Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by aliaspider, Nov 6, 2016.

1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Have the DSI errors been completely eliminated? As I recall, changing games or cores repeatedly triggered them?

2. jesus96

jesus96 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2015
    Mexico
    lastest rpx bundle through the retroarch channel, it worked with old builds but for some reason now im getting the dsi error with all the cores

FB alpha:everytime in the 2012 and the normal version
    Mame:only the 2003 version works but like 10% of the times
    Snes:random fails, it basically works like 80% of the times using the snes9x version (i haven't tried the other versions)
    VBA:this is the most stable during launch but it can fail during 50 min - 1:30 hours of gameplay
    Nes:no problems here

3. SnakeEater

SnakeEater Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2017
    Germany
    somebody knows if there i some news to the psx core?
    Even the Xbox one got a working PSX Port in Retroarch.

4. Slaminger

Slaminger Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2019
    Canada
    vancouver/winnipeg
    Any chance of mame without any year? Just old fashioned mame .it's the only one that plays CDI, hotel mario and Zelda on Wii u seems fitting .

Garcimak, hug0-a7x and CORE like this.
  5. Slaminger

Slaminger Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2019
    Canada
    vancouver/winnipeg
    I'm trying to figure out how one makes the rpx file for the cores but can't find much info. The dll files from retroarch are encrypted or hexcoded, but the rpx looks like binary code. The kind of stuff i see in Sega and Nintendo eprom dumps for games. Did you convert it somehow? If I can figure out how the op does this I'll try to port it myself. Perhaps you can just teach me how and I can help you? I'm a software developer, and I work on emulators for retro pie on the tinkerboard, which is debian Linux .

Last edited by Slaminger, Apr 3, 2019
    Mikey242 and september796 like this.
  6. JohnnyGo

JohnnyGo Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    United States
    Is following the guide in OP still the correct way to set this up?

7. Maxbeta

Maxbeta GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2014
    United States
    How can I succesfully make shortcuts for a game like Castlevania X Rondo of Blood on my lists?

Everything else works but this one is not loading.

Do I reference the bin or cue?

8. cyb0rg

cyb0rg Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2014
    United States
    I just set this up and it's working. Here's what I did.

1. Downloaded: https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/wiiu/2019-01-01_RetroArch_rpx.7z
    2. I extracted the "retroarch" folder within the root of the zip to the root of the SD card. (You may not need to include the items in the "cores" subfolder but I did it anyway.)
    3. I then extracted from the ZIP to SD card: ZIP:\wiiu\apps\retroarch\ to SD:\wiiu\apps\retroarch\ (I didn't bother with the many other folders.)
    4. After opening the RetroArch app on WiiU through homebrew, I went through and updated the various options available (such as 'assets')
    5. From there, the SNES core I tried was working fine.

There is probably a better way to do it, but this worked for me.

Last edited by cyb0rg, Apr 4, 2019
    JohnnyGo and the_randomizer like this.
  9. JohnnyGo

JohnnyGo Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    United States
    Awesome, thanks!

10. Radius4

Radius4 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 10, 2015
    Ecuador
    XBONE is x86

Not enough memory

11. CORE

CORE 3:16

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    The Wii U has plenty of Memory 2GB Yes I read somewhere that only 1GB is allocated to Games etc and the rest is System related but even still there is more than enough besides that extra RAM can be accessed via Homebrew anyway im sure things is still early days Homebrew on Wii U.

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Doesn't help that many devs have jumped ship to Switch.

CORE likes this.
  13. Slaminger

Slaminger Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2019
    Canada
    vancouver/winnipeg
    I unzipped the zip, put retroarch folder at root, the folder that goes in wiiu in there, then installed retroarch as a channel so I don't need to launch Homebrew launcher to open it.

Last edited by Slaminger, Apr 4, 2019
  14. Radius4

Radius4 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 10, 2015
    Ecuador
    It would be a single 200+MB binary.
    Also assuming that's not a problem, current era MAME requires C++14 IIRC I don't think the homebrew toolchain has that

CORE likes this.
  15. CORE

CORE 3:16

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    @Radius4 We do have a new toolchain in the works as I said even though Homebrew has been going for awhile it is still early days but it is also true what @the_randomizer said again and again and yet again time again and again lol.

I see ur point the Binary size is too excessive but a bit of a rewrite would be in order but by who I guess.

Hopefully though regarding RetroArch atleast in future more Cores will be ported
    it just X86 and Arm the target platforms for say optimum performance then everything else comes next.

Last edited by CORE, Apr 5, 2019
    the_randomizer likes this.
  16. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    The latest devkitPPC runs on gcc 8.1, so C++14 should be doable. Last I checked RetroArch has a zip somewhere with an older devkitPPC though, so that leaves things up in their air a little. I'd be reluctant to poke that bear though - it seems to work okay right now, and once wut gets together most of the build system would be slated for a date with the nearest window anyway.
    (I'm not allowed to work on any apps using make until this is done, so that's why I'm only talking at the moment. now, if y'all wanna use cmake...)

CORE likes this.
  17. Radius4

Radius4 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 10, 2015
    Ecuador
    That's cool.
    That said I don't want to imagine the buildtime :P, the buildbot takes roughly 1 hour per commit to build wiiu due to elf2rpl (or something like that I don't remember) being so slow.

18. Slaminger

Slaminger Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2019
    Canada
    vancouver/winnipeg
    My issue is I don't know anything about rpx files .I do debian Linux emulator stuff. I looked into one and it looks like binary code, like I said a while back, if I took a Sega cartridge n took the eprom and read it, it looks like that .

19. Slaminger

Slaminger Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2019
    Canada
    vancouver/winnipeg
    Ok, so can someone explain or point me to where I learn how to convert the cores to rpx files? I can't find any decent documents. Also Wii had sldmame, I read that was based on an earlier version of mame. I'll see if that works.

Last edited by Slaminger, Apr 9, 2019
  20. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom