News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
mvgc3 said:
OriginalHamster: It's pretty obvious that WiiBricker simply dislikes the fact that Riivolution is only compatible with retail games.

I do find it hilarious how hard hes trying to defend himself despite being proven wrong so easily every step of the way. Also, I'm laughing at the fact that he'd probably be the first to make a topic like "Now that Riivolution is open source who's gonna make it backup compatible?".
You're damn wrong. I wouldnt use Riivolution for piracy. Im not that pirate that many others are used to be.

It just pisses me off that homebrew developers made a better AP than Nintendo and those homebrew developers have an ego like Chuck Norris.

Oh, and please let the authors of Riivolution answer my questions, thanks
smile.gif

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
It is not unusual that software comes with multiple licenses; it's a decision of *all* authors. The only problem is if an other author add code using explicit one license the other licenses becomes invalid when using this new code too.

BTW:
The homebrew projects live because sharing info and source. And I hate to see discontinued closed source projects, when others want to continue the project (or only want a bug fix).

Reactions: Deleted User

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Wiimm said:
It is not unusual that software comes with multiple licenses; it's a decision of *all* authors. The only problem is if an other author add code using explicit one license the other licenses becomes invalid when using this new code too.
Thanks for the clarification. Lets say the authors of Riivolution added code from another licence and released their app under "freeware". Is that technically a valid licence?

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 out of 5 of the authors you listed DID answer here, and they all said you were wrong.

Did they actively put anti-piracy in Riivolution? I can't think of much homebrew that actually goes out of it's way to prevent it, most just simply don't support it. I'd bet it's more of a mutual respect between devs in this case: why ruin a great app with a lot of potential by mucking around with it.

For the record, I never said piracy, though it was admittedly implied. Even with that being the case, I'm not a hypocrite, and it wasn't said judgmentally.

Ultimately, I still think this whole grudge you have against these devs is uncalled for, and that you're incorrect about it in the first place.

Freeware isn't a license, its a general descriptor, literally referring to free software. I think what Wiimm was getting at is that Tantric can release libWiiGui to the general public under once license, and the Riivolution dev team under another.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to stick to my guns and remind everyone that if you really don't like how someone has written or licensed their app, you are not obliged to use it and are free to write your own app to perform your desired features on your own time.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
mvgc3 said:
3 out of 5 of the authors you listed DID answer here, and they all said you were wrong
Of course they said I was wrong, because they dont want to release the source, but they havent ultimately proven me wrong yet.
Besides, they did not respond to all of my questions because people like yourself interfered.

And Im not going to respond to your baseless accusations anymore. Just get a life.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The fact is, Tantric can re-release his code under a completely different license at his own discretion. That's what happened here. Tantric relicensed LibWiiGUI ONLY to tueidj and AerialX. Whatever license he chose is free of GPL requirements. Tantric wrote the code, Tantric chose the license, Tantric, and ONLY Tantric can change that or grant exceptions. Here is an article by Richard Stallman on the issue http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/selling-exceptions Read it and shut up. You don't argue with Stallman.

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made ONE accusation, which I somewhat apologized for when you stated otherwise. Though to be fair, you are indeed the one making baseless accusations against the authors of Riivolution. Not only that but if I have no life for replying to your public forum posts (which I've done a grand total of twice now), you have at least as little of a life considering your rampant copy pasting of the Wiki article of the GNU GPL.

Oh, and you conveniently left out this section:

QUOTE said:
Linking and derived works
Libraries

Note that according to the FSF, "The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them."[35] However if one releases a GPL-licensed entity to the public, there is an issue regarding linking: namely, if a proprietary program uses a GPL library, is the proprietary program in violation of the GPL?

This key dispute is whether or not non-GPL software can legally statically link or dynamically link to GPL libraries. Different opinions exist on this issue. The GPL is clear in requiring that all derivative works of code under the GPL must themselves be under the GPL. Ambiguity arises with regards to using GPL libraries, and bundling GPL software into a larger package (perhaps mixed into a binary via static linking). This is ultimately a question not of the GPL per se, but of how copyright law defines derivative works. The following points of view exist:

This whole topic is, has been, and probably will long be up for debate.

SpAM_CAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WiiBricker said:
Ok I have to go to work now. Will contact a person that is familiar with this whole shit and respond later.

Bye

You are such a nob-end. Read through this thread again, and see how much fail you're spewed onto the internet.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Wiimm said:

BTW:
The homebrew projects live because sharing info and source. And I hate to see discontinued closed source projects, when others want to continue the project (or only want a bug fix).
I agree with this post, open source is best.
Many of us here have a hobby of getting apps and making very small minor changes to make the app work slightly more customised to our needs, never claiming to be a great coder...but acorns and tress n all that.

Without open source code to "play" with then imho a lot of things that go on around here would be boring.

If this is all centred around Tantrics libWiiGUI then it should be simple to solve. Just check to see if there are any other authers of libWiiGUI, or if it uses anyone elses code. If there are other authers of code ask them, if it's only Tantric then ask him.

I'm not sure, but I think it's all Tantrics code, if that's the case then even if you argue saying it has already been released under GPL, Tantric could change 1 line and call it original and not use GPL with this "new" code.

I would love to have a peek at the source of this fine app myself but I don't think we're gonna on this one. Shame but at the end of the day at least we get this app which is better than nothing in the long run.

I wonder why there is no alternative though that runs with some USB loader except for Wii scrubber and doing it manually, hmm not even in early development. Not for the Wii, or even a pc based app. Maybe those people that REALLY want that should get together and start something ?

All they need to do is find the best current way to do what they want, find ways to make it more simple and automated to save time and get people interested in helping. Post a guide of the best way to do it now (what ever it is you're trying to do) copy and paste it everywhere, and I'm sure people will post ideas that can be worked on and tell you better ways to go about it. Then get a "plan" of what features you want and try to check 1 off at a time, no matter how small...if it helps....it helps. imho this would be a great way to move forward no matter what happens with the release of this source.

Riivolution is quality, shame it's not open source. Much respect to all the devs that worked on it and anyone who tries to make more apps like it or alternatives
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4