Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What I don't understand is what was so hard. From what you've said, it was just supposed to check file integrity before running sysupdater.

Presumably the headers of .ttp's have the hash the file should have, so hash the file with md5 or whatever, match the result with the hash in the header, if they match unzip and run the rest of sysupdater. You could get that out in an afternoon, maybe take another day to make sure no C fuckery happened.
The point is, he bit off more then he could chew, and it's everyone else's fault.

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What I don't understand is what was so hard. From what you've said, it was just supposed to check file integrity before running sysupdater.

Presumably the headers of .ttp's have the hash the file should have, so hash the file with md5 or whatever, match the result with the hash in the header, if they match unzip and run the rest of sysupdater. You could get that out in an afternoon, maybe take another day to make sure no C fuckery happened.

That's what I thought until beta testing started. You get a thousand different kind of impossible errors from the same consoles.

The_Jesus_2.0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I'm gonna make a final statement about all of this. I didn't read everything because I'm too lazy for that.

First of all, and most importantly: what the heck? My name is JustPingo, and on Twitter I go: "Hey guys I'm making a downgrade app to have downgrade safer, what's your favorite name for it?". And then comes the shitstorm. Really? I can't understand how some of you actually believed KTM would be a ground breaking new thing. Of course it uses more securities, but you could as well implement it yourself in sysUpdater. To be completely honest, I began that project because my C was getting old, wanted to refresh it a bit in my mind.

And then when you begin to be stressed out because a deadline spawns from nowhere, people harassing you about having an ETA so you try to give one that you believe you can try to respect but you obviously won't be able to, not being able do it because other shitty things unrelated, this gets way worse than a simple C application.

This week, I spent all of my free time and parts of my nights trying to solve the problems KTM had, because I didn't want to make people that suddenly built hype around it to be disappointed. The deadline was coming, everything wasn't ready, and this was making me feel so bad I just decided to drop it.

I don't really care about what's coming next. If you feel like shouting out loud how dumb I am, then go ahead, I won't read anyway.

I'm still going to do things on my own, I'm still gonna say thing on Twitter. I enjoy making things, what I hate is pressure. I'm not gonna try to release anything now, so even if I say something, GBAtemp won't instantly ignite. Won't change much to you anyway.

What still makes me laugh is that some people are still taking seriously the hidden kernel exploit thing. Obviously this was a very dumb mistake coming from a too quick read of some code. That's it. They're not gonna hide kernel exploits there, they keep them in their own private folders. Nothing wrong with this btw.

My last tip to anyone making anything : don't release anything for free. It'll save you a lot of trouble.

So I guess that's it. I'm probably not gonna answer much about this now. Have a good life. And I still love every one of you. Mostly.

Don't pull this victim complex crap. You hyped something up and failed to deliver and now people see through your bullshit and they're calling you out on it. You've done this 3 times now. Maybe you shouldn't keep hyping shit you don't have or know works just to have a shot at the limelight.

People believed this was a groundbreaking thing because you and your friends told everybody to wait until KTM released to downgrade because the other downgraders would brick their 3DSs. You fear mongered people into thinking KTM was this fix-all solution and in reality you were doing nothing but hyping yourself up and hoping for your 15 minutes. Thank god those are up.

And you're telling people not to release anything for free? What would you know about releasing ANYTHING?

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France

We had an unknown issue with my 3DS. The checking worked, and everything worked for everyone, but the ZIP extracting failed for me.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'm not usually one to go on rants like this, but none of you guys are entitled to anything. It's people that keep hating on people and such like this that ticks me off. Devs don't have to do *anything* for you. But they do. You know why? Because they're nice enough to do it. You guys hated on me for starting a kernel research thread, and one of the original exploits I was trying to work on was actually nearly identical to SNShax. And JustPingo? He did do something. Just didn't release it publicly because idiots are doing stupid stuff to brick and he didn't want to deal with the hate from the bricks. You guys were talking about Gateway not hyping things, but remember where the SOON™ meme came from? Gateway. And smea? Hmmm...I wonder where Ninjhax came from? You know, the thing that lets you downgrade for your stupid piracy? Yeah, smea made that. You have a problem with the devs in the scene? Make your own exploit and homebrew.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Really was. Chillout @JBMSU, let the guy relax.
We leechers are already given all these new amazing things, and we're here to learn.
Don't have to shit and single out on a single other human :/
Gotta disagree here. Sure the angry rant is uncalled for but mentioning Justpingo and complaining isn't really too bad. He did hype it and now he's not releasing it. That's a very legitimate reason to complain.

dyingyam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We had an unknown issue with my 3DS. The checking worked, and everything worked for everyone, but the ZIP extracting failed for me.

I can see how unzipping could cause issues. But at the same time, you don't have to zip the files. I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but my knee-jerk solution would just be to hardcode a table that checks the checksums for the individual .CIAs from "that ISO site" (since it's confirmed to be working). Still would be an afternoon length project.

axemurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Want to know what worked for me?
Well after a LOT of tries, i saw in a post that you should boot ftp brony, wait 10 seconds, exit and boot sysupdater.
That did it for me in a n3ds

their problem isn't that they can't boot sysUpdater or go through the downgrading process. their issue is that no matter what they do, they get "an error has occurred" on bootup and the console is softbricked.

WilliamO7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, I'm not usually one to go on rants like this, but none of you guys are entitled to anything. It's people that keep hating on people and such like this that ticks me off. Devs don't have to do *anything* for you. But they do. You know why? Because they're nice enough to do it. You guys hated on me for starting a kernel research thread, and one of the original exploits I was trying to work on was actually nearly identical to SNShax. And JustPingo? He did do something. Just didn't release it publicly because idiots are doing stupid stuff to brick and he didn't want to deal with the hate from the bricks. You guys were talking about Gateway not hyping things, but remember where the SOON™ meme came from? Gateway. And smea? Hmmm...I wonder where Ninjhax came from? You know, the thing that lets you downgrade for your stupid piracy? Yeah, smea made that. You have a problem with the devs in the scene? Make your own exploit and homebrew.
To be frankly honest, this is what happens when you provide a free service/product to people not made by a company of some sort. They EXPECT more from it just because it's seemingly better (I mean, just look at a load of YouTubers, the exact same thing happens.)

Bull Moose 2016

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree for Smealum and a bit for Hykem but not for JustPingo, hes quite a cool guy and I talk with him frequently.
He does indeed have a working code but he failed trying to make it "userfriendly" and "noob-proof". That's where most likely any dev will fail since it's far too time consuming thinking of every twat and little sh*thead what he could be doing wrong...

I mean seriously there are little sh*theads out there who take out the battery while downgrading and then blame the dev that their 3DS is bricked so what are you still wondering about this community...

EDIT: Besides that Smealum is mostly a show-off, just follow him on Twitter and you'll get what I mean. He did some awesome things in this community but if it weren't for him someone else would have done it for sure.

Ripping on smea - literally the dumbest thing posted on this forum. The guy wrote almost every entry point you've used to run any of the code you're now using to downgrade your system. You'd be nowhere at all without him. You idiots seriously don't deserve anything from any developer. If I was looking into doing anything for the 3ds at the moment this kind of crap would make me run the other way so fast.

Coleman_C18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My last tip to anyone making anything : don't release anything for free. It'll save you a lot of trouble
If this includes making any images for your future projects I'm game, One too many times you said you had something before it was there... sorry
xdGRjy3.png

MV4KlaV.png

There you guys go, you can play compile a version of sysUpdater and pretend.

