Riddick trailer

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Veho, May 15, 2013.

1. Veho
    OP

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb

I'm going to call this Pitch Black 2, since it seems closer to the first movie than to the Chronicles. Anyway, can't wait for some Riddickulously over the top shenanigans.

XDel, Densetsu, Sagat and 2 others like this.
  2. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Interesting trailer ...
    I'll certainly see it when it comes out

3. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I've been waiting so long for this movie to get released! I've been a fan of this series for a long time.

4. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I really liked Pitch Black... and really hated Chronicles of Riddick. I can appreciate that this is going in the direction of the former rather than the latter, but I'm afraid they'll stick too close to the formula.

Still, can't be any worse than Chronicles, right?

5. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Why do you think Chronicles is so bad?

6. Veho
    OP

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I dunno, I really enjoyed Chronicles. It did take a massive dump on the established (well, hinted at) setting of the first movie and was set in a different universe entirely (but still pretended to be a sequel), but on its own it was a pretty entertaining bit of space pulp.

Sagat likes this.
  7. RedCoreZero

RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

Banned
    Nov 12, 2012
    United States
    Lived in Florida
    Came for the dick.

8. Veho
    OP

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Sorry, we got rid of dick.

maniax300 likes this.
  9. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I had a lot of problems with the movie, but I think my biggest was that it just wasn't Riddick. The whole draw of the first movie is that Riddick is a bad guy, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. He's as much of a monster as the creatures hunting them. That's what makes the whole film work, and that's what makes the conflict interesting. Sure, he finds some humanity by the film's end, but his development is minimal at best.

Then the second film comes around and Riddick is just a grizzled anti-hero. There's no threat or danger with him whatsoever. Not only that, everything revolves around him now. He's not just a wanted, dangerous criminal - he's the chosen one! The last of a dead race! And he has to save the universe from the evil-BDSMmpire! Also there's elemental beings now! Because? It's tone is completely, radically off.

Chronicles trades everything that made Pitch Black work for bad ideas. It feels less like they made a coherent followup and more like they just filmed Vin Diesel's personal fan fic.

10. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I get what you mean. I loved that he was a bad guy. I'm guessing Chronicles would have been better as a standalone movie rather than a sequel. At least it had a sick last fight.

11. wafflebeard

wafflebeard Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    New film looks good, I've been waiting for a while for it.

I heard that Chronicles was planned to be the first of a trilogy of Riddick films, making this one the middle film and Pitch Black would be The Hobbit to Chronicles' LOTR.

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I would possibly second a call for Chronicles to be to pitch black as post 3 Die Hard films are to Die Hard.

Question as I have not seen it mentioned thus far -- where does dark fury sit for those that disliked Chronicles? Second one -- the game?

13. narutofan777

narutofan777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 27, 2010
    Afghanistan
    im laughing at this trailer. this movie is for 12 year old to watch. lots of shooting, killing and childish stupid dialogue.

vin diesel came back for this?? :wacko: the movie reviews are gonna torch this movie when it comes out. same for superman..im not sold by zack snyder all his movies have a bad rating.. they r trying to hype up superman like its some good film lol..:lol:

14. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Hey, don't be discouraged. You're only a few birthdays away, right?

Rydian, Veho and wafflebeard like this.
  15. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    HOLY SHIT IT'S STARBUCK.

16. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Rather enjoyed Chronicles... Definitely felt different from Pitch Black, but Pitch Black was isolated to a small area of a single planet while Chronicles had a whole universe to play around in. The fact that we didn't see Necromongers or action-anti-hero Riddick in Pitch Black does little to negate their existence.

Plus, Pitch Black certainly focused on Riddick. I saw all of the advertising leading up to it. I saw it in the theater within a week of its release. It was all based around Riddick and whether he would be the savior out of the bunch.

17. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Been reading about and waiting on this for a LONG time!!!