Rumble stops working in M&L Superstar Saga

Rebusmind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm using the rumble hack of Superstar Saga together with an EZ Flash Omega DE and I've noticed that the rumble has stopped working. When I enable that function in the main menu of the game it works, but when I load my save it doesn't rumble anymore. I have no idea if the hack is bugged or if this is a problem with the flash card.

Has anyone else experienced something like this and knows a solution?

djedditt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That sounds odd, can you share the save file with me? I'll see if I can debug it (I wrote the cartridge rumble patch for ML:SS).

Edit: Can you also specify which version of the ROM and patch you used?

Last edited by djedditt,

Rebusmind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That sounds odd, can you share the save file with me? I'll see if I can debug it (I wrote the cartridge rumble patch for ML:SS).

Hi, this might be a non-issue after all, as I was thinking that things like attacks in battle would also rumble, but that doesn't seem to be the case. After playing for a few hours, the rumble does seem consistent (destroying rocks and cutscenes use it mostly).
So I think this can be closed / deleted.

djedditt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes unfortunately attacks in battle are not associated with rumble. All rumble using this patch however is identical to the behaviour you'd see on a Game Boy Player/GameCube.

The main purpose of the patch was to add support for the original rumble behaviour but on cartridge. I might do a separate version with additional rumble triggers where you would expect them.

Rebusmind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My pleasure! I created similar patches for Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3. and Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire in case you're interested.
I've played the Pokemon patch and love it. Feels great to play! 😊

I wonder if you are interested in doing the rumble patch for Rhythm Tengoku? This is highly anticipated in the fan community.
That would be great, but I think this would need completely new rumble instructions, right? (instead of re-routing the existing ones to use GBA rumble)

djedditt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wonder if you are interested in doing the rumble patch for Rhythm Tengoku? This is highly anticipated in the fan community.

Yes, sounds like a great idea! Never thought of that.

I've played the Pokemon patch and love it. Feels great to play! 😊

That would be great, but I think this would need completely new rumble instructions, right? (instead of re-routing the existing ones to use GBA rumble)

Correct, it would be up to the patch author to decide where and for how long to inject rumble. I'd say that's more of a creative challenge than a technical one 😄

Reactions: Rebusmind

Rebusmind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, sounds like a great idea! Never thought of that.

Correct, it would be up to the patch author to decide where and for how long to inject rumble. I'd say that's more of a creative challenge than a technical one 😄
Makes me wish I wasn't such a dummy when it comes to coding, as there are many games that would benefit from rumble (fighting games like Street Fighter Alpha 3, action-rpgs like Sword of Mana, platformers like Wario Land 4, etc.)
I assume a simple how-to guide wouldn't really be enough to do something like this, right? 😅

djedditt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wario Land 4 is high on my to-do list as it's one of my favourite games!

About a how-to guide, it depends. EZ-Flash did share a rudimentary guide to add rumble pulses. Part of that guide is incorrect however, which I pointed out here when someone ran into trouble using that approach. There's also a risk of introducing game breaking bugs if you don't fully understand how or why things work the way they do. Here's an example of that, and I tried to explain why it broke the game and how to properly fix it.

But don't let that deter you - if it sounds a like a fun and rewarding challenge to you then just dive into it. By putting the info above together you should be better equipped already. I'd also be happy to give pointers if you run into issues.

My rumble patches are written from scratch and don't use code from EZ-Flash's guide, because they are more involved/elaborate than just triggering a rumble pulse and to guarantee compatibility with other rumble flash carts.

jdsteel7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So YOU'RE the one responsible for the amazing Pokemon Pinball/SMA3/Mario and Luigi Rumble hacks! Thank you so much, I wish I could shake your hand, the work that you've done is incredible. I just got my EZ flash Omega DE and I'm having a total kick with the rumble feature, I'm actually loving it way more than I thought I would. If only Nintendo had incorporated it into more games, that would have been so great.
BTW if you happen to have any time on working on any more rumble patches and need help.... I don't have coding experience, but I'm happy to playtest and/or offer any feedback for when/where/how much rumble should be applied for given games. Probably not overly helpful, but I'd be happy to support the work you are doing any way I can :)

Reactions: Takokeshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol