Gaming rpg games

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah okay, there will probably be an undub made of BRSTG after it'll be released anyway, atleast I hope. I'm used to a Japanese BRS anyway (been watching the anime and OVA)

I hope GKH doesn't since there isn't alot of voices, mostly grunts and small lines in Japanese.

...What is this obsession with undubs? Undubs are only preferred if you actually understand spoken Japanese or the English voice acting is some horrendous that you'd rather listen to white noise when you read subtitles. Just throwing that out there.

Also FF Type-0 is getting localized (apparently), IDK if that was mentioned yet (tl;dr)
I've always liked the original Japanese voices. When a game has the option to switch between English and Japanese, I always choose Japanese, guess it's just a personal preference thing.
Also its easier to tolerate horrible voice acting in a language you don't understand plus if a game was meant to have English wait thats the wrong word American voices then it would have it in the beginning when in development in Japan or whatever country it was made in if it doesn't then its not meant to.

I don't want a game that is meant to be voiced in English to be voiced in Japanese and vis versa but somehow companies don't get that which is why undubs are made, if you don't like undubs then don't play them. No one is forcing you to like it.

Reactions: 1 person

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
  • Half-Minute Hero - Not a traditional RPG by any means, but an RPG.
  • Star Ocean: First Departure - A remake of Star Ocean (SNES).
  • Tales of Eternia - A port of Tales of Eternia. Europe/Japan only.
  • Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Stereotypical Tales of the World dungeon crawler.
  • Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Sequel to Radiant Mythology. Japan only.
  • Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Sequel to Radiant Mythology 2. Japan only.
  • Persona - Enhanced remake of Revelations: Persona.
  • Persona 2: Innocent Sin - Enhanced remake of Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Sequel to Persona.
  • Persona 3 Portable - An enhanced port of Persona 3.
  • Final Fantasy IV - Playstation port of Final Fantasy IV. PSOne Classic.
  • Final Fantasy VII - The stereotypical RPG with emo babies. PSOne Classic.
  • Final Fantasy VIII - The other stereotypical RPG with emo babies. PSOne Classic.
  • Chrono Trigger - Playstation port of Chrono Trigger. PSOne Classic.
  • Chrono Cross - Sequel to Chrono Trigger. PSOne Classic.
That's all I can think of at the moment.

BlazeV

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah okay, there will probably be an undub made of BRSTG after it'll be released anyway, atleast I hope. I'm used to a Japanese BRS anyway (been watching the anime and OVA)

I hope GKH doesn't since there isn't alot of voices, mostly grunts and small lines in Japanese.

...What is this obsession with undubs? Undubs are only preferred if you actually understand spoken Japanese or the English voice acting is some horrendous that you'd rather listen to white noise when you read subtitles. Just throwing that out there.

Also FF Type-0 is getting localized (apparently), IDK if that was mentioned yet (tl;dr)
If you like listen to a game where the same boring american people who claim to be able to voice act do a sub-par job and ruin the game then be my guest but i hate it and thats why i love undubs, whats wrong with not wanting to listen to horrible people who can't voice act ruin a great game that is meant to have japanese voices not american?

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What Did I Do To Deserve This My Lord and all it's sequels (the newest being No More Heroes!) - which isn't really an RPG, but makes fun of RPGs and has some very awesome strategic gameplay.
It's not "No More Heroes", it's "No Heroes Allowed!" :D
I don't know why but I ALWAYS keep mixing those two game names up.. XDD Thanks for the correction! XD

Also:

Grand Knights History is in the air right now, supposedly to be released on the 21st Feb 2012 but it got pushed back w/o a date (TBA). I used to be really hyped up about it but I'm losing interest points as the days goes by.
Wow, can't believe it got pushed back but whatever. Its pretty fun anyway even if your understanding of what to do is limited.
Well, it's not XSEEDs fault that it got pushed back, since Vanillaware is too busy with other stuff (seemingly) to work on getting the translated text in the game, more info about this here: http://xseedgames.com/forums/showthread.php?1268-Release-date-rumor.-March

I don't mind waiting a little, I'm still plenty of interested in this one and I've got no money for another game right now anyway. ^^

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Because we're GBAtemp which means we're all weeaboo [censored]s.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Grand Knights History is in the air right now, supposedly to be released on the 21st Feb 2012 but it got pushed back w/o a date (TBA). I used to be really hyped up about it but I'm losing interest points as the days goes by.
Wow, can't believe it got pushed back but whatever. Its pretty fun anyway even if your understanding of what to do is limited.
Well, it's not XSEEDs fault that it got pushed back, since Vanillaware is too busy with other stuff (seemingly) to work on getting the translated text in the game, more info about this here: http://xseedgames.co...te-rumor.-March

