ROM Hack rom files are broken?

kobolite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i'm working on an rom hack of new super mario bros. today i wanted to see if the custom world map icons worked but when i start up the NSMBDS editor and then open the rom file of new super mario bros it says something with an overflow and sometimes it says that i don't have acces to the rom files because it's used in an different process. also when i load the rom files in an emulator (DeSmuMe) it also just closes the emulator. i think that the rom files are broken and that i need to re-install it. but i'm worried that i lose basically everything in my rom hack

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you restarted the machine? If the editor overflows it might still be active with the file open handle still active. If you can find the program that is still saying it wants it and close that then that is good too and you can avoid a restart, I always liked http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html for it but I am not sure if it still works on modern windows.

Depending upon what was done to the hack by the crashing program you might be able to pull something back -- most of the edits are hopefully still there in some capacity. How much effort that is remains to be seen -- hopefully it is just a file somewhere that got corrupt rather than the whole thing and you can then restore your world edits, or most of them at least, just fine. You may have to learn to hack things properly (or just use tinke and extract the files from your corrupt rom and inject them into a plain one if that will work) rather than just use a premade tool but it is hopefully not going to be too hard.
Otherwise "take backups", this would be the time you learn the importance of that bit of advice, everybody gets that some time.

kobolite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Have you restarted the machine? If the editor overflows it might still be active with the file open handle still active. If you can find the program that is still saying it wants it and close that then that is good too and you can avoid a restart, I always liked http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html for it but I am not sure if it still works on modern windows.

Depending upon what was done to the hack by the crashing program you might be able to pull something back -- most of the edits are hopefully still there in some capacity. How much effort that is remains to be seen -- hopefully it is just a file somewhere that got corrupt rather than the whole thing and you can then restore your world edits, or most of them at least, just fine. You may have to learn to hack things properly (or just use tinke and extract the files from your corrupt rom and inject them into a plain one if that will work) rather than just use a premade tool but it is hopefully not going to be too hard.
Otherwise "take backups", this would be the time you learn the importance of that bit of advice, everybody gets that some time.
i have downloaded the link that you gave me. but i couldn't find anything interesting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY