Roms no longer boot after gateway downgrade

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by cyris995, Jan 22, 2019.

1. cyris995
    OP

cyris995 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    After successfully (at least it seems so) downgrading my 3ds using my gateway, my back up roms are no longer working. Specificly, I can now boot without the browser exploit, but when I get to gateway mode and press the select button no game manager pops up anymore. I've tried adding different roms (though what I had worked pre-downgrade) and every button combination i can think of. I'm running the 3.4.1 ultra. What am I missing and how can I go back to choosing my games?

2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    By installing cfw and updating to 11.9

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

3. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Oh......geeze....check out exploits for 11.9

4. cyris995
    OP

cyris995 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Based on the reactions I shouldnt have even bothered with the downgrade?

x65943 and H1B1Esquire like this.
  5. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Addict

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    Based on what you are asking. You should of checked out the forums alot more to see whats been going on when it comes to gateway.

6. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    U got that right bucko

7. cyris995
    OP

cyris995 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Yeah it sounds like you are right. I've been out of using my 3ds and my gateway for probably 3 years, and I was overwhelmed with the amount of changes and didnt know where to start, so I started with what my next plan had been at the time.

8. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    It's cool.
    So, 11.9 is hackable.
    Theres a 3ds hacking bible that has been linked to you by Shadow#1.
    That's about all.

9. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Gateway 3DS hasn't been updated in a while and is considered abandoned and not worth using anymore.
    Since you already downgraded 4.5.0, you can follow https://3ds.hacks.guide in order to install CFW (even if you were on 11.9 it would've still been possible, but on earlier versions it's easier)

Last edited by zacchi4k, Jan 22, 2019
  10. cyris995
    OP

cyris995 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Well then I'm glad it wasnt a complete waste of time if it will make it easier. Looks like I have a fai bit of reading to do! Thank you everyone for your help!

11. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2018
    United States
    Before you begin, you are going to need to get your system able to run Gateway again, so you can backup your saves. Do you have a game cartridge that you can use to update to a modern firmware? If not, there are other ways.

Last edited by blahblah, Jan 22, 2019
  12. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Maniac

May 28, 2015
    if you dont like reading or risk damage to your system, stargate is a simple plug and play flashcard, works on all systems and firmwares, it brings DS ROM support.

only downfall is that it isnt region free, so your 3DS ROMS have to be the same region as your console, however DS ROMS are region free.

13. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2018
    United States
    Stargate is garbage. It's a Sky 3DS style cartridge emulator. Useless. His system is already tampered with via the (dangerous) Gateway downgrade procedure. There's no avoiding hax at this point.

zacchi4k and TurdPooCharger like this.
  14. cyris995
    OP

cyris995 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    The most recent cartridge I have is super smash brothers

15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's easier to do that once he's all set up with CFW.
    There is no risk.
    When you follow the guide keep your emuNAND as is (don't follow the "move emuNAND" section when it asks you to)
    When you are all set up with CFW you can follow this to get back into Gateway: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/
    And use this to back up your saves to get them ready to be imported to the CIA versions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zf4fkbe8fwen7ee/GWSE.rar?dl=0
    If you still experience the ROM menu issue at that point and can't back up your saves, I can help you with that.
    After all that you can finally ditch Gateway completely.

16. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2018
    United States
    If he updates to 11.9, he'll have one hell of a time getting Gateway to run again. Unless that one guy is still modding Gateway to run on modern firmware. If that one guy isn't still doing it, he'll have to downgrade to an oldish version, boot Gateway, run JKSM and backup each game :|

Won't be super fun, but doable. Your instructions would work. Once he backs up, he should try booting his emuNAND with Luma and, if it works, move that emuNAND to CTR, no?

17. cyris995
    OP

cyris995 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Not that I want to lose my saves, but could I forgo that whole mess if I'm willing to give them up? If I get the cfw set up on the sd card am I good to go from there without the gateway?

18. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2018
    United States
    If you are willing to give them up, things are easier, but it's not really that much of a pain to back them up. It's an extra half hour of work.

19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    He'll only be updating his sysNAND. He might have to do a ctrtransfer anyway if his emuNAND is semibricked. But we'll deal with that when it happens. It's not a hard thing to do, the only issue is finding an 11.2 or older ctrtransfer image.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jan 22, 2019
  20. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2018
    United States
    If he doesn't have any eShop stuff installed, that'd be fine, but unless his emuNAND is trash, it makes sense to move it over in the end, no? At least get rid of it so that it's not wasting SD space.