If you really want to go crazy, here are the images for his first project, espwn.
https://imgur.com/a/TtNhv
Fora9Ic.png

Last edited by Coleman_C18,

The_Jesus_2.0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nice straw man argument. Nobody ever said they had a problem with developers in the scene. The thing about Smealum and Gateway is when they hype something up, we can usually trust them to deliver because they have in the past and have shown that they are (usually) trustworthy (Looking at you Gateway). JustPingo has hyped up his "releases" three times now and has had nothing to deliver exactly three of those times. And I'm sick of hearing this "make your own stuff then!" argument, especially because that's 100% unrelated to Pingo not releasing anything again.

Ripping on smea - literally the dumbest thing posted on this forum. The guy wrote almost every entry point you've used to run any of the code you're now using to downgrade your system. You'd be nowhere at all without him. You idiots seriously don't deserve anything from any developer. If I was looking into doing anything for the 3ds at the moment this kind of crap would make me run the other way so fast.
Hey man. I like Smealum and all but Derrek and plutoo helped quite a bit too.
I agree with you 100% though.

Bull Moose 2016

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice straw man argument. Nobody ever said they had a problem with developers in the scene. The thing about Smealum and Gateway is when they hype something up, we can usually trust them to deliver because they have in the past and have shown that they are (usually) trustworthy (Looking at you Gateway). JustPingo has hyped up his "releases" three times now and has had nothing to deliver exactly three of those times. And I'm sick of hearing this "make your own stuff then!" argument, especially because that's 100% unrelated to Pingo not releasing anything again.

Hey man. I like Smealum and all but Derrek and plutoo helped quite a bit too.
I agree with you 100% though.

You're totally right. A lot of people had their hands in all of it. Including a ton of work from yellows8 that I think people forget about because he never talks about himself anywhere.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

m_babble

Elder Phantom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the perspective of someone with zero knowledge of coding that gets to sit back and enjoy the benefits of his and other people's work, I simply cannot understand how anyone would feel okay pestering him or talking down on him for being upset about how people have been treating him throughout this entire process.

He's 16 years old for fuck's sake, has who knows what going on in his life and is using his own time and talent to provide something for FREE that will bring anyone able to use it the satisfaction and likely hundreds of dollars worth of savings associated with having what could become a maximized handheld game system.

Seriously. Think about it.

The_Jesus_2.0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the perspective of someone with zero knowledge of coding that gets to sit back and enjoy the benefits of his and other people's work, I simply cannot understand how anyone would feel okay pestering him or talking down on him for being upset about how people have been treating him throughout this entire process.

He's 16 years old for fuck's sake, has who knows what going on in his life and is using his own time and talent to provide something for FREE that will bring anyone able to use it the satisfaction and likely hundreds of dollars worth of savings associated with having what could become a maximized handheld game system.

Seriously. Think about it.
Because he's done nothing but hype this up since he announced it. Like asking for a name and motto before he even had ANY kind of PoC? Who does that? Or constantly saying "No release today. tomorrow". You're inviting pestering and bother if you're going to put yourself out there just to get some undeserved attention, especially when you can't keep ANY of your promises and are notorious for doing just that.

m_babble

Elder Phantom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because he's done nothing but hype this up since he announced it. Like asking for a name and motto before he even had ANY kind of PoC? Who does that? Or constantly saying "No release today. tomorrow". You're inviting pestering and bother if you're going to put yourself out there just to get some undeserved attention, especially when you can't keep ANY of your promises and are notorious for doing just that.

I'm sorry, man, but that just sounds ungrateful still.

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess we need someone else to make something, because Sysupdater doesn't work for me...

you still having issues... I have found the easiest way to boot it up, I had a friend try 3 times.. and the last time he tried it with the information I gave..

just hmu

Coleman_C18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong, I think justpingo is a good guy 1 on 1, and I think he really does know what hes doing. But whats got people upset is the fact that hes jumped the gun announcing all of his projects. He has been warned many many times that its not a good idea to hype his stuff up.
Hes also taken the limelight in past projects from his fellow developers like @Mrrraou and @TuxSH(and so forth) to the point where people thought He was the one developing memchunkhax.

This time its just bit him too hard in the butt :(

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it