I don't mind waiting a little, I'm still plenty of interested in this one and I've got no money for another game right now anyway. ^^
Ah okay. I don't mind since I got it but it kinda sucks its gonna be delayed since its quite fun to play around with.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
If you like listen to a game where the same boring american people who claim to be able to voice act do a sub-par job and ruin the game then be my guest but i hate it and thats why i love undubs, whats wrong with not wanting to listen to horrible people who can't voice act ruin a great game that is meant to have japanese voices not american?
it's too weeaboo to be asking for undubs for a game that isn't even out yet.

besides, what year are you in. dubs are extremely good now, you're either too ignorant or just plain weeaboo.

Reactions: 2 people

BlazeV

Trophies
XP
Country
it's too weeaboo to be asking for undubs for a game that isn't even out yet.

besides, what year are you in. dubs are extremely good now, you're either too ignorant or just plain weeaboo.
haven't even asked for an undub yet just provided a reason why undubs are made and why they will continue to be made. like people pointed out before me that its easier to tolerate horrible voice acting in a language you don't undersatnd than one you do and its rare to see a japanese to english game that has good voice acting and the only one i can think of is professor layton while all the others just sound shit.

why is it weeaboo to like the original product rather than the dumbed down american localization? if a game was made in america with american voice actors it would be weeaboo to ask for it to be voiced in japanese but no one does that but its somehow weeaboo to want the japanese game to have japanese voices instead of american? lol wtf stupid thinking mate.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
its rare to see a japanese to english game that has good voice acting and the only one i can think of is professor layton while all the others just sound shit.
wow really
the only game i've come across with extremely bad voice acting in the past couple of years is Arc Rise Fantasia, i guess you don't play games much then to call good voice acting 'rare'
why is it weeaboo to like the original product rather than the dumbed down american localization?
Spoiler: It's not 'dumbed' down.
Ask any translator on this board how hard it is to translate Japanese into readable and understandable English.
if a game was made in america with american voice actors it would be weeaboo to ask for it to be voiced in japanese but no one does that but its somehow weeaboo to want the japanese game to have japanese voices instead of american? lol wtf stupid thinking mate.
For someone to go out of their way to get undubs without even hearing the dubs, then yes, it's weeaboo.

BlazeV

Trophies
XP
Country
its rare to see a japanese to english game that has good voice acting and the only one i can think of is professor layton while all the others just sound shit.
wow really
the only game i've come across with extremely bad voice acting in the past couple of years is Arc Rise Fantasia, i guess you don't play games much then to call good voice acting 'rare'
why is it weeaboo to like the original product rather than the dumbed down american localization?
Spoiler: It's not 'dumbed' down.
Ask any translator on this board how hard it is to translate Japanese into readable and understandable English.
if a game was made in america with american voice actors it would be weeaboo to ask for it to be voiced in japanese but no one does that but its somehow weeaboo to want the japanese game to have japanese voices instead of american? lol wtf stupid thinking mate.
For someone to go out of their way to get undubs without even hearing the dubs, then yes, it's weeaboo.
After hearing the ear grating american voice actors, none of them are good to any degree and like i said the worst japanese voice acting is still better than the worst american voice acting cause you don't get to hear how horrible it is.

readable and and understandable is different. i saw a translation take from the original audio which translates to 'what the hell' get localized to 'what is goin on' and how is that translating if the context has been changed?

again if i went out to get the japanese audo for a game like gta what is made in america with american voice actors then i'm a weeaboo but i don't. i like my games to have its original audio and that is far from being a weeaboo, if the original audio of the game is in english then i want it in english, if its in chinese then i want it in chinese, if its in japanese then i want it in japanese there is nothing weeaboo about that its just that i like the original audio, your the only one who says that liking the original audio reguardless of what language the audio is whether it was english, chinese or japanese that it makes you a weeaboo for not liking the american dub of it.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
i saw a translation take from the original audio which translates to 'what the hell' get localized to 'what is goin on'

Where? Can you post a video because on it's own that's not enough context.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
i saw a translation take from the original audio which translates to 'what the hell' get localized to 'what is goin on'

Where? Can you post a video because on it's own that's not enough context.
Somehow I feel that was a general example.

