device while a home console is a home console. All of the lastgen consoles had internal storage, I don't see why Nextgens wouldn't. A Vita game is relatively small compared to a 12Gb beast of a BluRay title - this definatelly isn't something you'd want to keep on an SD card.

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
The Vita is a portable device while a home console is a home console. All of the lastgen consoles had internal storage, I don't see why Nextgens wouldn't.
All I was trying to say was that I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Besides, PSN games aren't that large, are they?

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Vita is a portable device
also the 3ds

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
also the 3ds
Hello. I see that you mention the 3DS. Do note the title of this thread - nobody's interested in it here, we're discussing the PS4's release date and presumed specs. Just thought I should point that out.

The Vita is a portable device while a home console is a home console. All of the lastgen consoles had internal storage, I don't see why Nextgens wouldn't.
All I was trying to say was that I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Besides, PSN games aren't that large, are they?
They're the exact same size as their on-a-disc comerades, aka, quite large.

D

Deleted User

I'm tired of these mother fucking rumors, on my mother fucking internet.

04-samuel-l-jackson.jpg

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
also the 3ds
Hello. I see that you mention the 3DS. Do note the title of this thread - nobody's interested in it here, we're discussing the PS4's release date and presumed specs. Just thought I should point that out.

The Vita has as much relevance in this thread as the you-know-what. Just saying.

edited because it was needed

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
also the 3ds

The Vita has as much relevance in this thread as the you-know-what. Just saying.

edited because it was needed
This is why I am doing my best to push both portables of the radar - they're portables and shouldn't be of any relevance in a thread about home consoles. You've misinterpreted my intentions. ^^;

To further defuse the situation: ...uhm... as relevant as Voldemort? :tpi:

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Like the wonderboy? :P

No really though, it's true. That is why people hail Nintendo's sensor controls on the Wii (Not me personally) and seem to love the 3D effect on the 3DS. Nintendo seems to be good at pulling gimicks out for their consoles that work for the most-part, but the ones like ROB & the gun/mouse attachment for SNES were sold seperately. We never owned a superscope D:

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
Point taken. Still think it's a bad part decision Sony's side to take memory away from it.
I thought it had no internal storage for downloads, you just get a free SD card with the system so it's not like it's a big deal or anything.
It has internal memory, which is used for DSiware downloads and photographs (they're usually saved on the SD Card though). There isn't much use for it otherwise.
In any case, providing tat Sony really assumed that it would release before Microsoft's next console, it hardly means anything. The only things that could be deduced is that it has an expected release of before 2015. It's not like Microsoft told Sonythe approximate release date of their next console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1