Rasas

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Next PlayStation is Called Orbis, Sources Say. Here are the Details..

said:
While the official reveal of Sony's next home console could still be months away, if not longer, Kotaku has today learned some important details concerning the PlayStation 3's successor.

For one, the console's name—or at least its codename/working title—is apparently Orbis. And it's being planned for release in time for the 2013 holiday season.

The details in this story come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publicly about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with us before. What they're telling us in specifics matches much of what we've heard and reported in generalities in recent weeks.

A Sony spokesperson declined to comment about these details, citing the company's policy not to comment on "rumors or speculation."

icon11.gif
Source

This is bad no used games rumor again and so many other problems.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There needs to be a rumors board...
It's called General Gaming Discussions.

This is one great bit of news. Now we know the PS4 is possibly called the Orbis. I wonder what would happen if I stated a rumor with "insider knowledge" that the next 360 is called a hummingbird. /thread.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, the circle of life.

Its likely the codename. The development kit sites have a link with orbis in its name, but it goes to the same place as the ps3 and vita links take you to.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So I've read the article even though I know it's all made up, but I feel like some things are worth pointing out.

Our main source supplied some basic specs for the console, but as the future is always in motion, bear in mind these could easily change between now and the Orbis' retail release. Still, if you'd like to know what developers are being told to plan for now, here you go.

- AMD x64 CPU
- AMD Southern Islands GPU

Absolutely *retarded* choice, even for a rumour. XBox had fun with x86 earlier and how did it end up? Ah, right - as the second most hacked console in the universe. Using a PC CPU in a console is not the brightest of ideas. Moreover, why would you want a do-it-all CPU in a device made specifically for multimedia purposes? Not once did Sony use the x86/x64 architecture in their entire history, why would they change that now? Surely the PS4 will be designed to share a development kit similar to that of the PS3 and the Vita to be as compatible as possible. All things considered, I expect a PowerPC/Cell processor... because they're basically made for consoles. As for the GPU, I have nothing to say, but I find it a weird choice aswell. Sony is known for using proprietary GPU's in most of their hardware - this would be something new in their repertoire... but it's more probable then using an x64 CPU. :lol:

Remember how the PlayStation 3 swiftly dropped the ability to play PS2 games? Well, our main source tell us the Orbis won't even bother, and that Sony has no plans to offer backwards compatibility for its existing catalogue of PS3 games.

...definitely. :lol: Provided they will use a Cell CPU, and they most certainly will, I predict full compatibility with PS3 titles. The problem with PS2 backwards compatibility was a matter of differences between architectures, among other things. I doubt that the same problem will be carried over. Adding to that, they've JUST released the Vita which is "connectible" with certain PS3 titles - it's more then likely that Sony would want to preserve that connectivity.

SO LONG, USED GAMES

Shut up already, that ain't gonna happen. Neither with the PS3 nor with the XBox 360.

Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline, though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a PSN account and be online to even get the thing started.

Y'know, because Sony really doesn't like the money from people who have slow internet and really can't be bothered to connect their console or people who don't have a connection at all. Their money is dirty. We've been through this when somebody came up with the bright idea of adding serial numbers to PS3 games - it's not a good idea, it will not work and nobody's going to implement it, and that's that.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
yeah right $ony are too stupid to come up with another name it will be called ps4 :P
No, they'll call it PS4 because it's the natural follow-up to the PS3 considering PS1, PS2 and PS3. In fact, PlayStation is permanently embedded in the names of their consoles - PS1, PSOne, PS2, PSP, PS-X, PS3 and now surely PS... something. More then likely 4, but Orbis could as well be the nickname. It's better then the mess Nintendo is presenting:

Nintendo Entertainment System --> Super Nintendo Entertainment System --> Nintendo 64 (why?) --> Gamecube (why?) --> Wii (why?) --> WiiU (you remembered how to name things correctly, my goodness!)

They were consistent throughout the "Boy" line of Game Boys and the Virtual Boy, consistent throughout the line of DS products, why they weren't consistent with names of home consoles is beyond me.

...but then again, it's just semantics. The name is the least important part of it to me - as long as it's designed to set the bar for others, and set it high at that, I'll be satisfied.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo Entertainment System --> Super Nintendo Entertainment System --> Nintendo 64 (why?) --> Gamecube (why?) --> Wii (why?) --> WiiU (you remembered how to name things correctly, my goodness!)

I thought the N64 was called that because it was 64-bit or something. I'm not too sure though.

The Gamecube was called that because it was a CUBE that played GAMES. MAKES TOTAL SENSE AND IT'S SO CREATIVE.

The Wii was called that I'm assuming because it encouraged casual gamers accessibility and togetherness through forcing local multiplayer since the online was shit great family games and gimmicks that weren't actually fun motion controls.

The Wii U is just a dumb name. "Wii", meaning "We" means togetherness or accessibility. "U" meaning "You" means it's centered around you and tailored for you specifically. So saying "the Wii U" is like calling something the "Black White" or the "Democratic Republican".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hello everyone