Hacking Rominator Database Update info

LordMelkor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know things would be SOOOOO much easier if we were just allowed modify the database ourselves locally, with some simple XML files or something instead of this rubbish .rod stuff.

To be honest I really could not care less about 90% of the entries in that database, so if I could just enter in the information myself for the files I have (after all Rominator is still a really nice tool for keeping things organized, and using auto-trim/ auto-rename, and backing up saves).

I've asked Hank a couple times by email to let us manage the database locally at least on some level, but he always sidesteps and says to watch out for the latest up-and-comming database update.

Mr. Seiko, can't you PLEASE ask him to allow us to modify the database locally ourselves, at least to some limited extent???

Having to wait around for all these fixes that I know have no bearing on me is absolutely maddening.

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I second being able to edit the databases locally. I don't agree with alot of the "genres" listed for games, could easily fill the info out for games I have that aren't in the DB yet, etc.

unicorn7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
LordMelkor, geminisama:

The .ROD file is just a SQLlite database as I see it. Anything that allows you to open a SQL database from a local file should do (e.g.: sqlite-manager). Exporting to .XML should be easy as pie.

Mr.Seiko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
unicorn7 said:
LordMelkor, geminisama:

The .ROD file is just a SQLlite database as I see it. Anything that allows you to open a SQL database from a local file should do (e.g.: sqlite-manager). Exporting to .XML should be easy as pie.

You are correct. The .ROD is just an SQLite Database It is possible to Edit by hand using an Application like that, but what will happen from there, when you launch Rominator, It will check for updates, and a new update will overwrite what you have locally with the current release list online.

LordMelkor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried it, and Rominator doesn't actually overwrite the new file, so it's all good! I just slimmed down the database from 4000 something to 94 (the number of roms I have), and added in an entry for Layton 2. It was able to get the metacritic score and everything!

The entry information for Layton in case anyone is interested is posted below (I got the ID & CRC from cheats.gbatemp.net)
CODEÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂYLTE|LAYTON2|0
ÂÂÂÂLAYTON2
ÂÂÂÂNTR-YLTE-USA
ÂÂÂÂ4121
ÂÂÂÂProfessor Layton and the Diabolical Box
ÂÂÂÂUSA
ÂÂÂÂPuzzle
ÂÂÂÂNintendo
ÂÂÂÂXenophobia
ÂÂÂÂ113292938
ÂÂÂÂE98992CA
ÂÂÂÂ1
ÂÂÂÂGeneral
ÂÂÂÂX
ÂÂÂÂprofessorlaytonandthediabolicalbox
ÂÂ

unicorn7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mr.Seiko said:
You are correct. The .ROD is just an SQLite Database It is possible to Edit by hand using an Application like that, but what will happen from there, when you launch Rominator, It will check for updates, and a new update will overwrite what you have locally with the current release list online.Someone could always
  • turnoff auto updating, or
  • disable internet, or
  • use transparant proxy to reroute the update adres to one of your own, or
  • patch the Rominator executable (e.g. ds.rod @ at adress 6EAD51h), or
  • input a database version which is unlikely to ever get updated (e.g. v 9999.99 year 2199)
wink.gif

Not that I would recommend all that (debugging a myriad of custom databases is not do-able). But if someone wants to tweak/customise...

Mr.Seiko said:
The Scene Release that we were mirroring has Recently modified their release list.

About that scene numbering change Mr.Seiko, to which Scene Release List are you referring?
Mr.Seiko said:
We are actually only behind about 40-50 releases as the DSI and DSI Enhanced releases are ignored on this listing.
DSi releases? You mean DSiWare, right?
Currently we are behind 59 releases (4106 update) / 12 releases (4162 update)
GBAtemp:4165 - 4174_Cloudy_With_a_Chance_of_Meatballs_USA_NDS-XPA
GBAtemp:4164 - 4173_IL_2_Sturmovik_Birds_of_Prey_EUR_MULTi5_NDS-BAHAMUT
GBAtemp:4163 - 4172_Scribblenauts_USA_NDS-2CH
GBAtemp:4162 - 4171_Mario_and_Luigi_Bowsers_Inside_Story_USA_NDS-XPA
GBAtemp:4161 - 4170_Marvel_Ultimate_Alliance_2_USA_NDS-XPA
GBAtemp:4160 - 4169_Pokemon_Soul_Silver_JPN_NDS-XPA
GBAtemp:4159 - 4168_Pokemon_Heart_Gold_JPN_NDS-XPA
GBAtemp:4158 - 4167_Mini_Ninjas_USA_NDS-XPA
GBAtemp:4157 - 4166_Dirt_2_USA_NDS-XPA
GBAtemp:4156 - 4165_Imagine_Detective_Adventures_EUR_MULTi9_NDS-BAHAMUT
GBAtemp:4155 - 4164_The_Bigs_2_USA_NDS-BAHAMUT
GBAtemp:4154 - 4163_Marker_Man_Adventures_NDS-VENOM

QUOTE(LordMelkor @ Sep 9 2009, 11:48 PM)
I just tried it, and Rominator doesn't actually overwrite the new file, so it's all good! I just slimmed down the database from 4000 something to 94 (the number of roms I have), and added in an entry for Layton 2. It was able to get the metacritic score and everything!

The entry information for Layton in case anyone is interested is posted below (I got the ID & CRC from cheats.gbatemp.net
Nice! I was wondering where to get the correct ID & CRC, overlooked completely the database from cheats.gbatemp.net.
Good to see it works out well for you.
yaynds.gif

unicorn7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Finally got that 4162 update here...

Works very well (titles/CRC seem correct to me), and as indicated, the numbering is changed to include (9) DSI enhanced releases (before 3921, numbering is the same).

to be exact:
DSi 0001 - Mon Coach Personnel: Mes Recettes Plaisir et Ligne (F) 3922
DSi 0002 - Classic Word Games (U) 3929
DSi 0003 - Classic Word Games (E) 3938
DSi 0004 - My Cooking Coach: Prepare Healthy Recipes (E) 3939
DSi 0005 - My Healthy Cooking Coach (U) 3949
DSi 0006 - Mein Koch-Coach: Gesund und Lecker Kochen (G) 3952
DSi 0007 - Bravissi-Mots (F) 3970
DSi 0008 - Il Mio Coach di Cucina: Prepara Cibi Sani e Gustosi (I) 3980
DSi 0009 - Mi Experto en Cocina: Comida Saludable (S) 4040
Mr.Seiko, thanks!! I will further look into it (pre 4106 (old numbering scheme) / pre-4115 (current numbering scheme).

edit: file rename conversion to 4162 update numbering goes fine, great job Mr.Seiko
bow.gif

edit2:
Problem: Covers are not updated correctly above 3921 to follow new numbering scheme (e.g. in Game List / DS Game Catalog).

Solution1: (Close Rominator and) delete in file explorer the .jpg files 3922.jpg until 4106.jpg in your application data folder (e.g. \Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Rominator Data\NDS Box Art\). Restart Rominator and redownload the covers online by browsing your list / DS Game Catalog in Rominator.

Solution2: update the above mentioned .jpg files with NDS_Box_Art_update_only_7z (4.26 MB) or NDS_Box_Art_7z (66,8 MB)

Mr.Seiko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
unicorn7 said:
Finally got that 4162 update here...

Works very well (titles/CRC seem correct to me), and as indicated, the numbering is changed to include (9) DSI enhanced releases (before 3921, numbering is the same).

to be exact:
DSi 0001 - Mon Coach Personnel: Mes Recettes Plaisir et Ligne (F) 3922
DSi 0002 - Classic Word Games (U) 3929
DSi 0003 - Classic Word Games (E) 3938
DSi 0004 - My Cooking Coach: Prepare Healthy Recipes (E) 3939
DSi 0005 - My Healthy Cooking Coach (U) 3949
DSi 0006 - Mein Koch-Coach: Gesund und Lecker Kochen (G) 3952
DSi 0007 - Bravissi-Mots (F) 3970
DSi 0008 - Il Mio Coach di Cucina: Prepara Cibi Sani e Gustosi (I) 3980
DSi 0009 - Mi Experto en Cocina: Comida Saludable (S) 4040
Mr.Seiko, thanks!! I will further look into it (pre 4106 (old numbering scheme) / pre-4115 (current numbering scheme).

edit: file rename conversion to 4162 update numbering goes fine, great job Mr.Seiko
bow.gif

edit2:
Problem: Covers are not updated correctly above 3921 to follow new numbering scheme (e.g. in Game List / DS Game Catalog).
Solution: (Close Rominator and) delete in file explorer the .jpg files 3922.jpg until 4106.jpg in your application data folder (e.g. \Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Rominator Data\NDS Box Art\). Restart Rominator and redownload the covers online by browsing your list / DS Game Catalog in Rominator.

Thanks for Confirmation that this is working for you.
Also great job recognizing the fact that we would have to delete and re-download the box art for it to display the proper art after the modification.

Sniffer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Haven't updated for a few weeks until today but it's now telling me that my roms from 3922 forwards are now not clean dumps whereas previously they were reported as being clean.

Any ideas ?

unicorn7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sniffer:
The numbering scheme has changed the last update (3922 and higher). Make sure your numbering is following current scheme and not the old numbering scheme (or a strange mix of both of them). In my reply you can see what I did to make sure of that (e.g. step 1: numbering conversion files. step 2: insering DSi-enhanced ROM's. step3. updating covers/cache.).

BTW: I had deleted my old lists containing old numbering scheme and created new lists with Rominator to check my files. This way the DB entries in my list contained the new numbering scheme. Not sure if it was a needed step, but to make sure it did follow new numbering scheme I did that (lists are saved in DB file: GameList.rod).

Sniffer said:
Have you been able to resolve the memory issue with the 256Mb roms ? Need to double check whether the CRCs are correct on them .....
To workaround that bug I used rZipper to compress the 256MB roms and get the CRC in the header so Rominator doesn't have to recheck them.
256MB Roms - New numbering scheme:

1458 - ASH - Archaic Sealed Heat (J) [MaxG]
1934 - Sunrise Anime Duke - Boku no Jyoushiki - Minna no Hijoushiki - Vol. 1 (J) [6rz]
2032 - Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2nd Season (J) [6rz]
2205 - Vitamin X Evolution (J) [CNBS]
2331 - 13-Sai no Hello Work DS (J) [iND]
2348 - Hiiro no Kakera DS (J) [iND]
2363 - Hisshou Pachinko Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series DS Vol. 2 (J) [iND]
2371 - La Guida in Cucina - Che si Mangia Oggi (I) [EXiMiUS]
2372 - Lecons de Cuisine - Qu'allons-nous Manger Aujourd'hui (F) [EXiMiUS]
2374 - Cooking Guide - Can't Decide What to Eat (E) [Xenophobia]
2375 - Cocina Conmigo! Que Preparamos Hoy (S) [EXiMiUS]
2379 - Kochkurs - Was Wollen Wir Heute Kochen (G) [SQUiRE]
2422 - Higurashi no Naku Koru ni Kizuna - Dai 1 Kan - Tatari (J) [iND]
2525 - Doki Doki Majo Shinpan 2 (J) [NEET]
2538 - Sangokushi Taisen Ten (J) [NEET]
2548 - Moe Star - Moeru Toudai Eigojuku (J) [NEET]
2584 - Harukanaru Toki no Naka de - Yumenoukihashi (J) [Caravan]
2586 - Tokyo Majin Gakuen - Kenpuuchou (J) [Caravan]
2590 - DS de Yomu Series - Tezuka Osamu Hi no Tori - Daiikan (J) [Dumper]
2591 - DS de Yomu Series - Tezuka Osamu Hi no Tori - Dainikan (J) [Dumper]
2592 - DS de Yomu Series - Tezuka Osamu Hi no Tori - Daisankan (J) [Dumper]
2618 - Shinseiki Evangelion - Ayanami Ikusei Keikaku DS with Asuka Hokan Keikaku (J) [Caravan]
2657 - Quiz Magic Academy DS (J) [CoolPoint]
2667 - Shinreigari - Ghost Hound DS (J) [DiPLODOCUS]
2700 - World Destruction - Michibikareshi Ishi (J) [DiPLODOCUS]
2906 - Star Wars - The Clone Wars - Jedi Alliance (U) (M3) [Xenophobia]
2971 - Star Wars - The Clone Wars - Jedi Alliance (E) (M4) [Xenophobia]
3007 - Quiz Magic Academy DS [v01] (J) [Sir VG]
3049 - Layton Kyouju to Saigo no Jikan Ryokou (J) [Caravan]
3068 - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kizuna - Dai-ni-Kan - Sou (J) [Caravan]
3112 - Blazer Drive (J) [iND]
3147 - Personal Trainer - Cooking (U) [Trashman]
3169 - Tales of Hearts - Anime Movie Edition (J) [iND]
3174 - Tales of Hearts - CG Movie Edition (J) [Caravan]
3178 - Gensou Suikoden Tierkreis (J) [Caravan]
3194 - Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series DS Vol. 3 - Shinseiki Evangelion - Yakusoku no Toki (J) [2CH]
3487 - Kimo Kawa E (J) [Caravan]
3512 - Suikoden Tierkreis (E) (M5) [Venom]
3516 - Bakumatsu Renka - Shinsengumi DS (J) [2CH]
3563 - Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Stardust Accelerator - World Championship 2009 (J) (M6) [iND]
3593 - Suikoden Tierkreis (U) [Xenophobia]
3628 - Eiken Kakomon Daishuuroku - Eiken DS 2 Deluxe (J) [Caravan]
3699 - Rhythm Paradise (E) (M3) [EXiMiUS]
3718 - Ouran Koukou Host-Bu DS (J) [BAHAMUT]
3724 - Tokimeki Memorial - Girl's Side 1st Love Plus (J) [BAHAMUT]
3725 - Vampire Knight DS (J) [BAHAMUT]
3773 - Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds Stardust Accelerator - World Championship 2009 (E) (M6) [iND]
3815 - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kizuna - Dai 3 Kan - Rasen (J) [BAHAMUT]
3819 - Kingdom Hearts - 358-2 Days (J) [NoRePack]
3822 - Rhythm Paradise (E) (M3) [BAHAMUT]
3833 - Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds Stardust Accelerator - World Championship 2009 (U) [OneUp]
3846 - Mugen Kouro (J) [NoRePack]
3926 - Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds - Stardust Accelerator - World Championship 2009 (K)(NEREiD) (K) (M3) [NEREiD]
3932 - Really Really DS (J) [iND]
3966 - Dragon Quest IX - Hoshizora no Mamoribito (J) [Caravan]
3982 - Suikoden Tierkreis (K) [d0b]
4037 - Doki Majo Plus (J) [BAHAMUT]
4038 - CR Shin Seiki Evangelion - Saigo no Shisha (J) [Caravan]
4088 - Item Getter (J) [iND]
4090 - Tsukibito (J) [iND]
4119 - Fushigi Yuugi DS (J) [High Road]
4152 - Love Plus (J) [iND]
NB: I worked on uncompressed ROMs, renaming inside ZIP isn't supported by Rominator afaik
Hope this helps

unicorn7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
mainnine said:
how are you getting these database updates?
With the update feature in Rominator which at this moment is maintained by volunteers (e.g. Mr.Seiko) who are appointed by hankchill, the original author of Rominator.
smile.gif

Ivoire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I'm having a problem with Rominator.

I've just downloaded it for the first time, and it isn't updating, at all. I tried dragging an old rom into it, New Super Mario Bros., and it wouldn't rename it, download box art, show it's icon, or anything else.

I tried deleting all the .rod files in the application data section of my computer, but that didn't work either.

Edit: I guess the issue worked out, cool.

stzehn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Will there be any Database Update in the near Future ? At the moment we are 72 behind actual lists.

I PMd Mr Seiko who maintains DB till now no response
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone