Hacking Rosalina menu doesn't appear

redgem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wasn't sure if I am suppose to post this here or under the Noob sections.

I have just used the 3ds.guide and made it up to

Section III - Launching FBI

1. Launch the Download Play application

2. Press (L) + (Down) + (Select) at the same time to open the Rosalina menu

Can't seem to be able to launch Rosalina menu...

I select "Download Play" > open > Press (L) + (Down) + (Select) nothing happens. From there I go down another menu nintendo3DS it searches for games, once that has finished i try the Press (L) + (Down) + (Select) nothing happens.

I am able to go to GodMode9 fine.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is assuming you are doing the 'ntrboot' method:
- First check if you can launch the Rosalina menu at the home menu pressing that (L)+(Down)+(Select) combo.
- If that doesn't work, check if the root of your 3DS SD card has the 'boot.firm' file from 'Luma3DSv9.0.7z' archive and NOT the 'SafeB9SInstaller.firm' renamed as 'boot.firm' from the 'SafeB9SInstaller-20170605-122940.zip' archive.
- If that doesn't fix it, check that 'Luma 3DS v9.0 configuration' will appear when holding the 'Select' button while restarting / powering up the 3DS.
- If that does not appear, something tells you haven't successfully installed 'boot9strap'. This will require more backtracking.

Edit : Since you mentioned that GodMode9 boots up, that should mean boot9strap is working. If you can access 'Luma 3DS v9.0 configuration', see if you have 'Autoboot EmuNAND' [SD card NAND] check. If that isn't checked, you are still running sysNAND [3DS internal NAND] which will not have a copy of Luma3DS at first (until you copy flash over it using 'setup_ctrnand_luma3ds.gm9' script in GodMode9. DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU BACKUP YOUR SYSNAND).

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: redgem

redgem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
SYSNAND is that the sysnand_000.bin that a 1Gb in size?? if so I backed that up already while in god mode.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

- Can't do the combo from the home menu
- Download Luma3DSv9.0.7z and use the boot.firm
- I can get to the menu (thanks) Luma 3DS v9.0 configuration whats it suppose to be on??

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, they will look like these in the 'SDCARD' > 'gm9' > 'out' folder:

######_QW########_sysnand_000.bin
######_QW########_sysnand_000.bin.sha

The 1.2 GB is the actual backup, but you should keep both safe.

You need to go check with GodMode9 that the sysnand backup verifies good.

'NAND image options...' > 'Verify file' .

If it says 'Error: MBR MBR is corrupt' , you need to try it again.

SYSNAND is that the sysnand_000.bin that a 1Gb in size?? if so I backed that up already while in god mode.

- Can't do the combo from the home menu
- Download Luma3DSv9.0.7z and use the boot.firm
- I can get to the menu (thanks) Luma 3DS v9.0 configuration whats it suppose to be on??

(x) Autoboot EmuNAND

Checking this should allow you to launch Rosalina Menu when you get to Home Menu because you are choosing to run the 3DS from the SD card instead of the internal 3DS memory (which doesn't yet have Luma3DS this early in the setup).

redgem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry don't see the NAND image options in Godmode...

my files are ######_CAF########_sysnand_000.bin

(x) Autoboot EmuNAND is selected now - doesn't load from the home menu, download play menu (where it gives me the option to download 3ds or d2 games) or the H&S menu

You are going to kill me.....

I was pressing the left and down on the arrow pad not the Left bumper, down arrow and select.....

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry don't see the NAND image options in Godmode...

my files are ######_CAF########_sysnand_000.bin

(x) Autoboot EmuNAND is selected now - doesn't load from the home menu, download play menu (where it gives me the option to download 3ds or d2 games) or the H&S menu

Under GodMode9, go to [0:] SDCARD > gm9 > out . You should see your files there if you haven't already copied them over your computer and deleted them yet.

Click on '######_CAF########_sysnand_000.bin'.
you should see 'NAND image options...' > 'Verify file' .

If it verifies good, it should say 'NAND validation success'.

