Hacking Riivolution

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
gameking66 said:
Does Riivolution specifically look for backups and not run or does it just not support them (via USB, meaning Disc backups should be supported via SNEEK or cIOSCorp or a modchip)?

This question was answered several times in this very thread. Riivolution's developers don't like backups and implemented the loading in a way that's not backup compatible. But it wasn't designed to do that, it's just a postive side effect from their point of view. And since it's closed source, this won't change.

There will be never a Riivolution mod that reads backups and/or plays from usb, forget it.

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
gameking66 said:
Does Riivolution specifically look for backups and not run or does it just not support them (via USB, meaning Disc backups should be supported via SNEEK or cIOSCorp or a modchip)?

This question was answered several times in this very thread. Riivolution's developers don't like backups and implemented the loading in a way that's not backup compatible. But it wasn't designed to do that, it's just a postive side effect from their point of view. And since it's closed source, this won't change.

There will be never a Riivolution mod that reads backups and/or plays from usb, forget it.

I was not implying that I want or even use USB backups. I was simply asking does it specifically prevent it (meaning it should check for disc backups since they can be run from the Wii System Menu like any other disc). Regardless, you seem to have answered my questions (at least, partially). From what I've seen they haven't implemented it in a way that's not backup compatible (unless Disc backups fail too), since you'd need to block SNEEK (restrict USB?), cIOSCorp (check for the DI module?), and modchips (modchip dependent).

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Backups on a softmodded Wii require a cIOS, an IOS that is modified to read backups and/or to read from usb.

Riivolution requires you to have an unchanged IOS37 installed, launches it, and then it patches the IOS in memory while it is running. This way allows it to work without modifying the nand and also makes it almost impossible to work on a cIOS.

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Backups on a softmodded Wii require a cIOS, an IOS that is modified to read backups and/or to read from usb.

Riivolution requires you to have an unchanged IOS37 installed, launches it, and then it patches the IOS in memory while it is running. This way allows it to work without modifying the nand and also makes it almost impossible to work on a cIOS.
Thank you! This means it should block cIOSCorp and possibly modchips, but won't SNEEK still be able to run Riivolution and backups with DI emulation?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
gameking66 said:
WiiPower said:

Thank you! This means it should block cIOSCorp and possibly modchips, but won't SNEEK still be able to run Riivolution and backups with DI emulation?

Blocks cioscorp, check
blocks modchips, no
Sneek runs modified IOS ==> won't work

I said backups require modified IOS to work, Riivolution grabs the IOS during runtime and patches it, it's almost impossible to get it to use a patched IOS.

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
gameking66 said:
WiiPower said:

Blocks cioscorp, check
blocks modchips, no

I said backups require modified IOS to work, Riivolution grabs the IOS during runtime and patches it, it's almost impossible to get it to use a patched IOS.
SNEEK doesn't need a modified IOS to run. I can use DI emulation with SNEEK and launch games with a clean NAND. (Though I'm assuming it might conflict with SNEEK's IOS patching {assuming it does patch the IOS at runtime to run with USB, I haven't looked through the DI emulation source.}).

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
It doesn't matter where sneek patches the IOS, it is using patched IOS.
No... it's doing the patching. It won't use an already patched IOS. There's a difference between the two
wink.gif

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
gameking66 said:
WiiPower said:

Blocks cioscorp, check
blocks modchips, no

Don't modchips patch IOS at runtime?

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
urherenow said:
WiiPower said:
It doesn't matter where sneek patches the IOS, it is using patched IOS.
No... it's doing the patching. It won't use an already patched IOS. There's a difference between the two
wink.gif
Yea this is what I thought. I was under the assumption that both SNEEK and modchips patch at runtime, so unless it conflicts with Riivolution patching, wouldn't it theoretically work?

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From my understanding, Riivolution only works if a clean, unpatched IOS37 is being used. Pursuant to this, Riivolution has checks for things that would mess with IOS37 (cIOSCORP, backup loaders) and will refuse to continue if something is wrong (not necessarily because these imply piracy, but more as means of avoiding unnecessary crashes). Modchips, which usually disregard signature checking, can sometimes work to a limited extent with Riivolution, but will generally fail on certain games that have alternate methods of sign checking.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
gameking66 said:
[...]Don't modchips patch IOS at runtime?

