Homebrew Rom hacks for SNEmulDS

Ajlr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Can anyone give me a list of rom hacks that work on SNEmulDS. I'm using an R4. I tried The Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds and it worked. But then I tried New Super Mario World: Around the World and it didn't work. Please help.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not really going to happen for multiple reasons.
1) SNEmulDS is a fairly weak emulator of the SNES.
2) SNES ROM hacks have a nasty history of abusing flaws in old emulators to allow them to work where they would not work on hardware
3) In recent years ROM hackers have taken to expanding the scope of SNES ROMs quite extensively and that could well place it into a different category of ROM, or simply require a more accurate/powerful emulator.

In general if the base game works you stand a pretty reasonable chance of having it work with a hack. When the hacks start doing massive changes to things that bother the code then that is a different matter. Many older hacks, particularly of mario, are troubled as there will either be the things to abuse those flaws or be changed so radically that they warrant more emulation ability than SNEmulDS (and all the other DS emulators) provide.

Do make sure to check in a PC emulator -- SNES ROMs variously want headers or don't depending upon the patch chosen (read the NFO or download pages) so you might just have messed up the patching.

Reactions: wariobar

Ajlr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Thank you. I tried Super Mario World: Return to Dinosaur Land and it worked.

Ajlr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I also tried a bunch of Super Mario World ROM hacks below 4 MB and most worked.

Ajlr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I wish they should let SnemulDS support ROM hacks over 4 MB, support SA-1 chip games, and of course support Super FX chip games in the future.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wish they should let SnemulDS support ROM hacks over 4 MB, support SA-1 chip games, and of course support Super FX chip games in the future.
The devs of the various SNES emulators (and flash carts as it appears there) don't gate things off and cackle manically to themselves that they have denied their users the option to play something. Such things are physical extra chips that need to be recreated or otherwise handled and if you have limited resources (like you will on the DS -- it is mostly a 66MHz ARM9 with just under 5 megabytes of memory when all is said and done) then you might not even be able to do anything like real time emulation of such things.

Ajlr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I wonder why. I think they have too much work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh well. I don't even know about programming still. I'm still learning.

Ajlr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Why do they not care about consumers? A lot of people, including me, are yearning to play games like Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Mega Man X2, and more SNES games with enhancement chips on this emulator on the DS if they don't have money and only have a DS and a cellphone, like me.

Oh well, if it's impossible, that's OK. It's fine.

Ajlr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Or probably port those games on the DS. I think it's possible since the DS uses the SNES controller layout. I think the homebrew experts could figure that out.

Also you don't need to recreate the chips because the DS could handle 3d games, of course.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: There is an actual trailer with footage too. lol. Going to watch it tonight. Grabbed it from...