XP
Country
Canada
Riivolution v1.03
June 22nd, 2010
by Aaron, tueidj, Tempus, and megazig

Homepage
Download

Riivolution is an on-the-fly game patcher for use with retail discs. It allows users to place content on their SD or USB devices, which will be read by the game during regular play.
Riivolution can be used for custom textures, music, levels, memory patches, game translations, and more.

Mini-FAQ

Does Riivolution work with my "backups" or USB loaders?
No. And that's not a bug.

Does Riivolution work with my PAL/NTSC/JAP Wii/game?
Yes.

What IOS does it need installed?
Riivolution requires an updated IOS37; if you're on System Menu 4.2 or 4.3 you don't need to do anything.
If it's not installed or the proper version it will be installed the first time Riivolution is run.
Alternatively, you can also use NUSD or DOP-IOS to install it - with all patches disabled.

Does Riivolution work with Game X?
I probably haven't played it, but yes, it should; try it. If it doesn't work, report it - some games known to reload IOS will require specific patches to work.
Games that have specifically been tested include Fatal Frame 4, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Rock Band, among others.

What does the "Install" button do?
It will install a Riivolution channel onto your System Menu for easy access. This can always be uninstalled.

Can I use Ocarina / Gecko codes with it?
Normally, Riivolution just supports direct memory patches. However, Riivolution supports a patching method that ccan be used with the Gecko OS code handler.
Read more about that here

Uhh, how do I use this?
As a user, you need to either download patch packages made by someone else or make your own.
A basic template and packages for common games can be found here
For a more detailed explanation about Riivolution's patch XML files, check out the instructions

Network support? Awesome, how do I use it?
Read more about all of Riivolution's network features.
You can also check out our list of all the known public Riivolution servers.

Can I see it in action?
Sure.

Special thanks to everyone that contributed: Treeki, Omega, Pop006, TobiasAmaranth, Mooseknuckle2000, Skawo, and everyone else who helped out!

Changelog

v1.03
June 22nd, 2010
- System Menu 4.3 compatibility
- Wii slot light filesystem indicator
- Stability fixes for all filesystems
- Files close after a few seconds to allow them to be replaced over RiiFS
- Improved channel install
- No longer requires SD/USB
- RiiFS improvements
- Native C++ Server
- Connects automatically on a LAN without needing SD/USB

v1.02
March 28th, 2010
- Disc file addition
- More memory patch improvements
- Network hostname lookups
- Network stability improvements
- Games will now connect to the network alongside Riivolution/RiiFS
- Foreign character support in XMLs (Latin-1)

v1.01
March 22nd, 2010
- Memory patch improvements
- Mounted disk improvements
- Added network support

v1.0
March 20th, 2010
- Inital release

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
popoffka said:
AerialX said:
This ruined everything.

*Points to you and says the same thing*
This ruined everything.

Edit: I can't wait till someone assembles an awesome SSBB custom texture pack. Like, an ultimate collection of everything.
biggrin.gif

lazor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
When it comes to USB loading, you can manually replace files anyway. While support would be nice it's not the end of the world.
The thing with Riivolution is that you won't have to edit the iso every time you want to change something.

lazor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
Just be prepared for someone to code "RiiVolution Mod" to work with loaders. Just sayin. Don't get mad when it happens.
Right after the source code is obtained through brute force?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
lazor said:
dudeonline said:
Just be prepared for someone to code "RiiVolution Mod" to work with loaders. Just sayin. Don't get mad when it happens.

Ah, my previous statement was with the assumption the source was available. Still though, reverse engineering code isn't easy, but it isn't rocket science either.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yay, nice work gents. Been looking forward to the effect this will have on games - I expect a lot of fresh life breathed into some Wii classics here.

dudeonline said:
Ah, my previous statement was with the assumption the source was available. Still though, reverse engineering code isn't easy, but it isn't rocket science either.
Given the huge amount of time that went into perfecting this, I suspect reverse engineering or remaking Riivolution is much harder than you think. Keep in mind that most people's idea of "reverse-engineering" on the Wii scene means dip-patching an unpacked IOS (omg leet haxor amirite?). I think you'll find this a little more substantial.

lazor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
lazor said:
dudeonline said:

If it was really that easy to reverse engineer the program and decompile it somehow, why don't we have a lot more source code leaks on the internet? Wouldn't you like the source for photoshop or The Source Engine?

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
lazor said:
dudeonline said:
lazor said:
dudeonline said:

If it was really that easy to reverse engineer the program and decompile it somehow, why don't we have a lot more source code leaks on the internet? Wouldn't you like the source for photoshop or The Source Engine?

Source code is not (even rarely) needed to make a patch/crack. If that were the case, piracy wouldn't exist in the first place.

lazor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
lazor said:
dudeonline said:
lazor said:
dudeonline said:

Source code is not (even rarely) needed to make a patch/crack. If that were the case, piracy wouldn't exist in the first place.
You act like it's just a few variables that you can change if you look at the assembly code long enough.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
QUOTE said:
You act like it's just a few variables that you can change if you look at the assembly code long enough.

I'm not assuming anything actually. I'm sure measures were taken to make sure the .dol file couldnt be tampered with. I'm just saying I don't need the source for photoshop to crack it to run without valid activation.

Linkpal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I can feel pride knowing that buying a copy of New Super Mario. Bros. Wii didn't go to waste.

Thanks for your hard work, guys.

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
popoffka said:
AerialX said:
This ruined everything.
For the majority it does, but a FEW, MIGHT, appreciate it.

Props to you guys by the way sounds pretty cool but, uh, why isn't it open source and/or why was usb/backups excluded deliberately(from what it sounds like).???

Don't you know how to implement these features ??

just wondering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...