Where did you read that??? Modchip only patch the drive chip, they don't do anything to the nand, the processor and don't touch the memory. Only simple modifications of the drive firmware so it reports to the wii that the inserted disc is a valid disc.

gameking66 said:
urherenow said:
QUOTE(WiiPower @ Mar 26 2010, 09:58 AM) It doesn't matter where sneek patches the IOS, it is using patched IOS.
wink.gif
Yea this is what I thought. I was under the assumption that both SNEEK and modchips patch at runtime, so unless it conflicts with Riivolution patching, wouldn't it theoretically work?

Riivolution only works on a clean IOS37, if you have something special like nand emulation or running backups, you are NOT using a clean IOS.

Let's finally stop this discussion. Riivolution only works with retail discs and modchips(+discs), and there will never be support for backups, neither official nor unofficial. It's impossible by design and that can't be changed because it's closed source.

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
Dantarion has the Ocarina handler working for Brawl - when his xml is finished, he has said he’ll put out a brawl version and a non-brawl version. After that point, it should be trivial for you to port in your own codes - just drop a gct file into a specific place and it’ll go.

If you’re a dev and want to try it out yourself (for the curious or impatient), do the following:

- Make an ocarina patch entry to put in your hook (rip them from Gecko source, I guess)
- Use a memory patch to pop in the codehandler.bin (base mem address is 0x00000000 for now btw)
- Use another memory patch to drop in a gct file to where the codehandler can read it

It’ll need tweaking, since I don’t know that much more about it! If you think it’s too complicated, in a week or less a proper Ocarina plug-n-play solution should be available. You’ll be able to apply all the normal Riivolution xml stuff to them, so it will be easy to switch between any gcts you have prepared with a little planning.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Here's what NeoGamma does, i hope it helps to get it to work on Riivolution:
Read the main.dol into the memory where it belongs
Patch the hook inside the main.dol*
Patch the main.dol with the multi .dol hook*
Clear the memory from 0x80001800 to 0x80003000
Copy the code handler into memory
If paused start is selected, write that into the correct memory area as well
Copy the multi .dol handler into memory
Write the info which hook is used into memory for the multi .dol handler
Copy 6 digits of the discid to 0x80001800
Get the code list range from gameconfig.txt
Clear the code list range(important! Code handler and code list range overlap)
Copy the codes to the code list range
Poke memory stuff from gameconfig.txt(required for Brawl+)
Use different than usual asm code to boot the game

*The code to do that is actually asm code, if the xml code is powerful enough to do the same, then i'm really impressed

All in all i don't think that Ocarina/Wiird can work in Riivolution without some changes to it. Ok, to he honest i don't know what all is possible with its xml stuff, but patching the hooks and actually booting the game looks difficult to me

PS: I hope i did not forget an important step, i tend to do that when it comes to Ocarina/Wiird

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Remfin said:
Have you read up on the patching format, WiiPower? Specifically the section on memory patching and Ocarina patches? If everything you're talking about happens before the game runs then I believe Riivolution will do it.

BTW, people should really move this over to the official release thread. It's silly there are two threads that keep being replied to with the same name.

Agreed. This was more of an "announcement" thread than a real thread about it. Think of it as the cIOS threads- there's the announcement thread and the "oshit it's out" thread. I'd like this one closed if a mod happens to see this.

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
Trophies
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
Country
Canada
Codify said:
skawo96 said:
Jeez.

I love how it gets released, and the first thing you want to do is enable pirating with it.
Good job guys, _g o o d_ job.
Well, for a game like Fatal Frame which now isn't available from any legitimate retail outlets (including Play Asia) piracy is the only choice if you want to play the game. Plus even for the games I own (my internet connection is slow so I usually buy games on ebay rather than waiting days and days to d/l them illegally) I tend to rip them to my HDD for faster loading times. Pretty dick move to block out legit users of USB drives.
http://www.yesasia.com/us/zero-tsukihami-n...-0-en/info.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb