ROMming on a Budget

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Buretsu, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Buretsu
    OP

Buretsu Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2006
    United States
    All right, here's the deal. I want to play DS Roms on my first generation Nintendo DS. I have $100, and no clue about what I'm doing.

Everytime I see what looks like it might be a good deal, it turns out I need to buy lots of other stuff in order to get it to work.

Is there any hope, or should I just say **** it and give up completely?

2. jaguares

jaguares Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2006
    United States
    I say wait a couple of more week until the slot-1 solutions come out, there cheaper and have better functions that are out right now.

3. juggernaut911

juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

Jul 13, 2006
    United States
    DS-X!!!

4. Taras

Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

Dec 10, 2005
    United States
    Boxcar #142, Santa Fe rail
    Consider that new DS games are around USD $30. You're investing just over the price of three. I can barely think of much more than three current games worth flashing. Maybe FF3, New SMB, Castlevania:Portrait. For me it's a wash and not having to screw with pass-me/flash-me/tickle-me ninja-SD suprl33t cards is a plus. GBA flash carts were a different matter, but I can't justify DS.

5. Shinji

Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    City of Delusion
    Off the topic, its all about taste if you can find more than three games that are worth it to you, and if I recall, those three you named cost more than 30 bucks each XD

Back on the topic Buretsu, waiting for Slot-1 would be an option, or you could go for a slot 2-lite option that has a standard gba cart as an option. But you have to answer a few questions to get a meaningful answer on whats important in a flash cart to you. Is playing GBA games important? Homebrew? External memory (ala microSD) or do you prefer internal memory. And of course you'll need a PassMe device (or a TickleMe according to Taras [​IMG]) or if you know someone with one, they can flash your DS for you. Just read up a bit on all this and then you will be a little more educated in making a decision.

6. kalibar

kalibar GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2006
    United States
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    You want a SuperCard Rumble miniSD. They're $35 (plus a miniSD card, but those are cheap off of Newegg), they fit flush into the bottom of the old-style DS, and they've got 99.9% compatibility with DS games.

Score that shit, yo.