• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Roe V Wade has been repealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol, making an argument for your general case based on exceptions makes it incredibly weak. The case you are mentioning, the option of abortion remains open; when the life of the pregnant woman is in danger
in some state, abortion will still be illegal in case of raping or incest
Do you really think if the woman life is in danger it will change something for those states? I don't think so... they just don't care

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look, american hyperpolarization is at an historical high of any developed democracy ever by far. This indicates that people aren't by and large taking principled stances in general anymore.
We're polarized because the right-wing in this country has taken a hard right against civil rights and towards authoritarianism. That's nobody's fault except the political right's. I agree with you that people aren't taking principled stances anymore, but don't act like that's a problem on both sides.

No, I argue that in a cluster of different personalities, there are people who take the center points of culture (like sexual identity is one theses days) and use them to signal their purity to establish moral high ground. If banana eating was a center point of american culture, people would signal their purity through banana eating, it doesnt matter.
Or, people are coming out because they're LGBTQ and don't want to live in the closet or under an oppressive government that's more likely to be oppressive if they're invisible.

The fact that you're blaming out gay people for the right-wing stripping away people's rights is nonsensical and, frankly, just plain stupid.

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
Its not ilegal, its upto the states and not reated as a "right".

I am all for abortion. This will badly impact communities decimated by illegitimacy and crime. You know who I mean.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Look, american hyperpolarization is at an historical high of any developed democracy ever by far. This indicates that people aren't by and large taking principled stances in general anymore.
You're right, this type of regression has nothing to do with principles or morals. It's just idiotic nostalgia for a time period that sucked to begin with, but is now viewed through rose-tinted glasses. Same motivation behind Putin invading Ukraine and every other decision forced on us by narcissistic boomers.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We're polarized because the right-wing in this country has taken a hard right against civil rights and towards authoritarianism.
you're wrong, they are ALL IN FAVOR for guns

DbGt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Pregnancy should be a choice, yes. I am glad we agree.
Pregnancy has always been a choice, becoming pregnant has always been a choice. Ending someones right to life is not right

So you'd be happy with a state law that mandates you donate one of your kidneys to a stranger who needs it then? "The right to life should always be prioritized."
Nah, pregnancy is a physiological process, women are literally designed to get pregnant.

Removing a kidney is not. Bad example. Also, you are not ending anyone right to life.

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
We're polarized because the right-wing in this country has taken a hard right against civil rights and towards authoritarianism. That's nobody's fault except the political right's. I agree with you that people aren't taking principled stances anymore, but don't act like that's a problem on both sides.
When you see an historical high of hyperpolarization, it is the case that all sides start to take this kind of position, with all of them being comparativly correct in their way.
Or, people are coming out because they're LGBTQ and don't want to live in the closet or under an oppressive government that's more likely to be oppressive if they're invisible.
That'S a part of it for sure. But as soon as you make anything to a cultural centerpoint you will have moral signalers purity spiraling for moral high ground.
The fact that you're blaming out gay people for the right-wing stripping away people's rights is nonsensical and, frankly, just plain stupid.
? Where is this coming from?

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to see the conservatives all up in arms about taking away abortion rights while still holding on to their "you can't take away my guns" 2A rights. Both political parties might be crap, but only the Republicans are so blatantly full of hypocrisy that it's almost laughable.

Currently it seems like the current Republican movement seems to be:
Take away voting rights
Take away abortion (and by extent, women's) rights
Take away the ability to sue law enforcement
Reiterate the policy's jobs to be nothing more than ticket takers
Take away protesting rights
And give everyone guns.

Hope nobody gets radicalized enough to fight back against the government to give them reason to enact martial law.

Some of y'all are really f*cking weird.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pregnancy has always been a choice, becoming pregnant has always been a choice. Ending someones right to life is not right
you are in contradiction
Because even the first few states that illegalised abortion said that abortion was still legal within the first 6 weeks of pregnancy
Are you saying that the foetus is alive starting on 6th week?
come on...

DbGt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
in some state, abortion will still be illegal in case of raping or incest
Do you really think if the woman life is in danger it will change something for those states? I don't think so... they just don't care
Change what? it is already legal to have an abortion in those states if the woman`s life is in danger

SonowRaevius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the same people have already outlined they are also going after contraceptive, Gay Marriage, and LGBTQ+ people in general after this? Not great, honestly.

Seems kinda odd/hypocritical that the party of "Freedom and Less Government" is trying their best to get rid of freedoms and expand the government as long as it is to their liking.

Reactions: Lacius

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pregnancy has always been a choice, becoming pregnant has always been a choice.
Sex is not consent to become pregnant, and sex does not mean one chose to become pregnant.

Ending someones right to life is not right
An embryo is not a person, and even if it were, that wouldn't change the fact that a person should have a right to bodily autonomy.

Nah, pregnancy is a physiological process, women are literally designed to get pregnant.
You should look up the naturalistic fallacy.

Also, you are not ending anyone right to life.
If you don't give this stranger one of your kidneys, they die. It's an apt analogy.

That'S a part of it for sure.
It's all of it.

Where is this coming from?
You're blaming people for being out about their sexuality identities for their identities and liberties being attacked. It's victim-blaming, as well as ridiculous.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Change what? it is already legal to have an abortion in those states if the woman`s life is in danger
Pretty sure that if the baby can be saved, they won't care about the woman...
I mean, if the woman's life is in danger but the baby's isn't, they'll think "hey, a life is a life, fuck the woman, she'll live lesser than the baby, let's save the baby"

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And according to Clarence Thomas, same-sex relationships, marriage and contraception are next on the chopping block. Interracial relationships too, if I'm not mistaken.
Yep. He outright said so in his concurring opinion. I'm surprised he went out of his way to say it. In some of these cases, Roe was literally precedent for them. In others, now-old interpretations of the 14th amendment were the basis for the old rulings.

Either way, all of the things you listed would likely be struck down by this Supreme Court if those cases came before them.

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So therefore their right to their own body becomes moot when something that may eventually become life enters her body?

I bet you were against masks because it's your body, your rights, am I correct?

So it has a right before it even becomes a person? And you don't find that blatantly absurd in comparison to taking away the rights of someone who already is a person?

Reactions: The Catboy

Darthagnon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lol Americanski fighting over the things their overlords say are an issue. Why you all obsessed with killing/not killing babies? Not an issue anywhere outside of USA, it's just there your two parties have an interest and need a story to pull votes.

Abortion is not the issue, just don't sleep around and you won't have problems.

Reactions: Metal64

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And according to Clarence Thomas, same-sex relationships, marriage and contraception are next on the chopping block. Interracial relationships too, if I'm not mistaken.
Fucking piece of shit should be disbarred, and the fact that that's not even within the realm of possibility is a serious problem for our country. These decisions are just going to get more and more draconian until the shape of our new Christian Sharia law has been revealed in its entirety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...