• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Romney vs. Obama

who will/would you vote for?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 158 76.0%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 50 24.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who finds it funny that this thread is slowly starting to unravel now but we've literally been able to keep it running well right up until the election?

Also I'm not entirely sure this is needed now that the election is done. Maybe change it to a general American politics debate or something. Guild McRepurposing.
Well, people are mad, that all it is too it. :/ I actually agree.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, people are mad, that all it is too it. :/ I actually agree.

Well in all honesty I don't think Romney supporters could honestly believe he'd win. Like no offense but his campaign was dubbed a "rolling calamity" by many people the candidate seemed personally rather unlikeable. I mean the clown car of Republican candidates this year was rather weak and I couldn't see any of them winning.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be honest and say I voted for Obama simply because I couldn't stand the idea of Romney winning. My state finally passed same sex marriage (So did Maine) and Colorado and Washington passed the legalization of weed (creating a interesting conflict between the state government and the national government). Some things I didn't want got passed but I'm quite happy with the turnout all things considered.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody "hates" you for your political views. The way you express them makes all the difference.

Then how should one express these views? In what manner should these be written? I'm not exactly acclimated to writing political posts (again, due to the reactions I see on the internet), I don't know why the hell I do it in the first place. No one can seem to agree on any issue.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then how should one express these views? In what manner should these be written?

With tact and respect for the other side. There's a world of difference between, "I disagree with Democrat policies because..." and "Fuck Democrats and Obama, they don't know shit!" (just using hypothetical examples here).

Is that so difficult?

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I never posted in this bloody thread in the first place. All I did was get more people to hate me for what I said and for my political views.
Have you tried reading your posts?
Its like you are trying to tie people up and force your politics into them because every political view that isnt yours is wrong and there are a gazzilion facts and statistics to prove it. Noone hates you, you're just too damn dramatic and close minded.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With tact and respect for the other side. There's a world of difference between, "I disagree with Democrat policies because..." and "Fuck Democrats and Obama, they don't know shit!" (just using hypothetical examples here).

Is that so difficult?

No, it's not difficult, as I said before, I'm not one to usually join in a debate, but yes, I know it got way too out of hand. So, I will post how I really feel about the current political situation. I don't agree with Obama's handling of the economy and his constant spending, I don't believe for a minute that he will be able to fix the economy, especially if he didn't during the last four years. But hey, maybe this second term will be the charm, maybe it's just time for people like me to be more positive about the whole situation. Jumping down peoples' throats not only is a negative thing to do, it's detrimental to my health and everyone else's, and it makes me look like an idiot. I don't know if I can undo what I've already done, but from here on out, I will attempt to actually back up any claim I made about Obama and the direction this country is headed. I said my piece, I hope we can agree to disagree.

As for his healthcare program, I don't believe it's being handled in the best way it can. Granted, there are no perfect systems, and the one we have no isn't perfect either. I agree that those uninsured should get coverage...in fact, I'm one of those 47,000,000 or so people who don't have any and I have to pay a crapload of money every time I go see a doctor. I agree that people need healthcare, but what I don't agree with it the fact that it should be mandated. If people don't want insurance for one reason or another, they should not be forced or penalized for personal choices they make.

The same could be said of car insurance, if you own a car, insurance is mandatory. That's true, if you have a car, you should get insurance. But then again, no one is forced to own a car, as many cities rely on mass transportation. If no one is forced to own a car, no one should be forced to buy healthcare.

I hope that I at least said something that wasn't giving me the impression of being an overbearing douche this time around :(

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't wish to direct any ill feelings or hatred towards on our current president, as doing so would be asinine. But I will continue to stand for what I believe and what I may or may not agree with.

D

Deleted-185407

@Peps

"Factual claims" can be factually inaccurate... But never mind that now, maybe there's a regional difference in the meaning of words. I should just call them "claims" so there's no misunderstanding of what I meant. "There's a God" and "there's a big bang" are both claims. "_________ is bad for society" is a claim that can be verified and evaluated, and is relevant to policy; it's what you'd call a "social belief", I think.

On your premise of "morality" meaning what you say it means (i.e. something that strictly doesn't involve a society), what role does it play in public policy then? Are you still talking about public policy? Did you ever talk about public policy in connection with "morality"?

Just for the record, are you implicitly saying that the US federal government should not get involved in the slavery issue with the states, 150 years ago? In hindsight and with the knowledge we've gained since then, do you think it would be better if they had not gotten involved? Would you support the federal government's involvement in settling the slavery issue some 150 years ago?

Also for the record, picking up on your human rights comment: suppose the majority of citizens of a state wanted to remove the slaves' human rights, and they're 9:1 in favour of slavery, 9 being the slaveholders and 1 the slaves. This scenario is actually fairly typical of most of the human rights issues. Do you think these issues should be left to the majority to decide?

I don't know how exactly you differentiate "pressure from other states" from "giving up their rights to federal government"... Did the southern states abolish slavery because of "pressure", or because they "gave up their rights"? It seems like they were "pressured into giving up their rights" lol. Call it what you will. The fact that a bad decision should be overturned is something you do agree with, correct? States shouldn't give up their rights, so long as they could be pressured into giving up their rights? Mmkay.

Like I mentioned already, laws are determined by the morality of the citizens in that country/state. Laws are merely there to enforce what people feel so strongly about. Some morals never make it into law, because citizens never feel like it's not necessary to have authorities enforce it. Determining right/wrong will always be a matter of opinion, and not fact. Sure, the majority of stuff we can easily determine, but ultimately it's down to what the citizens feel like. Ireland feels like abortion is disgusting and threatens the right of the child. Other people feel like anti-abortion laws hurt the rights of the mother. Both sides are perfectly logical, so how do we decide what should be the "right" answer? We can't, thus we let the majority of people decide based on their morals to determine what should be the law.

The issues of 150 years ago, are the issues of 150 years ago, and have little to no relevance to modern issues or modern morals. Just because some people made a stupid mistake 150 years ago, or were slow to modernise, doesn't mean you should continue punishing innocent states who are better than that. It's disgusting. It's guilty until proven innocent, and it's highly logical to let the states experiment with their laws and policies so that they can come up with a real solution to the country's problems. You want to promote innovation, and restricting the states abilities to do what they please is not a good idea at all. Give them room, let innovation flourish, and what the federal government should do after that, is promote those good innovation to other states.

How do you determine what a bad decision is these days? In your opinion, it's a bad decision, to the citizens of that country, it's probably a great decision, and if the majority of them are happy with it, then so be it. You're implying that you hate democracy, and you'd rather have a dictatorship. You'd rather a higher up authority determine what's right and wrong, as opposed to letting democracy decide what it wants. Sometimes I want the same thing, sometimes I think it's better to have a single highly logical person to take control over things, rather than letting ill-informed voters voting for the guy who's able to advertise the most. But obviously I respect the right of a citizen to have their voice heard.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was also having the weirdest dreams last night. Like I was dreaming that I read Romney won. I then woke up at around midnight and heard my brother's girlfriend shout "Woohoo!" and her say to my brother "Obama won!" I went back to sleep and dreamed I was reading the newspaper and that Romney won.

Needless to say I was a bit confused and had to check it when I woke up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1