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
wow really
Arc Rise Fantasia's dub certainly was unbearable.. oO while I was able to listen to dubs like Persona 3/4's, Disgaea's and such I clearly preferred the Japanese dub over the US one. But there is lots of games with great English dubs, like Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy 12, 13 & 13-2, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, all Layton Games... I clearly prefer the English dubs, but that's probably related to the fact that besides the dub for FF13(-2) all of them are by British VA studios - which I am wondering about, did the same studio to the dubs for DQ, FF12, Xenoblade and Last Story?

Anyway, I don't think one should rule out the possibility that an English dub might be as good as the Japanese one before the game even got released in English. Sometimes the English dub might even be better than the Japanese dub (and that's definitely the case for FF13, The Last Story and Xenoblade - especially the voices of the heroes of Last Story and Xenoblade suck a lot in Japanese, imo. Can't stand the voice actors. At all. Everyone should be voiced by Koyasu Takehito. What a perfect world that would be... *__* ..... XDD)

I could imagine that Grand Knights History sounds better in Japanese, as games with little voice acting kinda tend to not sound very good in English (probably since there isn't really that much to work with, I imagine if you only have 5 lines to voice there isn't really much of getting into character and all...) but FF Type-0 will surely have an awesome English dub, just like all other FF titles (except for 10.... that was an horrible dub, but Squeenix seems to have learned their lesson ^__^).

And:

readable and and understandable is different. i saw a translation take from the original audio which translates to 'what the hell' get localized to 'what is goin on' and how is that translating if the context has been changed?
Uhm... besides not being foul language anymore, the context could still be the same. As "What the hell?" VERY often is used as a form of "What's going on / What's happening here?" so it very much depends on the game and the general context of the scene - but if publishers localise a game and don't want to get it rated as an 16+/18+ title, I can definitely understand why they would change a line of dialogue like that. So I've gotta say, that example kinda sucks without any more context.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country

Saying "I saw" hints that it's a specific example rather than a general one. Without context it can be acceptable for What the Hell to be changed to What's going on.

Oh, and also not liking a characters VA, and it being a bad dub are two entirely different things.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
I think its weird but I prefer English (should I have said British?) voice acting over american voice acting. Somehow it feels more real and sounds better to me the american one just sounds horrible and forced and corny while the English ones sounds great.

Saying "I saw" hints that it's a specific example rather than a general one. Without context it can be acceptable for What the Hell to be changed to What's going on.

Oh, and also not liking a characters VA, and it being a bad dub are two entirely different things.
I don't disagree but its these small things that usually make or break the dub for me and i'm sure alot of people as well. Its a personal bias that won't be changed anytime soon but that was a script change which then can cause for the most corny lines which then can make it easier to hate the dub.

But people can like what they want and how is that wrong? if you like to eat apples but I like to eat grapes does that make me a idiot or does that just make me someone who likes something different to you?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
But people can like what they want and how is that wrong? if you like to eat apples but I like to eat grapes does that make me a idiot or does that just make me someone who likes something different to you?

Personally i've not raised any objection to people liking or disliking dubs...i just don't like the idea of fabricated examples being used to prove points.

Reactions: 2 people

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country

Personally i've not raised any objection to people liking or disliking dubs...i just don't like the idea of fabricated examples being used to prove points.
Sorry wasn't directed at you but i'll put it out there to begin with since some people i'm sure are too ignorant to be able to accept this as a fact. I would provide an example but i'm too lazy to find it now but i'm sure you know that there are examples of these script changes.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
but i'm sure you know that there are examples of these script changes.

It's funny, but i've actually only had positive experiences of that form of localisation, albeit in Anime rather than gaming. Localisation isn't just a translation which is what people seem to gloss over sometimes. It'd be interesting to actually have some good examples of localisation where the meaning of a scene or the script is changed from what was intended.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
but i'm sure you know that there are examples of these script changes.

It's funny, but i've actually only had positive experiences of that form of localisation, albeit in Anime rather than gaming. Localisation isn't just a translation which is what people seem to gloss over sometimes. It'd be interesting to actually have some good examples of localisation where the meaning of a scene or the script is changed from what was intended.
I actually hate it and hate it alot. Translation and small liberties taken when translating to make it more understandable or easy to read i'm okay with (you have to when fansubbing anyway otherwise you'll struggle to sub it properly) but i'm never happy with localization to me it just ruins the intention meant to be in the original.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Werid went to put my ps5 ssd into my pcs m.2 bay and no detection