----------------------------------------

Once you have (x) Autoboot EmuNAND selected in 'Luma 3DS v9.0 configuration', you should now restart your 3DS.

If you are on home menu and press (L - shoulder button) + (DOWN - D-Pad)* + (Select), this should appear on the bottom screen.
rosalina-1.jpg

http://hirobyte.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/rosalina-1.jpg

You are going to kill me.....

I was pressing the left and down on the arrow pad not the Left bumper, down arrow and select.....

LMAO. I was starting to think by the time I posted that last reply maybe you got it messed up with the joystick. No worries. You can't ever be explicit enough when it comes to these things. Haha.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

redgem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Verify file, all good, able to get to that menu now. Easy once you press the right buttons..

Should I just restart the guide from Section III - Launching FBI skipping the backup part??

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Verify file, all good, able to get to that menu now. Easy once you press the right buttons..

Should I just restart the guide from Section III - Launching FBI skipping the backup part??

As long as you have both

'######_CAF########_sysnand_000.bin'
and
'######_CAF########_sysnand_000.bin.sha'

copied from your 3DS SD card and backed up onto your computer, flash drive, or hard drive, you can move onto Section III - Launching FBI as long as you got Section I - Prep Work covered. If your 3DS firmware was already up to date (11.6-0.39?) when you started, you don't need to do Section II - Updating the System because everything would be at the latest. Alright, good luck and happy homebrewing!

Reactions: redgem

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curious as to why the guide specifically states Download Play. You can use the camera, music, health & safety, etc. It doesn't HAVE to be Download Play.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Curious as to why the guide specifically states Download Play. You can use the camera, music, health & safety, etc. It doesn't HAVE to be Download Play.
Other apps don't have the dame permissions as Download Play and some homebrew apps will not work with other apps having the homebrew launcher injected in them. Whereas Download Play works for all homebrew.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other apps don't have the dame permissions as Download Play and some homebrew apps will not work with other apps having the homebrew launcher injected in them. Whereas Download Play works for all homebrew.

I'm referring to Rosalina, not injecting HBL into another app. :) It's never failed for me using any built in apps.

RexNihil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the closest I've found to the issue I'm experiencing.

I have Luma3ds 9.1 or whatever, everything is up to date. Started using the Cheat Engine in Rosalina, with codes gotten from Sharkive.

My Super Mario Advance 2 VC (I had to create my own CIA) won't open the rosalina menu, and I can find nothing that explains why. Is it because I made the CIA myself?

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Super Mario Advance 2 VC (I had to create my own CIA) won't open the rosalina menu, and I can find nothing that explains why.
GBA VC doesn't work with Rosalina as it reboots into AGB_FIRM (same thing with DS games/DSiWare but with TWL_FIRM instead). Rosalina only affects NATIVE_FIRM, aka the 3DS mode.

RexNihil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBA VC doesn't work with Rosalina as it reboots into AGB_FIRM (same thing with DS games/DSiWare but with TWL_FIRM instead). Rosalina only affects NATIVE_FIRM, aka the 3DS mode.

So it's just the GBA and DS bits that refuse to work with Rosalina, since my GB VC games seem to work fine with it?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So it's just the GBA and DS bits that refuse to work with Rosalina, since my GB VC games seem to work fine with it?
Yes, only DS and GBA reboot into a different firm. Other VC are just emulators running in normal CTR-mode, so Rosalina will work.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What @SCOTT0852 is saying is your 3DS is also part DSi and GBA. All the Virtual Console series (NES / SNES / GB / GBC / GG / PCE|TG16, etc.) are emulated except for the GBA ones. Including 3DS games, your handheld plays GBA and DS games on native hardware with three separate firmwares or modes for each.

Rosalina menu only works on the 3DS mode.

An analogy to what it's like having three modes on a single 3DS system would be like a computer that has Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. You don't typically run software specifically programmed for one operating system on a different one, barring some sort of compatible layer or interpreter (WINE, Linux Bash Shell on Windows).

Reactions: RexNihil and ry755

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse