WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So the authors of Riivolution (Aaron "AerialX", tueidj, Tempus, megazig) wont provide the source of their application because of piracy, right?
Ironicly Riivolution contains GPL licenced code (it uses Tantrics libWiiGUI, which is licenced under GPLv2) which means, they HAVE TO provide the source. Yet they are simply violating the GNU GPL.

And they are violating Wiibrews rules too, because every application on Wiibrew has to be released under GPL.

QUOTE said:
Content that violates Wiibrew's policies will be deleted, and may result in a block. You irrevocably agree to release your contributions under the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2.

There's technically no difference in violating copyright of Nintendo by sharing games and violating the GNU GPL. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement.

So if you dont release the source, you're not better than pirates.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you consulted Tantric (the author of LibWiiGUI) before making your accusation, you would know that he granted us an exception. As for all applications on wiibrew being required to be GPL, that's a load of bullshit - your quote refers to contributions to their wiki (GNU FDL, not GPL).

Congratulations on failing not once, but twice.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
WiiBricker said:
There's technically no difference in violating copyright of Nintendo by sharing games and violating the GNU GPL. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement.

So if you dont release the source, you're not better than pirates.
I'd expect to see this kind of reasoning on anti-piracy fora. But on a forum like this (where at least 90% of the peeps are swashbuckling rum-drinkers), it just sounds stupid. We know damn well that there is a difference between stealing code for personal gain (which is, in the case of video games, not having to pay for games), or stealing code without making a profit. And because riivolution is freeware, it's certainly NOT up to par with other kinds of piracy.

...and that is without taking tueidj's post into account.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Riivolution uses GPL licenced code, so it HAVE TO released under the GPL. According to the GPL you HAVE TO release sources of GPL licenced apps and Riivolution is licenced under GPL, period.

QUOTE said:
The terms and conditions of the GPL must be made available to anybody receiving a copy of the work that has a GPL applied to it

QUOTEThe fourth section for version 2 of the license and the seventh section of version 3 require that programs distributed as pre-compiled binaries are accompanied by a copy of the source code, a written offer to distribute the source code via the same mechanism as the pre-compiled binary or the written offer to obtain the source code that you got when you received the pre-compiled binary under the GPL. The second section of version 2 and the fifth section of version 3 also require giving "all recipients a copy of this License along with the Program". Version 3 of the license allows making the source code available in additional ways in fulfillment of the seventh section. These include downloading source code from an adjacent network server or by peer-to-peer transmission, provided that is how the compiled code was available and there are "clear directions" on where to find the source code.

I can understand that you dont want to believe it, but you guys violates the GNU GPL regardless of Tantrics permisson.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think you're failing to understand that seeing as Tantric created LibWiiGUI, he can do whatever he wants with it. That includes granting us permission to use it without having to abide by the conditions in the GPL.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
tueidj said:
I think you're failing to understand that seeing as Tantric created LibWiiGUI, he can do whatever he wants with it. That includes granting us permission to use it without having to abide by the conditions in the GPL.

Oh, and you can prove it, right?

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
tueidj said:
Prove that we have permission? Go ask him yourself, if you want to be annoying.
No, prove that the GPL explicit states that Tantric as the author of libwiigui can grant you permission to use it without having to abide by the conditions in the GPL.

Btw, you (tueidj) did not violate the GPL just once, but twice. You didnt provide the source of SuperDump though it contains GPL licenced code from Jeff Epler, right?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
He OWNS it. He can do whatever he wants with it.

And no, it does not. The Wii DVD commands are well documented and are included in libdi/libogc (but I didn't use libdi either).

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
Trophies
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
Country
Canada
You just don't know when to give up, do you? None of this even needed to be done in public, but I guess you just wanted to showcase some sort of Riivolution downfall drama. No surprise that you've done nothing but make a fool of yourself.

Tantric owns the source, end of story. He can release it under whatever license he wants to whoever he wants - ever heard of dual licensing?

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
tueidj said:
He OWNS it. He can do whatever he wants with it.
Then please provide me with a quote from the official GNU General Public Licence and I wont complain anymore.

QUOTE(tueidj @ Sep 8 2010, 06:27 AM) And no, it does not. The Wii DVD commands are well documented and are included in libdi/libogc (but I didn't use libdi either).

So you didnt use the wdvd.cpp in SuperDump?

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
WiiBricker said:
tueidj said:
Prove that we have permission? Go ask him yourself, if you want to be annoying.
No, prove that the GPL explicit states that Tantric as the author of libwiigui can grant you permission to use it without having to abide by the conditions in the GPL.

Btw, you (tueidj) did not violate the GPL just once, but twice. You didnt provide the source of SuperDump though it contains GPL licenced code from Jeff Epler, right?
Try reading the actual link you provided in your first post specifically the final paragraph of section 5 - to paraphrase:
"Inclusion of a covered work in an aggregate does not cause this License to apply to the other parts of the aggregate."

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ever heard of "Copyleft"? No? Too bad. Read this: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/

QUOTE said:
In the GNU project, our aim is to give all users the freedom to redistribute and change GNU software. If middlemen could strip off the freedom, we might have many users, but those users would not have freedom. So instead of putting GNU software in the public domain, we “copyleft” it. Copyleft says that anyone who redistributes the software, with or without changes, must pass along the freedom to further copy and change it. Copyleft guarantees that every user has freedom.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I'm not sure how the legal thing works to be honest, I'm fairly ignorant in that regard, but what is the purpouse to get into the development of an already stable app?, I'm speaking from a final user perspective.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
WiiBricker said:
Ever heard of "Copyleft"? No? Too bad. Read this: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/

QUOTE said:
In the GNU project, our aim is to give all users the freedom to redistribute and change GNU software. If middlemen could strip off the freedom, we might have many users, but those users would not have freedom. So instead of putting GNU software in the public domain, we “copyleft” it. Copyleft says that anyone who redistributes the software, with or without changes, must pass along the freedom to further copy and change it. Copyleft guarantees that every user has freedom.
And again from the same document:
Copyleft is a general concept, and you can't use a general concept directly; you can only use a specific implementation of the concept. In the GNU Project, the specific distribution terms that we use for most software are contained in the GNU General Public License (available in HTML, text, and Texinfo format). The GNU General Public License is often called the GNU GPL for short. There is also a Frequently Asked Questions page about the GNU GPL. You can also read about why the FSF gets copyright assignments from contributors.

What's that you are clutching in your hand? Oh yeah its straws.

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OriginalHamster: It's pretty obvious that WiiBricker simply dislikes the fact that Riivolution is only compatible with retail games.

I do find it hilarious how hard hes trying to defend himself despite being proven wrong so easily every step of the way. Also, I'm laughing at the fact that he'd probably be the first to make a topic like "Now that Riivolution is open source who's gonna make it backup compatible?".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: