Router advice. Asus ac68u ac88u etc

maraxion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So i was hoping for some advice.
Im currently running a decent home network with several older asus n66 and ac66 as media bridges.
I have an older ac68u but are thinking on upgrading. I can get an ac88u fairly cheap.
But is this a nice step up, or are there others i should check?

maraxion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The house is large and id like something with better reach. Tried a few mesh network but not happy with em. Verry happy with asus routers.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While a new router could help the benefit would negligible and the range probably not as far as you would like. You would probably be better off installing some wired access points to extend the range. I know it's not an option for most to run cable through their house but it really is the best option for range extension. Another option would be wireless repeaters.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
While a new router could help the benefit would negligible and the range probably not as far as you would like. You would probably be better off installing some wired access points to extend the range. I know it's not an option for most to run cable through their house but it really is the best option for range extension. Another option would be wireless repeaters.

I had to switch away from having a single WAP years ago because it was unreliable, this included an Asus RT-AC88U and then I tried a single Ubiquiti WAP in the middle of the house.

I switched to BT wholehome MESH but whilst this improved the Wifi around the home it did cause issues e.g. Wifi discovery.

Since I ran ethernet to the other half of the house via the outside walls, I ended up switching to a pair of TP-link WAPs with the Omada software running as a docker image on my server.

So far this has been my most reliable setup.

In OPs case, one option to consider may be powerline adapters, I also know of a set which combines powerline and Wifi extender.

Reactions: fringle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head